Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 11-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #21
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
Traditional version is text-only via telnet feed. But if you run it through a Web interface can it still be a Mud? Are graphics the dividing line? I personally see games like EQ as fully graphic commercial Muds but I know that most consider MMORPGs as their own catagory.

I guess I have just had the mantras of 'Always free' and 'Available to all via pure telnet' chanted at me a few more times than you have. I doubt they are still around and of the same opinon today, but I used to know people who spat at the mere mention of a pay to play Mud.

Never completely, but the scales will slowly tip in that direction forever.

Everything is a matter of perspective. When I say 'best' I mean it in the general sense of the word, an overall top rating.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #22
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Well, the people who would say that are not very aware of the history of the field they are in then. The most popular text MUDs have been commercial since MUD I went commercial in 1984, as Kavir mentioned.

MUDs accessible via telnet were an invention part-way through the history of MUDs. Many text MUDs were available only via services like CompuServe or the pre-internet AOL. No telnetting there. Heck, I was the first internet customer of a commercial text MUD called Avalon (started in 1989) in 1994, as they had been dial-up only (in England) up until that point.

You're right about Everquest, WoW, etc just being a graphical MUD though. No real fundamental difference.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:02 AM   #23
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
There are always some people who consider their game to be its own category - look back over the years and you'll see people claiming that their mud is no longer a mud, that it's now a 'MURPE' or a 'MRPG' or an 'MMO' or a 'MOO' or a 'MUSH'...

However I think most reasonably informed people recognise that MMORPGs are in fact graphical muds - indeed, even many of the MMORPG developers refer to their games as such.

I'm not aware of any muds which are fully graphical though - even the larger commercial ones such as EQ use text for communication. Equally, many of the muds which are typically considered 'text-based' also include ASCII graphics (sometimes more, if they have custom clients).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:29 PM   #24
Alexander Tau

Generally I find that to be true of every field of human activity. Strange that it does not stop them from having opinions anyway.

But today the tide certainly has shifted quite a bit. I guess we have just all gotten used to paying for what we get, even when it is on the wild Internet.

True enough, although voice communication is becomming more and more popular and will eventually pretty much replace text.

A.T
(-)
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 AM   #25
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
Personally I think that a lot of the reason muds appear to be declining is because muds as a whole don't advertise themselves very well at all.

I spend a lot of time promoting my mud, and what I notice is that there seems to be a lot of mud marketing that's directed at taking players from other muds rather than the big pool of potential players who don't even know what muds are. For example, I've seen a mud use a google adwords campaign directly against our url (wotmud), ie if people searched on that in google their ad would come up.

Even disregarding the ethics of doing this (it's illegal I think in Google, I could bust them for this) I think this approach doesn't help muds as a whole, it's an inward-looking approach which doesn't grow the totals.

There are millions of kids looking for online games to play, but most just don't know about us. All they know is that when they type in . at for example msn they get poker site spam.

Here's an offer, I'll help out on some sort of gaming portal that would actually target the players of those commercial games and turn them onto games like ours if someone wants to fund it. Fwiw, I do all the web development and promotion for my mud so I have an idea or two I can contribute
nass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #26
Alexander Tau

I do not think there is any real doubt that the heyday of Muds was quite a while ago, but that does not mean that new technologies or radical approaches cannot bring new life to the genre.

You are certainly correct Nass that most games do not make full use of the advertising possibilities as they should. But there is a small stumbling block or two that tend to get in people's way. First, if you are trying to advertise something that people know little in the way of basic facts about you have to supply a lot of information for the ads to work. It is not possible in a simple Banner to explain what a Mud is, how you connect to one, and what playing on one is like.

So most people find it easier to just stick to Mud-related Sites when they are attempting to get the word out.

Second I think the need for a telnet connection has really become a significant problem to Muds everywhere. So many things have found a home on the Web that the need for some sort of terminal program or other special app gets in the way for people who are on the bottom half of the technological skill ladder. This is of course the vast majority of the people.

I think that my use of a Web interface instead of telnet terminals as the main way to play my game will really make it a lot easier to build a playerbase. Half the time I will not be advertising it as a 'Mud' though but will instead use the more generic 'Online RolePlaying Game' label.

A.T
(-)
Old 11-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #27
Angie

Angie is on a distinguished road
Yes, browser-based games have typically larger audiences than muds. However, this is not only caused by the interface. Other factors that contribute to the popularity of browser-based games:

-- You can play them at work, and keep the appearance of being occupied (same goes for MUDs, at more lenient offices).
-- You can play them from behind a firewall (at the less lenient offices).
-- They don't require large chunks of time - you can spread your time into smaller sessions and still be efficient.
-- They don't require as much involvement - this is a result of less direct contact with other players.

It is a design issue as much as an interface issue. You sacrifice a lot of direct involvement and real-time interaction, also due to the limitations of your interface. It's a personal choice. To me the sacrifice would seem too huge, so I'd be leaning towards a hybrid approach, such as letting players access one or more of the mud's subgames through web interface.

Example: Player-run shops

You could manage the stock from a web browser, buy goods from other shops or from trading posts (where players who do play the game but are not interested in running their own shop could place them for sale). What you couldn't do, however, would be acquire special items (since you are not logged into the game and cannot fight for them) and perhaps deliver items from other areas (you could only buy from shops in the same area as you are). For these tasks, however, you would be able to hire players who are logged on, by posting an ad through the web interface, thus giving the players additional content. The web players form ties with in-game players, although at a slower rate than if they were logged on, and who knows, might be tempted to log into the game when they come back from work - to spend their riches, to chat, or even to play. You have a fetch-and-deliver system similar to what many MUDs call quests. In-game players have more activities to choose from. Both sides win.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #28
Alexander Tau

When you say Browser-based you mean without normal command line input and a big text window I assume?

I personally am thinking more about a mix of text box and screen gadgets. I agree that without the normal sorts of displays and inputs you use on a Mud it would not have the same sense of 'Place' to it.

Just begun to look at the current crop of Clients for Mudding, I expect there are a few Java and other types of interfaces of that sort. Those would be an intermediate step.

A.T
(-)
Old 11-21-2005, 01:45 PM   #29
Angie

Angie is on a distinguished road
Yes, I had the feeling from your posts that you wanted to do away with the telnet interface completely. If you just want a custom client integrated into a web browser, there's some muds around that already took that route (as an optional choice for the largest part, you can still play them using your favourite client).
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 PM   #30
Alexander Tau

Voice and Sound will eventually mostly replace the text displays, but even then we will want them for those who cannot hear the sounds. Not only do we need voice communications, but voice to text translations as well.

But I think the sense of 'Place' and of being somewhere with other people has got to be a central part of anything that calls itself Mud.

I find myself looking at doing something that will not perhaps have to be played on the Web, but will be something much, much less if you do not. I own and love my Zmud, but I still think I will end up using it only for Immortal work.

A.T
(-)
Old 11-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #31
the_logos
Legend

It's not illegal. You're thinking of a lawsuit brought by Geico against Google, which they settled. Geico was upset that Google was selling adwords that was Geico's trademark. It wouldn't apply to you because you can't trademark WoT stuff, and because you're not suffering any loss to sue for.

Yes, there are millions of people looking for online games to play, but very few of them will play text games. I know: I've spent tens of thousands of dollars advertising to non-text-MUDers. It's very expensive to acquire a new non-text-MUDer customer when compared to acquiring a new customer who already likes text MUDs. It's about 10x as expensive, in fact, and that's with our pretty Nexus client giving a good first impression to people used to graphical games. Most text MUDs require that people play either with a horridly ugly java client, download a piece of third party software (like Zmud) or use Windows telnet (*shudder*). That creates an even bigger barrier to entry for these potential customers.

In summary, depending on your situation, it may be worth advertising outside the text MUD market, but expect it to be -very- expensive in terms of customer acquisition as compared to acquiring existing text MUD players as customers.

--matt
Old 11-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #32
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
Yeah, apparently Google will allow anyone to have someone else's trademark in their keyword phrase in AdWords so long as the trademark does not show up in the ad copy.

Yes and no. Yes, it's certainly hard convincing people with graphical MMORPG expectations to stick with a text game with a geeky client/telnet interface. In terms of expense though, since I have no marketing budget anyway, any players we get through the non-mud routes have to be 'free' anyway, ie game banner exchanges etc. Not that the click-through ratio is high at all, but 200,000 impressions does get you a few people in the door, espcially if you can target them at sectors with low technology & high fantasy expectations.

It's interesting though that the successful guys like Med etc tend to throw a lot of their ad spend at game magazines (I forgot the name of the one that they take DPSs in). But, I note they're here agin too, and several other lists I know of, maybe they've drawn the same conclusion as you.
nass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:06 PM   #33
the_logos
Legend

Your time is an expense and there's always opportunity cost too. If you have X banner impressions, for instance, you could either use them on a very text MUD-oriented banner exchange or a very general games exchange, for instance. It's a finite resource that you have to choose how to allocate, and the cost for doing it inefficiently is whatever the value of your best other opportunity was.

We've never advertised in print magazines so I can't really comment on the efficacy of doing that. My reasoning for not doing so is that I feel like with a web/internet-only game, your best bet is to reach people via the net so that they can go straight into playing your game. Having to get them to walk to the computer and log in or remember your web address for next time they're online seems like it'd be less efficient to me, though again, that's purely an educated guess on my part.

We definitely don't intend to stop advertising to non-text MUDers, mainly because we're already promoted pretty well to text players, and there aren't that many text players in the world. It's expensive to reach out, but it sort of has to be done.

Incidentally, despite spending a fair amount each month on advertising, word of mouth is still BY FAR our biggest player attractor. It's bigger than Mudconnector, TMS, Zmud, and all our other ads combined in terms of results. One lesson to be drawn from that, I suppose, is that the best way to get get players is to ensure you have a decent proportion of very happy players who will act as evangelists for your game when talking to their friends. It's ok to have very unhappy players (though I'm sure everyone would prefer not to), but you really need those super happy players who will preach the virtues of your game.

--matt
Old 11-24-2005, 10:00 PM   #34
Alexander Tau

Old 12-07-2005, 08:41 AM   #35
noodles

noodles is on a distinguished road
To me, what is interesting is the idea of where text based MUDs will go.

I've always thought that by having an engine where the world was defined in a processable way, would enable a deeper more interesting world.  What I mean is a 3D world, room-less, where the description for the current position is generated automatically based on a generated world.  Then procedurally generated life, cities, towns, villages and entities that populate these going through an abstract simulation of life.

Doing a 3D world is doable, even for a text based world.  Procedurally generating content in that world is doable.  To me, the hardest bit is defining the materials, resources, processes of manufacturing, what an entity of a given profession does for a living.  But once you have, you have a flow of resources.  A simulated economy.  A base world where the entities are the normal people and the players can be the heroes.  Players could organise businesses and employ entities or other players interchangeably.

There is one company making a graphical game where the world is defined in such a way that players can take any part in the world, bringing in the harvest, etc..  I believe it is called .  Personally it sounds like drudgery, but to me when I read about it I just see the potential for middleware where you can buy the logic to define the contents of a medieval world and the processes which involve these materials.

Because the world is defined in a way that is abstract and code can reason over it, the builders place would be to take the generated base and to tweak it and paint over it.  Giving it colour, perhaps even editing the generation parameters to build in that colour at an ever lower level.  In a way, it reminds me of the way Star Wars Galaxies did their terrain generation, they generated the planet randomly, then had artists tweak it and colour it building on top of the base.

Anyway, thats the vision I have had for a long time, and not all of it (if any of it) is unique, I have seen similar things in some of the aspects out there.  But not a text based MUD based on a generated 3D world, maybe PhysMUD by Nathan Yospe qualified as an implementation (but has anyone ever seen PhysMUD and does it really exist seems to be a common thought).  There are things out there which implement parts of this, more likely in the graphical approach, but I see no reason that it could not be done by someone with the motivation and the skill.  And while I may not have explained what I see the potential to be well enough here, I think it would be a next level in text mudding.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #36
KaVir
Legend

(snip)

Such an approach is much more difficult and time consuming to implement than a room-based model, and there is very little in the way of precedent - so we're effectively talking about a subset of the developers who are capable of writing a mud from scratch. Such a mud is also going to be sufficiently different at a fundamental level that it'll alienate the majority of potential players - so the mud developer would need to be someone who didn't place too much value on having a popular mud. In my experience, most mud developers who fulfill those requirements tend to quickly tire of their projects, abandoning them so that they can move on to something even more interesting and cutting-edge...
Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #37
noodles

noodles is on a distinguished road
Why are players alienated by different approaches to MUDs? Your MUD is somewhat unique, are you basing this on your experiences, or something else?
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #38
KaVir
Legend

Because, while many players may ask for something new and original, the fact is that most of them can't really be bothered to learn a new system. They want something familiar - something very similar to what they're used to, but with a few extra bells and whistles. Show them something completely different, and they're not interested (this is why you'll rarely see people who play both LPmuds and Dikus, for example, or Dikus and MUSHes - most players tend to stick with what they find familiar).

It's based on my own experiences, yes - but not just from my own mud (although there are certain a lot of players who quit when they realise that there are no rooms).
Old 12-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #39
the_logos
Legend

Kavir is definitely correct, and it applies to games generally, not just MUDs. In MUDs generally (text and graphical both), the overwhelming success of WoW is attributable largely to giving people a very familiar and relatively simple experience, just with more polish.

Look at the best-seller lists for games sometime. The top 10 is usually 70-80% sequels and licensed games with completely generic gameplay. It's just what people want.

However, the exceptions can be HUGE. When a game does break out of the standard molds, it breaks out in a very big way. Doom and the Sims are good examples of games that at least seemed new at the time and managed to be phenomenally successful.

The first instinct of many people is to bemoan this and to wish that people would play "innovative" games. I'm part of a little indie game developer mailing list/community, and Marc LeBlanc (worked on System Shock and Thief at Looking Glass Studios back in the day), whose indie game won the 2004 Independent Games Festival's top prize, posted something during a discussion we were having over the state of the games industry and innovation. I think he's spot on.

-------------
Marc wrote:

This whole innovation argument seems like it's all a matter of semantics. It seems like people use the term "innovation" to imply some sort of vast quantum leap from games that are "merely evolutionary" to games that are "truly evolutionary." In my opinion, *innovation* is a red herring; that kind of distinction doesn't really exist in practice.

I heard a story about how Paul McCartney wrote "Yesterday." He told his friends that he had a tune stuck in his head, and he couldn't identify what song it was or where he had heard it. When he played it for his friends, they told him that he must have made this tune up, it wasn't any tune they had heard. He added lyrics and it became "Yesterday."

So was "Yesterday" a new song, or an old one? Did McCartney make it up, or did he regurgitate some long lost cousin of "greensleeves" that most people had forgotten? More importantly, does it matter? Would it make a difference as to whether "Yesterday" was "innovative" or not?

Was Tetris innovative? It started a whole genre of "action puzzle" games. But really, there were games before it where you caught falling objects, and other games where you had to pack polyominos tightly in a space. Couldn't Tetris be fairly described as a hybrid of those games? Isn't hybridization the opposite of innovation?

Look at board games. Surely, the input devices haven't changed since the industrial revolution. Yet, somehow new games keep coming out. But aren't they just syntheses of old mechanics? By and large, yes. But that doesn't stop them from contributing something new and unique to the genre. One of my current favorite board games, LotR: The Confrontation, contains no mechanics that can't be found in Stratego or Magic or Poker, but the resulting mix is something unique, something worthy of study, something that can entertain for hours. But is it Innovative? Who the hell cares?

If there is a sickness in the game industry, it's not the lack of innovation, it's the obsession *with* innovation, the notion that there's this vast chasm between "trite" and "fresh," between "old" and "new." It's a lie. Get over it. All games are syntheses. All games are old. All games are new. Sim City is just Hammurabi, and yet not. Katamari Damacy is just Pac-Man, and yet not. There are no great innovators in our industry, only great synthesists.
-------------------------------

--matt
Old 12-08-2005, 05:02 AM   #40
KaVir
Legend

There is one important difference though; (most) muds evolve, while 'normal' computer games do not (other than patches, bugfixes, and the rare expansion pack). The major exception to this is mods, but you don't see those on the best-seller lists anyway (because you don't usually need to buy them).

If you played and enjoyed Diablo, you'll probably also have bought Diablo II - because it's a 'better' version of a game you already enjoyed. Equally, if you enjoyed Diablo II you'll probably also have bought the expansion pack for the same reason. You'll also see people who enjoyed Diablo II moving on to other games which are similar, but with some feature or other they consider 'better'. The same logic applies to other computer games - people like the game, but they want some new toys to play with as well, because the existing gameplay is starting to feel a bit stale.

A well-run mud has no need for sequals or expansion packs, though, because it is being constantly updated anyway. A player may look somewhere else if they don't like the direction their favourite mud is taking (and some players may even start their own spinoffs), but there's no need to move elsewhere just to find some new toys for your favourite gaming environment.

A regular computer game can make its own niche just by adding a handful of 'cool' features that will appeal to players from similar games that lack those features. A mud cannot do this anywhere near as effectively, because if those features are really worth having the older muds can simply replicate them themselves. I remember the days when things like "ANSI colour" and "OLC" were selling points - these days they're so common that they're not even worth mentioning as features. For normal computer games, each such feature has to wait until the next generation before it appears, so that the newer the game the more advanced it tends to be - but for muds, the reverse is true, with such features being applied retroactively so that the older a mud is the more advanced it tends to be (unless it stagnates).

Marc LeBlanc seems to have fallen into the same semantics trap he's arguing against (indeed he almost seems to be making a straw man argument). Innovation and originality doesn't have to mean something utterly different - indeed, as he points out, that's not even possible. You cannot develop in a vacuum - everything draws ideas and inspiration from elsewhere. However you can certainly innovate in terms of evolving and combining old ideas into new concepts, and I think that's what most people mean when they speak of innovation. There's a big difference between taking existing game features to the 'next level', and copying the gameplay entirely and just relying on eye candy to sell the product.

In mud terms, 'originality' tends to have three different meanings. The first is similar to that used in copyright law - an original world or codebase being one that you created yourself, rather than downloading from an ftp server. The second meaning refers to ideas and concepts drawn from outside the mudding community - for example there's a mud which is heavily based on RTS games such as C&C and Warcraft, yet the concept is fairly original when applied to a mud environment. The third meaning is similar to the innovation argument detailed previously, with 'originality' meaning something that significantly expands on an existing idea or set of ideas - a "combat system" may be an old idea, but with sufficient effort you can certainly create a very original spin on it.

Today & Tomorrow - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Join a saga today! Brody Advertising for Players 0 04-11-2006 12:11 PM
MudCon V today Kyndig MUD Administration 0 04-08-2006 06:18 PM
TRIPLE exp at wotmud.org today nass Tavern of the Blue Hand 47 03-31-2006 03:06 PM
Try LegendMUD Today! Chaykin Advertising for Players 0 04-11-2005 07:40 AM
MUD-Con I TODAY! :) Orion Elder MUD Announcements 7 11-17-2002 12:17 AM