Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 02-09-2004, 07:51 AM   #21
Geras

Geras is on a distinguished road
A few things that bug me are....

1 global IC channels. They never make sense. Ever. That means you, RPI-Mud on the front page that doesn't have permdeath either.

2 Non perm-death. What. The. Heck.

3 "IC" tells. *sigh*

4 No way to gain experience from RP.

5 No pk

6 Pure PK

7 Enforced ethos. I've never met anyone who is pure evil or good. Have you? I've met anyone who can't change either.

8 Imm-Gods. Deus ex machina. Cliche

9 Cookie cutter classes... class don't usually make much sense in RPIs IMHO.

10 Storylines that dont make any sense. You know who you are.

11 No OOC channels. It works kinda like prohibition... drive out OOC communication, it goes underground through MSN and AIM, and scheming ensues.

12 Intruisive OOC channels.

13 Tight pants. I hate wearing tight pants.
Geras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 06:24 PM   #22
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
Good fer you. What's that got to do with RP pet peeves? *peers at Geras*
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:48 AM   #23
Savitri

Savitri is on a distinguished road
Some of my rp pet peeve is when ppl don’t use emotes or indicate how they got where they are. For instance you are sitting at a certain place in the forest or in the city and *poof* they start talking to you. I mean wow, is it mental? Is it that difficult to just use a simple emote that states you were walking in the forest?

My biggest one is OOC knowledge used as IC. I would be rping and ppl call me by my name, when in fact i never told them my name. They call me by my clan and frankly I don’t have anything on me that could possibly show them that I’m in a certain clan.

Godly players is also a big peeve. You can’t touch them, you can’t hurt them, they are just so magnificent that you will probably fall over and play dead if they walk in front of you. Don’t even mention attacking them, cause you will just never win. Even though you are one big mean tarrasque and they are a tiny tiny pixie (just an example).

People who quest while you are roleplaying with them. We have a questmaster (not talking about imm run quests – we have those 2) where you can go request a quest and do it. Now rping at the qm and suddenly someone says brb and leaves is just not good enough for me. Either you rp with me, or we drop it all together.

The whole act of because i’m evil, i’ll be killing you, or because i’m a witchhunter and you are a mage, i’m going to kill you. Come on ppl, is that really the best you can come up with?

Lastly people who rp so exclusively that you can never get close enough to talk to them. They are mostly the people as well who complain there are no rping going on.
Savitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #24
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
1. Not being able to go one smidgen outside your stereotypical class role in a supposedly RP-friendly MUD. If I saw a pretty ring, and I was sorely tempted to try and steal it, if I wanted to even try I would have had to have created as a brigand or a thief instead of a "warrior". Agh.

2. The wisdom stat. I can live with intelligence as a stat (there are things that even the dumbest player could know "behind the curtains" of their character's mind), but really, what's the point of having wisdom as a number? If the player has a good idea of what his character is, he'll know when his character breaks down, when the player's character is fooled while the player is not, etc. Besides which, some players aren't terribly wise themselves, with ultra-wise characters, and then they look silly.

3. Mob-killing for the majority (or all) of your XP.

4. Ethos and alignment, especially when static.

5. Players who try to force you into their little RP scene. Most of the time, I'd not get involved with the characters who do this anyway. My character sometimes just doesn't care about saving a patch of forest outside of town. I personally care about conservation, but my character may not.

6. Weather not affecting anything beyond a few spells. This is more of an uneasement, as it is difficult to RP something that no one else even seems to notice, and something which _doesn't_ affect your character, but then there's supposed to be a raging thunderstorm around us at the same time. How am I supposed to act? Colds from wandering outside for hours in the rain, having to shout over thunder or wind (or having a few words blended out because of it), and a bit of damage from hail could be nice.

7. Bits of areas where it's out of theme, or even based on real-life. Funny sometimes, yes, but it's unnecessary and degrades the overall feel of the MUD for a few giggles.

8. "Look at me, I'm RPing" type people. These will try anything to bring your attention to their awesome RP prowess. They might be bad at RP, they might be good at RP, but it's still abnoxious.

9. Over-harsh law penalties because normal penalties just aren't enough, or aren't possible. Death to all thieves, vagrants, and trespassers! Heh.

[Edited a bit for grammar and clarity]
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:18 PM   #25
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
Back on DR, bad weather (snow, sleet, rain, etc) would wreck your musical instruments if you had them outside of containers. The damage was reparable, if you had the skill or knew a Bard who did, though. I don't remember if it really did anything else. I think fog made it difficult to see what was in the room...but I'm not sure and I could be wrong. I never really looked outside the Bard class though, so I haven't the faintest clue what else weather might've affected.
Moon Mage spells, maybe?
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:04 AM   #26
Geras

Eagleon, do you know any muds that dont violate those pet peeves? Thats pretty much what I look for in an RPI mud
Old 02-24-2004, 03:13 AM   #27
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:35 AM   #28
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
1. I hate roleplaying with anybody who doesn't know how to roleplay. Sometimes I will be willing to sit down and explain what roleplay is, but I usually only enjoy RP when people know what they are doing. The concept of rp'ing isn't that difficult...

2. People who completely underestimate their power IC, or people who totally overestimate it. Supercharacters are annoying as heck, and so our newbies who just seem to die instantly. I was doing this thing where all the players on the mud were having like a combat tournament with emotes and what not, and i went up against a newbie, i did my first emote, and he did his which he died.... that was stupid.

3. Closed emoting "Bob steps forward, and stabs you deep into the throat." no... don't do that. "Bob steps forward and makes to stab you into the throat." that's more like it.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:52 PM   #29
MissPrissSharess

MissPrissSharess is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MissPrissSharess Send a message via MSN to MissPrissSharess
Cool

MissPrissSharess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:00 AM   #30
Tamaterelian

Tamaterelian is on a distinguished road
Though all of my own peeves have been more or less covered, I do want to rebut this. I'm not sure I understand the problem with IC tells. The first MUD I seriously played used IC tells, and these were backed with a logical reason and methodology for existing. In fact, these were a sufficiently significant part of the game for another MUD's policy of only OOC tells to strike me as - initially - absurd.

Though I suppose it might be a matter of "high" fantasy, I personally have a hard time considering that in a world where magic (or psionics or miracles or...) is pervasive, nobody comes up with a communication spell (or equivalent). It's fantasy's cellphone. So I'm a bit at a loss as to why it's a peeve - and I've seen the idea of IC tells knocked in places besides here. As long as it has a logical reason for existing, though, I'd guess it would do more to support the idea of a persistent RP world than detract from it.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why it might be otherwise?
Tamaterelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 09:53 AM   #31
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
1. People who take 4 lines to emote something that could've been said in 6 words. (As a side note, I detest those long, badly-written stories people will occasionally come up with, thinking it makes them cool or something.)

2. People who rp every little twitch and sneeze. Some things IMO just aren't important enough to RP. My motto is, RP the things that might make a difference, not EVERYTHING.

3. People that think if you DON'T use 4 line emotes or RP every little twitch and sneeze, that you don't know how to RP at all. If a simple pre-coded emote such as smile serves my purposes, I'm not gonna go to all the effort of typing something out just to look cool. Deal with it.

4. This has been said before, but it can't be stressed enough. People who are either so clueless about RP, or who like bending the rules to their own purposes so much that they can't separate IC/OOC actions properly.
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:48 PM   #32
Realedazed

Home MUD: Armageddon
Home MUD: Harshlands
Home MUD: DartMUD
Realedazed is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Realedazed Send a message via Yahoo to Realedazed
I never consider "tells" IC.  Some people consider everything not on the OOC channel as IC, which I think is wierd.  But to each their own, I guess.

Well I have a few more pet-peeves to add.

In Non-permadeath, Role-Play mandatory MUDs:

- The super heroic character that will race into ANY type of danger, because "he'll just come back"

-People who break character to complain about loosing a level due to dying.  Then complain even more about how much experience they to level back up.

-Pking, just because you can - with zero RP.

-and I think that's it. Since most of my others have been covered.
Realedazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:57 PM   #33
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
So if you were playing a mud with a telepath class, or a futuristic mud with mobile phones (or "cell phones", or "handy's", or whatever you call them in your country), you would simply treat the "tells" as OOC?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #34
Nyril

Tells are the universal OOC channel for -most- muds. I know in a few (particularily Arm) that tells are merely a variant of sayto, and thus are IC, but there are other OOC channels that for all purposes, are tells.

Your point makes little sense, if you're using one of hte afformentioned means of communication, then it would be IC. But tells are something different entirely and have no IC restraints except where reasonable.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #35
Realedazed

I deleted my post. Nyril pretty much said the same thing as I did.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #36
Realedazed

SOrry for the double post. I'm not sure how I did it.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:08 PM   #37
KaVir
Legend

Tells are simply a means of sending a message to another player in the mud.  Whether or not they are OOC depends entirely on the mud and implementation in question.

And that was my very point.  A 'tell' can be IC or OOC and - like many of the points raised here - how appropriate it is to a roleplaying mud depends entirely on the theme of that mud.

Thus going back to the 'telepathy' example I gave previously: In a high-fantasy mud where the player classes all possessed powerful telepathic skills, even a stock 'tell' command could very reasonably be considered IC.

And even if you want to try a really tacky argument like claiming that the definition of 'tell' is 'an OOC message' (which it isn't), I think I should point out that the original poster specifically stated '"IC" tells'.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #38
Raeven

Raeven is on a distinguished road
I know that in my mud we can easily tell the difference between an IC tell and a OOC tell. I mean, - XXX tells you, "Might you assist me in finding a place as to where I can purchase a well crafted sword?" -  It isn't hard to tell this is an IC tell compared to - XXX tells you, "dude, ya wanna help me find a neat sword?" - In my mud if the tell is IC it is usually interpreted as a note/letter that has been given to you.  
So IC tells aren't bad RP, they can be used for very good RP if you use them right.

--  Raevan.
Raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 02:52 AM   #39
Geras

back to the "IC" tells, by tells i mean the tell command that everyone gets, not some psion skill. If it makes sense for some class/race/group of people to be telepathic, fine. But tells aren't a skill, and they don't require any magical ability whatsoever. The magic-hating warrior/barbarian can still use these "IC".

The issue isnt with differentiating between IC tells and OOC tells, its that the tell itself makes no sense - that you can communicate with anyone, anywhere, regardless of any other factors. That does not make sense, especially since you can't tell someone when they're logged of, but ICly they'd still be around... and sleeping can't account for 100% of your OOC time.

Don't split hairs with me on this "implementation" stuff, because honestly, you know what I meant. If it's actually represented as a skill, then it's a psion/mage/whatever skill, not a tell. We've all played a stock mud here at least once, so we all know what i mean by tells. The kind where you type tell XXX <message> and there is no "tell" under prac/skills/slist/whatever.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:18 AM   #40
KaVir
Legend

You're still over-generalising.  What is wrong with these scenarios, for example?

Scenario 1: Standard medieval/fantasy setting.

> tell bubba hi there, how's it going?
You scribble down a note to Bubba which says 'hi there, how's it going?'.
You take a carrier pidgeon from the cage across your back and tie the note to its foot.
The pidgeon springs from your shoulder and flies off.

Scenario 2: Standard medieval/fantasy setting (based on Raeven's post).

You scribble down a note to Bubba which says 'hi there, how's it going?'.
You pass the note to a nearby messenger boy along with a copper coin.
The boy runs off through the crowd.

Scenario 3: Fantasy setting where PCs all possess telepathic powers.

You send a telepathic message to Bubba saying 'hi there, how's it going?'

Scenario 4: Modern day setting.

You send Bubba an SMS on your mobile phone which says 'hi there, how's it going?'

Scenario 5: Futuristic setting.

You send Bubba a message through your cybernetic modem, asking 'hi there, how's it going?'

That's a different problem entirely, and one which relates to numerous aspects of the mud.  It can be handled reasonably well with tells, although parts of the game are not as easy.

RP Pet-peeves - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pet Peeves Fern Tavern of the Blue Hand 37 04-15-2006 05:34 AM