Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 04-06-2015, 01:45 AM   #1
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Enforced lore, encouraged RP

Does it make sense for a game where RP is not enforced to still expect players to learn and demonstrate knowledge of the game's lore?
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:43 PM   #2
Xanthe

Xanthe is on a distinguished road
Re: Enforced lore, encouraged RP

RP not being enforced doesn't mean that the players can't encourage it and
indeed expect it from members of organisations that in the gameworld, they
are in charge of.

"RP relaxed" is a term I use to describe games that DO
have extensive lore / immersion but without the nonsensical rules that a lot
of gameadmins brandish to heavy-handedly enforce their RP -- "relaxed"
simply means that it's generated from player activity and in-world immersion
rather than admin-driven.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
beanluc

beanluc is on a distinguished road

Hard to respond, without knowing what "expect" means here. Even more to the point, what is the reaction to someone who has failed to meet that expectation? Maybe this question is really more about that, than it is about the expectation? Are players who are uninterested in making the game's Lore part of their gameplay being treated negatively?

Speaking for myself, what doesn't make sense is NOT having a double standard in an environment where there is a double paradigm (some people RP, some people don't, apparently nobody's supposed to be required to, someone wants to encourage RP, someone else in the same game doesn't even want to accept RP).

What a mess.

Enforce it or eliminate it. Speaking for myself, nothing else makes sense.

"Enforcing it" doesn't have to mean anything more "heavy handed" than making players understand that "you are not your character, your character is not you", and that your character is in a world you aren't in, and that roleplaying means that the character behave according to ITS world, not The player's world. If admins are observing a RP character behaving in a way which is not valid RP for the world, is it heavy handed to show the player how they and all the other roleplaying players expect RP to go? And if it's not an RP character, sure, let them go behave like a player in 2015 C.E. Earth instead of a character in 103 T.E. Middle-Earth.
beanluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Unless it is RP expected or encouraged, you shouldn't expect any semblance of IC control. Some people like playing in the WoW universe where you kill a dragon and talk about the NBA game in the same setting.

"As for me and my house, we shall follow the roleplay."
- Joshua, Old Testament.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

I would say that the "nonsensical" rules in RP enforced games are in place in order to encourage immersion. The game's staff are providing an environment where players can go to become part of that world with as little distraction from the story as possible.

The expectation I am submitting for discussion is that newbies are to know and demonstrate knowledge of the game lore as part of their time as a newbie, and before they are accepted as non-newbie players and entitled to take roles set aside for veteran players. Players who are uninterested in the game lore are outsiders and do not enjoy all of the benefits that players demonstrating sufficient lore knowledge are eligible for. Meanwhile, RP integrity is not required.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
beanluc

beanluc is on a distinguished road

There are rules like this for this reason, yes. I haven't seen an example of one which is being called "nonsensical", I've only seen it said that some are being called nonsensical without explaining or illustrating why they're being taken that way.

I don't see a problem at all with granting certain in-character roles to people who are interested in roleplaying and not to people who are deliberately setting themselves outside e role. If the role grants gameplay benefits, and those are the benefits which are unavailable to non-participants in the RP/Lore, if someone just doesn't want to play that part of the game, they shouldn't get the benefit - after all, they're not going to make contributions in that area either, right?

It's not that different from a game where soloists can't get certain benefits (achieve certain things, win certain battles, acquire certain loot) but some players only want to solo.
beanluc is offline   Reply With Quote