Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 09-24-2002, 10:41 AM   #1
Sapphar

Unhappy

I am writing this after reading two reviews posted on Top Mud Sites regarding a roleplay intensive game. One reviewer was complaining about the racism in a game. Another reviewing was defending it. The reviewer complaining thought that it was frustrating that they were expected to
- not have interracial romances
- view some races as inferior
- abide by well documented, well written descriptions of typical behavior for each race

I am not racist IRL. I do not believe most who play this particular game are racist. But most of us play characters with racist tendencies. A number of races, according to a detailed manual provided to help guide players, believe themselves superior to most other races. One race is considered by all races to be disgustingly inferior. Interracial romances receive very harsh responses. The reasons for these things are justified in the history written in the manual, the racial characteristics outlined, etc.

Why would I want to play a racist, if this is not something I personally believe in? It is a hell of a challenge. The further a character is from who you are, the harder it becomes to play. The more challenging it is to be consistent.

Is it wrong to play a character who goes against IRL societal values? We play killers, we play assassins, we play “evil” characters often enough. But when it comes to specific, defined values like racism or sexism, folks don’t feel comfortable.

Is there a point, a line, that shouldn’t be crossed in terms of social values created in RP worlds? Do we want to limit ourselves in our fantasy worlds to comfortable elements? Do we want to stick to political intrigue and avoid social intrigue? What are other games that are rp intensive doing with regards to those sticky moral questions that exist IRL?

Sapphar
Old 09-24-2002, 10:58 AM   #2
Ingham

Well, enforcing character traits upon character is a bad thing anyways IMHO to roleplaying muds. Every individual character has it's own traits and characteristics. Enforcing racism among your players would be like forcing all your players to be close to nature or explorers... In a non-themed RP envireoment, this simply can't be a good thing as some races tend to be more open and socially accepting then others, while other races border on xenophobia.

Then again, if this mud in question is a themed mud, say something post-apocalypse or post-war, then it might make sense. It still would be a bit bit of a leash on RP, but in such a case it might be acceptable. Sadly, no links to reviews/muds are given so I can't check out what kind of mud it is...
Old 09-24-2002, 11:07 AM   #3
Sapphar

Enforcing character traits is not forcing players to be a certain character, as there are a wide range of races. If you don't feel comfortable playing the fiercly loyal, very reserved in public race, you can play a different one.

I think it enhances rp to have clearly defined races, as not only does it add to the conflict/tension in the game, but helps in letting players become completely immersed in the world. IRL, we have many different cultures. Why would we not in game?

My question was more about the morals of the worlds and are there some IRL morals/values that we shouldn't break in game worlds?

The link, if you wish to check it out and judge based on more information, is and the game is Inferno: Classic.

Sapphar
Old 09-24-2002, 11:12 AM   #4
Riga

Riga is on a distinguished road
Hmmm,

Not sure if you're referring to Armageddon or not, but it definitely has these built-in racial biases.

Elves, specifically, have a genetic and cultural admiration for thievery and swindling. As such, other races react accordingly. I, personally, enjoy these kinds of cultural definitions in my gameworld. In my opinion, it is often these restrictions and boundaries that make for quality roleplaying.

Look at it similar to poetry. Sure, freeverse is fine and dandy. However, by limiting oneself to a traditional structure (sonnet, villanelle, ballad), one may achieve something transcendent. It is by restricting oneself and verbally playing within a form that beauty is achieved.

So, that goes off the subject. To return: I have no problems with this sort of racism in a roleplaying environment. I think it's an educational release to be able to put myself into the shoes of someone who really despises another just for their upbringing or culture. I also find that it's enjoyable to really play up the idiocy of such a person. To get totally hyperbolic with it, bringing it to the point of the absurb. To, in fact, parody racism.
Riga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:15 PM   #5
Boggis

Boggis is on a distinguished road
I have no problem at all with racism / sexism appearing IC'ly. I play on Armageddon as well and the elves there are, as Riga mentioned, generally distrusted due to their inherent thieving / swindling nature. People won't talk to them sometimes, many Houses won't hire them, the templarate takes a biased view against them, etc. Similarly, magickers are feared and hated by the general populace and the vast majority of people will want nothing at all to do with them. There are well-documented help files for all of this and if you don't want to be the subject of racism / social ostracising then playing an elf or magicker might not for you. If you want to play whatever type of character you can dream up then make a human, dwarf or whatever and RP it out. However, if you want to play a race generally disliked by most people and RP within the guidelines set out in the docs then that opens up a whole new RPing challenge imo. I like Riga's analogy to art - many artists practice various forms, many of which are very strict in what is acceptable in a particular form. I'd agree with Sapphar too that such detail adds to the richness of the world, creates conflict and breathes realism into the game.

Racism / sexism are real issues IRL. Various cultures despise each other - just look at the Israelis and the Palestinians for one of many examples. To exclude them from an RPI mud them just because they are uncomfortable for some players would be wrong imo. It would detract from the realism and feels like political correctedness to me.
Boggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:19 PM   #6
Alaire

Name: Lisa
Home MUD: The Southlands
Alaire is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Alaire Send a message via AIM to Alaire
Arrow

Alaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:47 PM   #7
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 01:14 PM   #8
Riga

This is straying off the original subject, but this one is also near and dear to my heart.

I agree that you should be allowed to play as you wish.  I, also, have no problem with exceptions to a given rule. However, it is when these exceptions become the norm that I take issue.

Some specific examples that I can think of from the mud I play:
1) The kank-riding elf:  Riding mounts is culturally repulsive to elves. However, there is a very real coded advantage to riding mounts. So, suddenly, every elf becomes the mount riding elf whose parents taught to look beyond such petty worldviews.

2) The liberal noble: In a harsh, aristocratic society, it is up to the nobility to keep the downtrodden down. They've been raised all their lives to believe that they're superior.  Unfortunately, roleplaying this can get old and it also limits who you can interact with.  So, suddenly every player becomes the exceptional noble. You know, the one that believes all people are created equal and loves to dilly dally with the commoners.

3) The enlightened magick lover: Magick is hated and feared by nearly everyone. However, being best friends with a magicker can have some obvious coded benefits. Suddenly, every player comes from a family who taught them not to "judge a book by its cover." and that, "Magick is just a weapon, like a sword.  It depends on the one wielding it." So, you have everyone being friendly to the mages.

Now, there are three very specific cultural rules that are well documented from the mud I play on.  These three cultural rules are some of the things that give the game world its unique flavor. If people constantly play outside of the culture and play the exception to the rule, then the unique flavor of the game is lost.

Riga
Old 09-24-2002, 02:02 PM   #9
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:39 PM   #10
Riga

Re: Cultural Status Quo

One major difference here is likely in game design.  It sounds like in your world, the PCs are either the sole inhabitants or they're the "important" ones.  

The world I'm discussing, and with most RPIs, the PCs are just a small percentage of the population. The rest of the population consists of NPCs and virtual NPCs. Therefore, this oft-silent majority maintains the cultural status quo.

Of course, one problem with these games, and one that I often worry about, is that PCs can feel like such minor players in the large, global scene that they feel helpless. That is, they feel they are unable to make changes in the game world, since they represent only a small portion of it. This feeling can be compounded by the fact that many of the powerful leaders are NPCs played by the staff and many of the decisions about government, laws, military camaigns and the like take place behind the scenes.

However, I think this feeling of helplessness can be countered by getting the PCs involved as much as possible and encouraging the idea that historical epochs rise and fall on the actions and decisions of common people. I think that maintaining this balance between cultural consistency and player apathy is difficult, but that the game I play on does a good job with it...something that can be backed up as many of the important events have been player driven and inspired.
Old 09-24-2002, 03:05 PM   #11
John

John is on a distinguished road
I'm also from Armageddon (we're everywhere, you can't escape us) and I don't mind playing a racist, because it's nothing like IRL racism.

However, I couldn't play a rapist. Why? Because of RL issues. I could play the victim but not the person who does it. Some people might have similar issues, but with racism, and they SHOULDN'T be forced to be an active racist, just be a passive one. A passive racist is someone who doesn't need to spit on elves constantly.

Racism in Muds, I think is perfectly acceptable. If a mud was based on Earth and it forced everyone to be racist, I'd have a problem cause it's too close to home.

Just my 2 'sid.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 03:09 PM   #12
Sapphar

Old 09-24-2002, 03:13 PM   #13
Sapphar

Okay, another blunt moment, since it sounds like most of you are not inherently troubled that some rpgs have racism as part of their world...

Just like you wouldn't play a world based in todays world that had a lot of racism, I don't think players who have problems with racism in an rpg setting should choose to play on games with histories and storylines that include racism. There are plenty of games that don't have such things. And it dilutes the world for others when you choose to ignore one of the premises the world was built on.

Sapphar
Old 09-24-2002, 03:36 PM   #14
John

John is on a distinguished road
Exactly, so the person wouldn't play at a mud they find troubling.

Sorry, I thought that was assumed from the first post, it seems like common sense to me. If someone has a MAJOR problem, then they don't play, otherwise they work around it.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 04:03 PM   #15
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
I find no problem playing in a game where there is Racism. It's a game after all. It does not reflect my feelings IRL. Besides, who could imagine a Dwarf and an Elf together in a party, being buddies? (Other then; Margret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and Tolkien?) Elves consider themselves better then dwarves and Dwarves feel the same way. One of my best (read: Favorite) Pen'n'Paper characters was seeking refuge from the elements and came to a keep, and when he found that a half-breed was running the joint, he refused her help. And made snide remarks. She of course then set him up for a trial, and made him hang for his sins, but alas....

Back on topic:

In reference to forcing players to accept the RP'ing of Superiority and whatevers... code it. If nobles shun the populace, and you allow players to play nobles, make the NPC villagers get out of their way, have them refuse to talk to them. If dwarves and Elves hate each other, have an NPC talk trash to the other race. This is the problem that I have with most RP muds... They focus on player interaction, when you should increase character interaction.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 05:49 PM   #16
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Well I'll go on my rant, and yeah it's a rant so be forwarned.

I think it's absolutely positively preposterous, ridiuclous, and STOOPIT that people would equate bigotry against an ELF with bigotry against another human being with different color skin.

I can't even begin to express how inane that is. Hello, there exist NO SUCH THINGS AS ELVES in the real world. It's OKAY for your character to hate them. You'reallowed, you have my express permission.

Jeez. Now if the game was based on real life, and white humans were required to accept hatred of black humans, then yeah I'd have a serious problem with it, and I wouldn't play.

But honestly. People who have a problem with bigotry against a fantasy SPECIES that is only humanoid, and not human, need to re-evaluate their personal priorities in life. Folks like that have issues.

/rant
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 07:06 PM   #17
rhakshai

rhakshai is on a distinguished road
rhakshai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 07:50 PM   #18
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
In Inferno (which Sapphar referenced when Orion asked), there exist a race of humanoids called half-elves. In the world of inferno, they are almost exclusively the product of rape of a female elf by a male human. Their very existence is a reminder to elves of the torture humans have bestowed on elves during wars past, and shame for humans who run into them on the street. Other races are *designed* to consider half-breeds as aberrations of nature, freaks, distrusted, suspected, and barely part of the food chain.

And yet..

There are people who roll up elves who go out of their way to be nice to half-elves, and scorn their brethren for their bigotry against them.

There are people who roll up humans who actually consider mating with half-elves, and people of various other races who make an issue of befriending them.

Now, I can understand bending over backwards to welcome a new player get acquainted with the world. But the world, from an IC perspective, is NOT pretty. These aren't races we're talking about. They're species and subspecies. They're called races only because that's the common vernacular in this type of game. But an elf is no more a "race of humans" than a dog is a "race of cats." Elves are biped humanoids. Dogs are quadrupeds. Elves have ears on the sides of their heads, dogs and cats have fur instead of hair. But no dog in their right mind would try to mate with a cat, and cats have an instinctual disdain for their drooling mammalian cousins.

If an elf befriends a breed, then the elf MUST ACCEPT that society will scorn him for it. And it's the players' responsibility to scorn him, otherwise they spit in the face of game integrity as written by the creators.

In the game I used to play, it was no big deal to see halflings and giants snuggling and smooching like nobody's business all over town, No one gave a second thought to seeing a dwarf and a sylvankind going up into the Silvergate Inn to a private room.

In Inferno, however, roleplay isn't optional. It's required. Just as in Armageddon - you might see humans and elves on friendly terms with each other, but the humans acknowledge that "all elves are thieves," and the elves acknowledge that "all humans are marks." Diplomacy and scheming are the course of the day, and not just so Susie can cyber with John, or because Susie feels that it's unethical to treat elves badly in a fantasy game just because she has an oriental boyfriend in real life.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:33 PM   #19
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote