Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 10-04-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
Secret Elegance

Secret Elegance is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Secret Elegance
Cool

Secret Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Dalvardar

Dalvardar is on a distinguished road
For me, it depends on what I want to do. Sometimes, I feel that having a extremely detailed history can hinder possible RP storylines. I try to leave mostly every major event open ended, so quite literally anyone can interact with it. (So, say, for example... Before actual RP, the character may have been turned into a vampire. I'd leave out the details as to how, or maybe even completely negate the memory from the character as to try and encourage others to interact with him and develop the character's past through RP.) Of course... That could be seen as being lazy, but to me, it leaves a lot more options open for future RP.
Dalvardar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Some games require a written background during an approval phase prior to your character's first appearance in the game.

For the games that don't, that I've played, I find it useful to have a general idea of who my character is before she shows up for the first time. This way, I don't have to try and remember "What was her dad's name again?" because it have it written in a notepad file somewhere.

Who were her parents? What kind of family life did she live? Is her family still alive, or dead? If alive, what do they do for a living, and if dead, was it some kind of traumatic death that would make an impact on my character?

Does she have siblings? Did she have a normal childhood or something unusual? What were her adult years like up until she shows up? What led her to the decision to "be" a warrior/sorcerer/insert skillset here?

Does she have any noticeable eccentricities or twitches? Why?

Usually providing just that much info is enough, and it can be written in a single paragraph. Example:

Jenny's mom Agatha was a whore who died from a spice overdose at the age of 27. Her dad was probably one of mom's customers. She has no idea. Her life was pretty typical of a southern Rinth-rat, and survival instincts led her to seek the shadows for safety. When she's nervous she bites her fingernails, which are usually torn and bloodied since she's nervous most of the time.

The end.

Simple but gives a general idea of why Jenny is the way she is, and the path she's currently walking. What she does at this point depends on the gameplay, but at least we know what led her to this moment.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote

RP writing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Description Writing Zion-Altari MUD Builders and Areas 5 03-10-2006 09:06 PM
Writing Your Own Mudlib greenthang MUD Coding 1 02-21-2006 10:04 PM
Please Critique: Writing a MUDLib angelbob MUD Coding 0 09-30-2004 10:11 PM
Creative Writing Contest Ntanel MUD Builders and Areas 49 07-03-2004 08:19 PM
Writing reveiws willico2004 Newbie Help 2 06-18-2004 08:39 PM