Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 05-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
The rough mercenary type human walks into the noble tavern of the city and spits to the side, sneering at all around him.

10 minutes later..

Type what you want the name of your character to be:
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Once upon a time, there was a tribal woman who lived near the northern city. She had odd notions of the world, including a rather extreme pacifist culture. If someone attempted to steal from her people, they would offer the thiefs gifts, so as to influence their decision and hopefully get them to become happy and peaceful traders with the tribe. Strangely enough, this often worked. Sometimes it didn't. One never knew with the crazy city people.

During her adult life, she traveled often, exploring places she'd never been before. She made her way down to the trading outpost between the north and south cities, and met up with some low-level leaders of the outpost's owning family. She introduced them to the liquor made by her people, very strong spirits made from vegetation native to her home.

She made a trade agreement with the outpost, and had her tribe manufacture a large quantity of the liquor for sale there in exchange for merchant rights at a discounted percentage of the profits.

At the present time, the liquor is still sold in the outpost tavern, and is favored by some and reviled by others. One man's comment about the taste: "It is like loving a woman. Very sweet to sip, but leaves a bitter aftertaste."

I played the tribal character in Armageddon. I wasn't an "important" noble or templar, or any other kind of big-deal influential person. I roleplayed my character's way to fame (or infamy as some would have it), she was known, loved, and loathed by people all over the world. She didn't change the course of history, she didn't start or end any wars. But she left her impact with that little gesture, bringing her tribe's liquor to the central trading post.

The tribe's clan was officially closed to players near the end of my character's life, so this mark left by her, to me, is significant. Within the game world, it's assumed members of this tribe still exist, at least virtually. I believe their encampment is still in the area it used to be (I haven't been that way since her death). But she was one of the last PCs of that tribe to be in the game. She was also one of the longest-lived - approximately 9 RL months, in a game where death is permanent.

I hope some day the game admins open that tribe again to players. I'd love to hear the "melodically-accented sirihish" again, and enjoy hearing the tales of the Tesdanyali once more, from the "karazhad" side of things.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Delstro

Once there was a man, This man Was in The T'zai Byn Mercenary company. He was a quick learner and quicker to the fist. Loved nothing more than Half-breed woman (Half-breeds are universally discriminated against in Armageddon). He also loved a good drink. And when he was drunk, he usually picked out the humanoid that "looked" like they had the biggest breasts, which, from time to time, got him and the really big and buff guy into a fight where an ear or a toe or a finger was biten off.

So he fights his way up from the lowest of low ranks in allanak wearing a cloak that smells like **** and looks like it to. He goes from Runner, to Trooper, to Sargeant, to Lieutenant.

Just to show his power, he was placed in the Allanak Arena (which he dreamed about). Round after round, the Templars sent out things to kill this lieutenant and his favorite Runner ( a half-elf). Elven pick-pockets, murderers, fantastic beasts, gith, archers, and cut-throats. Round after round, everyone fell under this Bynners mighty club.

The next day after this arena match, he went on his final mission. To destroy the gith army. He took his unit of scared people to fight these gith for the thing that makes the world go around. Money. Money and power.

During this mission, he was killing gith in one or two mighty hit with a kick to another that caused it to die beneath the swords of his Favorite Half-breed (another word for half-elf).  He had one Goal. To kill the Magicking Gith. He saw the gith and kicked it and the unseen gith casted a horrible spell on him.

One that caused him to lose control of his bodily functions.

So there he stood, not moving, on a battlefield of dieing and dead and his Mercenaries for hire. Then a group of four Gith saw that he wasn't moving and turned on him.

And then I saw a sign. that said.

Welcome To Armageddon!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Brody
Legend

Smile

Any more examples?
Old 05-25-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
One time I walked into a room and somebody looked at my description and said in a private tell "Your race can't look like that."  Of course, my reply was completely in character in a say command "Are you insulting me, sir?"  He replied with a bunch of crap so I challenged him to a fair fight and he just stabbed me in the face.  Yeah, that guy was REAL GOOD at role-playing.  Let's just insult some guy, say we didn't insult him, and then stab him in the face.  Real courteous. He didn't even point out any reason why my character didn't fit in with that race. He was probably drunk or something.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
Amara

Amara is on a distinguished road
Here's a great example, in my opinion.  I just had a character who was worried about a friend go out alone at night to go look for him--  in a city where it was known that there was a group out kidnapping young women who went out alone after dark.  So, off she goes, into the darkness, intent on helping her friend.  She has the best of intentions, but...  Well, we know the destination paved with those, right?  She notices she has a tail at one point, and loses them.  Picks it up again, loses it again, picks it up a third time--  but this time doesn't notice.  Along comes a large fellow who tells her it really isn't safe to be out alone--  he's a good Samaritan trying to help her out.  She explains that she's out looking for her friend, and she can't go back to the shelter she was in because it's now past the time the doors lock.  So, he takes her to this place where an old woman is running the equivalent of an orphange, and then goes off to lead the bad guys away from them.  My character is worried about this really nice guy though, so she peeks out a window to see what's going on.  This attracts the attention of Bad People, who start heading over.  She uses her Jedi mind tricks to try and get them to go away, but this just increases their interest, and now they start shooting.  Grandma shoves the PC down and covers her with her own body--  and is shot and killed in the process.  End result:  the orphans are now without their caretaker, and even more of a target for the criminal elements of the neighborhood than they were before the night began.

Oh yeah, that went well...

Amara
(Her friend made it back to the shelter the next morning, severely injured, but without any assistance from her.)
Amara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #8
Brody
Legend

Smile

Good stuff! Anyone else?
Old 05-27-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
Earthmother

Home MUD: GateWay MUD
Earthmother is on a distinguished road
Long ago, Earthmother was a young, wild Priest, yearning to help others. She was not skilled enough for that Holiest of Callings, Resurrection -- it was still beyond her reach. Sure, she could heal others, even supplement their mana supplies, but when experience is scarce, teaming is even scarcer. EM walked the world alone, adventuring and growing slowly, slowly.

Then, the Gods took a look at the Priesthood of Cianna. They were unhappy with the strength that had been bestowed upon these holy fighters, as were many mortal denizens of the Realms. The Gods consulted, weighed the balance on the Great Scales, and made appropriate changes to bring the mighty Guild to a level of power that the other Guilds could live with. The Gods were not malicious... the Priesthood (and the Clerics in it) were *GOOD*, and the Gods wished them no ill-will. Still, the Priests could not be favored. So, compromise was made, and even though some power had been taken away, the Gods granted a new Power to the Clerics. What was lost in combat, was given back... and this gift was destined to change the face of the world forever.

After the great changes, Earthmother struggled briefly in combat, until she learned how to work within the changes. She discovered the new gift, as well... The Gods had granted mid-level Priests the ability to 'feather' heavy armors, thus making them MUCH lighter.

EM was ELATED! At long last, something she could do *for* the other mortals! Something she could do that didn't involve following people around, only healing, and feeling rather useless! The cry "FEATHERS FOR ALL AT NEWBIE STAND!!!" rang out across the Realms. The initial response went something like this: "Feathers? Bah! Serpent Warriors/Vikings/Monks/Devil Worshippers have no need of Priestly frippery!"  

The young Priest was crushed. This spell was GOOD! If only people would *try* it, they would LOVE it! EM solicited advice from the greatest of her Guildmates, the legendary Flp. Her quiet suggestion was to be persistent. So Earthmother went around begging the Knights, known for their generosity, to just *try* this out. One of the main sticking points was the fact that to feather an armor, the Priest has to hold it in his or her hands. This act involves *enormous* trust, because of course, the Priest in question might not give it back! Earthmother earned the trust of the Knights, and soon, nearly all members of this equipment-reliant guild were coming to her to lighten their daily sets of equipment.

Other guilds began to take notice. For some reason, Knight and Priest money runs seemed faster, more lucrative, and more killing was being done. And why was Earthmother *still* hollering on about "Feathers for all at Newbie!" ? One by one, those individuals who trusted Earthmother would hand her all their armor, and she would hand it back piece by piece, lighter....and "Feathered." Serpents and DW's still balked at wearing armor that was obviously marked with a Priest's touch, but the Serpents especially are an eq-dependant lot, and most eventually came around to the concept of Feathered equipment, especially since the addition to their carry capacity was generally 1 or 2 levels.

Earthmother worked day and night to encourage others to utilize the Priesthood's new services. She was *so* thrilled to be able to help others on a daily basis that she strived to spread Cianna's Light to every mortal in the Realms. This involved building personal relationships with each person, building trust with each person, and circumventing eons of Guild v. Guild animosity.

Over years, all Priests became sought after not just for their Resurrective powers. Only the highest ranking Priests could do that, anyhow, but almost every non-newbie Priest could feather. This helped to viably integrate the Priests into the daily game, because equipment is not saved, and everyone must equip daily. Feathers became imperative to many non-Priests, and Priests now had a skill that could be traded for other Guilds' skills, such as the Viking Tiwar rune and Knightly armor adjustments.

Earthmother discovered and then taught other Priests faster ways to feather and return equipment to others so that the trust barrier would not be broken. Day by day, feathers became a more integral part of individual mortals' play.

The Priests have never forgotten the generosity of the Gods of Balance. Even though this spell has changed what was originally conceived at the carry capacity maximum for individual mortals, the Gods have smiled upon it, and left it in play. Earthmother was *not* the only Priest to work hard to integrate this spell into everyone's daily use, but she was a very active Priest at the time of its institution. She built her reputation on this skill: she's known to be helpful, generous, and fast....all the things a fully grown Priest should be. There is a stronger sense of Guild-to-Guild community, and even generalized animosity is put aside daily: nobody wants to hear that a Guild War has suddenly been called, and they are without their Feathers! Feathers are a daily way to maximize one's potential, and with Priests around who are willing to share this 'wealth', well... even the most hardened Serpent or DW can justify 'using those foolish Priests.'
Earthmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
Brody
Legend

Smile

Any more examples floating around out there?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:52 PM   #11
WarHound

Home MUD: Armageddon.org
WarHound is on a distinguished road
A couple of elves had been abusing the training halls of the clan I was in, the T'zai Byn. When one of the PC leaders challenged these elves about their behavior, they ran, deserting and condemning themselves to death.

They left the city, and went to ground somewhere else. So we followed. Back and forth across the Known World we rode, searching, but for naught. The elves had vanished, and there was nothing left but to go home and forget. My character eventually died and was replaced, and about a RL year passed with nothing special happening.

Then, on my spiffy new character, I look across the bar one night and see who else but those wretched elves. Well, it was amusing to see them after so long, but maintaining character-serperation, I said nothing. Soon, though, a Byn Sargeant, who happened to have been a 'Runner', or recruit, with me when the elves had initially deserted, showed up.

It was most amusing, because the elves tried to get recruited by this sergeant AGAIN! Playing dumb, the Sergeant took their coins. Took them to the compound, and promptly took their heads. I saw the heads on pikes, and it amused me how far those elves had run, only to return and die in the place that had condemned them anyway.
WarHound is offline   Reply With Quote