Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 03-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Elgaladwen

Home MUD: Legends of Xenobia
Elgaladwen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Elgaladwen Send a message via Yahoo to Elgaladwen
Yet another of the 'player seeks MUD' threads...

I have read many past threads and scoured many sites to try to find myself a new MUD, (And I will continue to do so, but I thought asking wouldn't hurt as well) but as of yet, I can't find one that I really feel like sticking with. (And yes, I might just need to give some more of a chance.)

I've been playing MUDs for a little over four years, the majority of that having been on Legends of Xenobia. (This died on New Years Eve, and has not been revived, much to my dismay.)

There are a few things I would like in a MUD, but nothing is set in concrete.

Codebase: I am most familiar with Smaug/AFKmud, so that would be a big plus, though I can figure out others.

Theme: I like medieval/fantasy/D&D and that whole sort of thing. The more generic, the better, but I can do ones based on books, as long as you don't need to know everything about the world to be able to play.

RP: RP-Enforced would be my first choice, but Encouraged would be ok, as long as most of the players actually can RP well, and do. In general, I like to RP far, far more than I do anything else, but of course [I think] you need a good balance of both to be able to RP status/wealth and such.

Classes/levels/races/alignment: I am used to all of this being fairly structured, so that's what I am most comfortable with, but I am open to anything.

Players: I like there to always be people on, so I don't have to wait for people to log on to have someone to RP with, but I also don't like when there are so many people that you lose the sense of community that [I feel] MUDs should have. So a medium size one would be good. (Picky, picky. I know)

PK: I don’t really mind if it is allowed or not. The only thing, is if it is allowed, it must be backed by RP.

Death: I’d rather not have permadeath. You never know when I might walk into a bee-hive and die, or something. That would be such a bad way for a character to wink out of existence forever.

Age: I would like 18+, not because I plan on much 'mature' RP, but just so I don't have to worry about breaking rules, or taking something too far on accident.

Little dumb details: I want the game to be able to be played on any client. I recently tried one where you could only see the damage of a mob you were fighting if you were using a certain client, and I found that a little annoying. What if I am on a school computer where I can't install anything? I would like to be able to play regardless of if I have to use telnet or zMud. I also like there to be aliases in the game for the same reason. Also, free would be a good thing. Customizable prompts are always good, too, but I am a compulsive score/eq/I typer, so I can live without, if need be.

If I didn’t mention something, I don’t care one way or the other. Or I totally forgot. (Hopefully the former.)

So, that's my very picky description of what I want. I am open to suggestions, even if they aren't exactly what I posted. I’ll still be poking around on my own and trying different MUDs out, but asking others seems like a good idea, especially if they have what I am looking for. Who knows, I might find a whole bunch that I want to play!

Last edited by Elgaladwen : 03-24-2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Trying to make visible..?
Elgaladwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: Yet another of the 'player seeks MUD' threads...

Is it just the skin I'm using, or was that post done in invisible ink on purpose?

SATAN LOVES YOU
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Elgaladwen

Yes... I wanted only the worthy to be able to read it...

Actually, I have no idea. I am using the light version of the boards, and it is showing up in black.

I tried copying it into notepad, and and copying it back from there. Does it show up now?

I probably set the color to black instead of default, or some dumb thing. Not such a great way to make an impression...
Old 03-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #4
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

Don't worry about it. Yeah, the OP was set in the black color previously. Looks fine now.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Threshold RPG seems like it fits your requirements perfectly.

Threshold is high fantasy/medieval. Our world is totally original. It is not based on any series of books.

Threshold is RP required/enforced. Everyone stays IC and RPs. That is on top of a fully functional and featured "game" in the traditional sense.

Threshold is a level/class based game with races. It has alignment in the form of "ethos" that is tied into the very advanced system of religions.

Threshold hovers around 100+ people during busier times, and drops to around 60-80 at slower times. That number tends to give you enough people to RP with, without feeling overwhelmed.

PK is allowed, but we stress that Threshold is not a PK mud. It is a role playing MUD where PK is allowed as part of RP.

No permadeath.

Threshold has been 18+ since it was opened 12 years ago. I believe we were one of the first to have that rule. Back in the day, it was considered to be an "extreme" rule, but now it is more common I guess.

You can use any client to play Threshold. We have a few that we recommend, but you can even play from a basic unix/telnet prompt.

Hope you give it a shot.

Good luck finding a mud to play, whether it is Threshold or one of the other fine muds out there.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #6
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...

Gonna post a couple I find interesting, (and mind you these are not my games, and just my opinions. in no particular order, and may be a little out of date):

- Open training within class (find trainer with skill, you have money and experience, train it). Decent PvP, though some players PK with little role-play. Role-play in major cities usually not to hard to find. Large world. Lots of possibilities. Only choose Northern Kingdoms (deep elves?) if you like to be alone. Usually 5-10 on.

- ADnD 3.5ish in a Forgotten Realms setting. Good role-play. Active community. Restricts some race/town/class choices based on "kismet", which accrues over time. Originally SMAUG-based, with a lot of modifications to reach defined standards. Some hoop jumping for trades and getting approved to have a deity, but a functional system for both. Usually 5-30 on.

- Really interesting. High degree of role-play. A little iffy on the combat side, and personally not a fan of being forced to be in a "guild", but seems to fit your requirement. Usually people on. Lot of who list seemed to be idlers when I was there, but people I did meet role-played well. Good staff involvement in staff-ran quests.

All 3 use a "greet system" for learning character names, if I remember. All 3 are role-play encouraged or role-play mandatory. All are medieval or close. Seemed like solid games last I played them.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Elgaladwen

Thank you so much, everyone! I am going to go try out some of the MUDs you guys suggested right now!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Xerihae

Name: Chris
Xerihae will become famous soon enough

As well as the ones mentioned, I've got two to personally recommend:

- Meets everything you were looking for I believe with the possible exception of players. Peak times (US) it seems to hit around 10 or so. Completely unique world with races to match (no dwarves or elves etc).

- I spent most of my MUD'ding life here, and whilst I haven't played for years I understand they've progressed a lot since my time there with some serious changes to combat to make it more strategy-oriented.

Both of these are RP-Enforced.
Xerihae is offline   Reply With Quote