Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 06-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #1
elektrisk

elektrisk is on a distinguished road
Searching after a MUD!

My homemud has recently went to hell. So, I'm looking for a MUD under the following criteria:

Multiclassing.
NON-extensive character creation. I hate it when you have to like say your hometown, continent, and 50 million races, crap like that.
A player base of at least 20 people.
I don't like enforced roleplay.
OPTIONAL PK.
Friendly people.
Active imms/gods.
Clans or something of the like [:
I hate losing everything at death.
I hate muds that try to get players to pay for things. In other words, 100% free MUD please.

Thanks!

Last edited by elektrisk : 06-05-2008 at 06:32 PM.
elektrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Searching after a MUD!

Your criteria is rather limiting. I searched and found only a couple muds with your criteria and they looked defunct. If you are dead set on matching everything above you may be hard pressed to find a match, however, if you will forgo a few of those things or be acceptable to most you might try the following:

Iron Realms Games and perhaps 4 Dimensions (though I've not been there in a bit and Molly would have to correct me on some of it). If you can live with some decent roleplay, you can try Threshold or NW.

All of the above games have good playerbases, friendly people, and great active administration.

Good Luck! May you find another game to call home!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road

I would say that Aardwolf very closely fits those requirements. I am aware that it has a steeper learning curve nowadays but its creation process is very straightforward, with options but with the "best few options" mostly given to you so you do not really need to go out of your way to learn everything before starting. They have an active staff, large player-base (so not everybody will be friendly sorry ). The only thing is that roleplay is not really what the MUD is about, if you wanted to have some roleplay or you like roleplay oriented games I would maybe go with NW options (which I know nothing about really)

Also, the 100% free bit is ambiguous and I will not get into a discussion on this subject, Aardwolf accepts donations from time to time to cover costs (last time I checked). You can check 'help donation' I think, or something like that in game (though it may only work the few times of the year donations are actually allowed)

Anyway, good luck with your search.
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Lurker94

Lurker94 is on a distinguished road

I've wandered through many muds over the years and I'm currently calling Aardwolf my mud home. For a mud that always has a minimum of 300 people logged in at a time, I'd say most players are friendly.

Friendly is a subjective term. For example, it's not the kind of "friendly" mud where the minute you log on someone hands you a full set of uber enchanted newbie gear. Aardwolf people generally are more into helping you learn how to play and offering reasonable advice. Personally, muds where they were so desperate for players that they would not leave you alone to even read a room description really annoy me! If you need help with something, there is always someone about to lend a hand without coddling you either

I agree with Spoke that the 100% free issue is subject to debate. Aardwolf will accept donations part of the year to pay for hosting and server costs. However, people who donate don't get anything that they wouldn't earn in game over time. I have not donated, nor do I intend to and I get to enjoy all aspects of Aardwolf and I don't feel like I'm playing a crippled or stigmatized character in any way.
Lurker94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
rendekar

rendekar is on a distinguished road

I am not sure about this but since i found an Aardwolf player i have to ask; isn't it annoying that some games(that takes place in Arena) on Aard allows both remorted and non-remorted characters of the same level as participants? non-remorted players have any chance?
rendekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Lurker94

Lurker94 is on a distinguished road

That doesn't annoy me because I find leveling on Aardwolf to be easier than many muds I've played. There's also a feature that allows you to not gain any experience while you work on questing and other activities to gain quest points which you can use to build up your character by earning extra trains and other bonuses. I've used that feature to earn quest equipment while still remaining level 1.

I've seen some really strong level 1 characters who never remorted who could consistently win duels against people who remorted back to level 1. I've also seen people who are very low level and non-remorts consistently win global quests (competitive quests for specific level ranges).

Like many muds, being competitive frequently boils down to knowledge of the world and game mechanics
Lurker94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
coil

coil is on a distinguished road

is wonderful and fits your criteria. Tempus is a time travel mud that combines medieval fantasy and science fiction. No enforced role play here; play how you like. I've been here over ten years and still love it. Best of luck wherever you end up!
coil is offline   Reply With Quote