Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 09-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Selzion_Rift

Selzion_Rift is on a distinguished road
Searching for a Certain MUD...

Greetings! While I'm not exactly a MUD veteran (I don't even know how to code), I wouldn't consider myself a newbie to MUDs, either. I'm trying to find a certain MUD...Yes, I'm a tad picky. I've always been fond of IRE games, since the credit system never bothered me much, and the vast amount of dedicated roleplayers on makes it quite good for an hour or so each day. The problem with IRE MUDs is, in my opinion, they tend to feel like a leveling-MUD with a lot of fluff put on top. While I'm sure this feeling goes away after you hit level 40 or so, the trip there is a tad dull. While I'll continue playing IRE MUDs for as long as I can, I'd like to look at other MUDs that are similar, as well. I've never been quite too fond of games like Carrion Fields (If it's offensive to name names, forgive me.) and Medieva, since I get sick after an hour or so of constantly typing "kill goblin" and "get gold" over and over again 'till I can finally go and buy some sort of leather armour, and I'll continue killing afterwards in order to afford a vial of health, ect. For me, these games just end up turning into boring wastes of time, where combat is more common than roleplaying. That doesn't mean these MUDs are horrible, however! They're well scripted and can be quite fun if you're feeling sadistic or just have a bit of free time on your hands. I, however, am looking for something a tad more...deep. Is anyone aware of a game similar to IRE MUDs, in the sense that it has a huge world filled with always in-character roleplayers? While it's not as important, is there one with a huge playerbase as well?
Selzion_Rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
Raesanos

Raesanos is on a distinguished road
There are not a lot of MUDs that meet your requirement of "filled with always in-character roleplayers" but there are some.  Check out these ones:

The Eternal City (Ancient Rome themed)
Shadows of Isildur (LOTR themed)
Armageddon (harsh desert world, shameless plug on my part)
Raesanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:45 AM   #3
jackal59

jackal59 is on a distinguished road
After MUDding for about a year, I wanted the same things. My response was to seek out MUSHes and MUXes that have minimal skill and combat systems and no leveling. That does require compromise, though, and in my experience what gets compromised is my desire to be able to log in and immediately be involved in role playing. The playing I do is much more enjoyable and creative... but it can also be days between scenes.

If you really want nearly constant in-character interaction, then the RPI MUDs are your best bet. I'd also suggest Forgotten Kingdoms, even though I'm really not fond of the style of staffing I found there several years ago. At one time I would have suggested some of the Dawn of Time MUDs - at least their emote and say code is good enough to produce fairly realistic-looking dialogue - but I'd suggest being careful since there is currently some conflict among games using that codebase.

Really, though, I'd suggest lowering your sights a little. Games with excellent RP but no or inconsequential leveling have less appeal to many players, it seems, and therefor fewer players. But, after some adjustment, they can still be very satisfying.
jackal59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road
I haven't played them in ages (sadly), but I would second Armageddon and Shadows of Isildur. My game's a bit more different than I think you want, as skill gain comes from the roleplaying itself, but I think those two I mentioned are excellent choices.
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
Irn

Irn is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Searching for a Certain MUD...

I know this thread is old, but anyhow.

Try ---The Inquisition RPI.
I've been mudding there off and on for eight years. Level-less, lots of great RPers.
You can read my review of it here:

http://www.mudmagic.com/listings/game/1721/board/2003/2003

Or check out the site itself here:

http://theinquisition.org/

Hope to see you there, we can always use more RP enthusiasts.
Irn
Irn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #6
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Re: Searching for a Certain MUD...

This thread really belongs in Advertising for Players. I'll see it gets there ASAP!

Edited by Lasher: Thread now in advertising for players. Thanks for the note.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote

Searching for a Certain MUD... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Searching for MUD Hosting NotL337 MUD and RPG Webmasters 1 01-25-2009 11:13 AM
Searching For A Mud Rykkan Advertising for Players 22 02-16-2006 06:45 PM
searching for mud bug TTTGames-Robert Bugs and Suggestions 0 08-10-2005 12:35 AM
Searching for a MUD... Scrod Fungus Advertising for Players 9 04-12-2004 03:58 PM
Game Searching... Omegadawn Advertising for Players 3 05-28-2003 04:08 PM