Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 02-03-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Lovend

Lovend is on a distinguished road
I have C for Dummies, and it's making sense so far. I've been playing MUD's for 10 years, and understand the mechanics of Coding in Theory (in my head), just haven't learned the language yet. I have a few questions.

1. The book suggests getting Windows C++ Compiler, but it retails for 109 dollars. There is a couple of other ones for less, but can I download a C compiler somewhere online that doesn't have all the bells and whistles? I just wanna pratice for now.

2. For someone with zero coding experience, but has lots of patience and that has an idea of how it all works, how long do you think it'll be before I can code more advanced formulas such as combat systems, and quest systems? Heck, how long before I'll even be able to just code rooms and classes etc?

3. Are there more advanced guides tailored specifically for creating in MUDs, that help you get what you want?

4. Deciding I want original class, leveling, quest, trade, and combat systems, does that basically say I'd have to write my own MUD Source code, or can other MUD engines be ripped apart safely, and remade into what I want?

I'd love any feedback you have for me, and thank you in advance.

Love
Lovend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Kylotan

Home MUD: Abattoir (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Jellybean (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Dark Chambers (Merc)
Kylotan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kylotan Send a message via AIM to Kylotan Send a message via MSN to Kylotan Send a message via Yahoo to Kylotan
Search for MinGW, assuming you're on Windows.

17 and a half days. Actually, there's no good way of estimating such a thing. Altering the formula behind the combat system is generally trivial while altering it in its entirety is not, and how long it all takes you will depend on how quick a learner you are, how much you understand besides the code (eg. combat systems are statistical in nature... how well do you understand that area?) and just how much work you're trying to complete. As for coding rooms and classes, most MUDs don't require any code to edit these anyway.

There are several different systems used by MUDs so any advanced guide you may or may not find, may not apply to the system you're working with. There is at least one MUD programming book but I have no idea about its quality and I expect it does not deal with any particular type of existing MUD system in depth.

Personally, if I wanted to make a MUD with all those systems being unique, I'd start from scratch, and I wouldn't use the C programming language. But there are no limitations on what you use. Any program that you have the code to, can eventually be edited into any other program. It's just that you'll save yourself some time if you pick something closer to what you want for the end result.
Kylotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Raewyn

Raewyn is on a distinguished road
Dear Love,

C for Dummies is a fine guide to start out with. If you are considering C++, try Absolute C++ by Walter Savich. It is written in English that many would understand, targetted towards university students. Not something you would be able to pick up at a Barnes & Noble or Borders, mind you. Amazon.com might have it.

If you plan on compiling a realm on a Windows machine, you may also want to pick up or read some documentation regarding Windows vulnerabilities. Same goes for any other types of platforms you decide to build on. It is a very cold day when a hacker decides to swipe up all your code, source or binary, when you spent days, months, or even years, working on it.

Prior to actually coding in a realm, check out socket programming! I may or may not suit your taste, but helps in rounding out one's knowledge base.

Coding a MUD is quite an ambitious project. Though it may not be your fancy, try testing out those free codebases, such as CircleMUD or LPMud. Try altering some code and see what types of responses you get from the code. Read some more, then code, read some more, code. The books will let you get by with coding simple addition programs, but MUDs are fundamentally complex. Data structures, heartbeats, structures -- not to mention things people will see in the game, skill systems, death systems, and so on.

Most codebases can be heavily torn apart and filled in with an author's revisions. Yet, people find that their worlds are still contrained by the principles inherent to the free codebase, usually surrounding how data structures work or how the game reacts to players. Some have been very successful at this, however.

Not sure how long this will take, it all depends on how much time you have to devote to the project. Even veteran programmers can spend 1-2 years coding the basics of their world. Best of luck on your endeavors!

Best regards,

Raewyn
Raewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #4
Lovend

Thanks both. solid replies. Maybe I can run some of my ideas by you via email, and you can name some ideas for different languages. I like the idea of starting from scratch, and using a program language to help me with that, rather than code ALL of the utilities i need from C.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:59 PM   #5
Lovend

I'm still having problems from scratch. I just wanna download a stock code and play around with it. And right now, I've downloaded PainMUD and SMAUGmud, and I can seem to even open them or install them. I have ZMud, I also downloaded MinGW and I seems like a collection of scripts, and not a program I can open and try to use. Can anyone help me get a mud running from scratch? Assume I know nothing, I have windows XP, cable connection, and a good hardware spec all around.

I know it might take some time helping a complete noob to muds, but I will turn your help into a from scratch noobie guide if it really is as complicated as it seems.

I know you guys know so much more than me, and there is a lot of resources on the web, but it's all assuming you have your mud up and running.

I'd appreciate any help, seriously.

Right now, I'm open to use any codebase, I just want to get something up in any form, and play around with the races and classes, build some rooms, and basically peek into the combat code and guild code to see how it works. I just want to make something fun for a friend and myself.

My email is , I'll also be checking back for any useful info. Thanks.