Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 04-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Ever developed a character on a game, only to have that game undergo a crucial thematic shift that means re-visioning your existing character or starting over with an entirely new character? How did you cope with that drastic a change?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
Brody
Legend

Smile

Hmm. SOOOO...no one adjusted to theme resets? Ya just moved on? Didn't faze you?
Old 05-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #3
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
Ok, I'll bite.

Theme is more of a concern when I am looking for a new mud. If I'm going to spend a week or so getting the feel for a game, then it needs to have a theme that captures my attention. That normally means well developed, but not to the point where you need an encylopedia to keep up with the in game/world events.

Once I'm actually playing a game, it is the interaction with the other people on the game that keeps my interest, both IC and OOC.

There are two types of theme changes that I've encountered. One that is a slight shift from the existing theme which can be roleplayed into the game and is just another part of developing the character. The other is an sudden end to one them (a historic/fantasy setting) to a completely different one (a space station). In that case, adpating the existing character wasn't an option - everyone started new.

In both cases players that tended to group/rp together tried to work together to make the change go easier.

I prefer RP heavy games to have some changes in the theme. War's end or start. Main NPCs move on. Injustices are righted. With the Players having some degree of influence (indirect) over the events.

For example: If the humans and the orcs are at war, and you have 5 times the number of orc players then it might be time to let the orcs win, enslave the humans and have them holed up in isolated areas in resistance to the orcs. Or there is no victor, only an uneasy peace with a move more to diplomacy than combat. Or the two races are forced to join together to deal with another problem - like invaders from mars with ray guns.

The alternative is a game that grows stagnant. I would much prefer change.

Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
If I was to look at the two reasons for theme change given above, I'd have to say that my reaction to the two would be completely opposite.

In the latter example, events within the game's setting prompt a "change in theme".  This is something that a good setting should encompass.  Things change, including life itself.  Our own world is dynamic, with events and the repercussions of those events constantly shaping and reshaping the world we live in.  A well-designed MUD world will be no different.  If a war begins, it should change the nature of society.  If a plague strikes, it should change the way in which people behave.  And it need not be negative events that cause such change.  Prosperity can bring about just as sweeping of changes.

Now, in the case of the former example, a shift of theme that seems more motivated by OOC than IC events, I would likely quit the game.  With me, there's a reasonable expectation that a game's designers have enough foresight not to require massive changes in their world in order to accomodate such changes in said world's events.  That is to say, if they're competant, they'll have considered creating a diverse environment that won't require they start over from scratch when events take them in any direction.

Now, if they've switched themes for even more OOC reasons, say from a medieval theme to a Star Wars theme, that's more than enough reason to never go near anything they work on again.  They should start a new game altogether if they're going to do that.

That's my take on it.

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Brody
Legend

Smile

Bumped for more responses.

Surviving theme resets? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Complementing NPC AI with theme Burr Advanced MUD Concepts 0 04-03-2003 12:22 PM
Theme Assistant Positions Available Leeandra Advertising for Staff 3 01-26-2003 04:29 PM
Smaug "B" resets Samson MUD Coding 3 11-03-2002 11:39 AM
Ranking List Resets Synozeer Bugs and Suggestions 3 09-22-2002 09:51 PM
Resets Keljorian MUD Builders and Areas 1 05-09-2002 03:59 AM