Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 01-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #1
Adelai

Adelai is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Okay, I was hoping to get some feedback on an idea I’m thinking of suggesting for implementation.

I guess it would be called the gossip command. In a given city, people could type something like “gossip add”. They would be prompted to add in the names of the people this piece of gossip involves, then to put in the gossip itself.

Other players could then come to the city and, in a street, type “gossip listen (name)” to hear a random bit of gossip on that person.

This would not replace the history, but would be more readily available than histories, and seems more IC. You could add gossip about yourself and others could enter gossip about you. You would be able to kill gossip about yourself… but since each city would have its own queue of gossip, you might have to travel across the world to totally eradicate it.

I thought this would be more RP-oriented than histories, since there’s no way to know if such gossip is true, but it would provide for debate. For instance, for my character Aika, I could add

“Aika slew a dragon with her bare hands.”

Which would be entirely untrue, but people might be inclined to ask her about it, spawning roleplay of denial… or of her lying and saying she had done it, building her legend… until someone else finds out its wrong.

Three questions. First, is there a system like this in place somewhere so I can see how it works. Second, can anyone see any other ways to safeguard it from abuse? For instance, should the gossips be checked by an imm before being put into circulation? Third… is it worth even pursuing?

Thanks.
Adelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:30 PM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
We've got something like that, but it's imm-run.
It's a mob, called the Gossip. You say the name of a player to her, and she gives you some gossip about him. At present she responds to about 50 different names, but only with a set line. And you have to be a pretty wellknown player, to get on her gossip list.

It would be possible, using scripts, to give her a random number of lines to choose from for each name on her list.

It would also be possible to make her repeat any line a player says to her, which I suppose would be more along the line what you want. We've got another mob doing that, it then replies with a random line from its memory, and the memory builds up with new lines until the mud crashes or reboots.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #3
Fuzzy Ewok

Fuzzy Ewok is on a distinguished road
Fuzzy Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote