Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
gorock

gorock is on a distinguished road
New Smaug Area

firstly i was wondering if there is an area swap and secondly im not great at coming up with ideas for new areas but i do enjoy building and i was wondering if a few people could post up some really good ideas for areas im wanting to build something completely diff the mud i play on are mainly basic areas or areas with alot of keys there no special areas like a pixie city where when big people try to go in the house it crushes it or something like that lol hers something with its own unique race would be nice rather then using the typical skeleton orcs giants etc. etc. thank you for any help guys
gorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New Smaug Area

Since you mentioned it is a basic smaug I am going to guess the mud is mainly gear-based? Players will mostly be exploring areas for items/potions/scrolls? If that is the case then you will want new areas that cater to that demand. If you ask me that calls for just making some mindless dungeon romps - put a line of 20 monsters in front of a boss and nice items on the boss, make it a challenge so that the players need to group. That's the basic formula. Its nice to have this for your "max level" players.

If you already have enough areas like that, and are just looking for ways to make things less lacklustre, you might want to actually look into improving those basic areas.. for example, in AR, instead of hitting a wall and reading "Alas, you cannot go that way" it will say something unique in every room like "The trees rise to prevent you passing by." which is very nice for atmosphere. And obviously there's lots of fun mobs.. bards that you can pay to sing songs, alchemists that sell potions, hard-coded custom quests (we have lots of these, one has the player character visiting every pub in Thera and getting drunk there, another is a search for buried treasure that ends in being afflicted by a long-lasting hex). Those are the common things that mud makers code into these sort of codebases. You might also want to put in games like blackjack and poker if the setting allows. My ideas tend to lean toward what players can have the most fun with. You may get the best responses by just asking your players what they'd like to be able to do.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
gorock

gorock is on a distinguished road

Well as it is now I can't do any of the coding because only the mud administrator does all that. There are plenty of hack and slash areas and I was hoping to add an area that has some good storyline and hopefully I can create the area using a whole new race of monsters. And my main question is how would i go about making decent items that you don't have to kill some super boss to get but is still rare, maybe by creating a prog that allows characters to collect a bunch of rare items that aren't hard to get but once all collected can be given to a specail mob to create a better item. But then that would still create farms who mass produce the item. The mud admin tends to downstat items that are farmed but i want to prevent that while still making it so that any avatar can get the item, because there are some avatars that try to solo but can never get anywhere because they are REQUIRED to have a major group to get any good items.
gorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point

You could have some of those crafting mats only drop off those mobs that people normally group for, so soloers can buy them off groupers who don't need them - this would be in harmony with the gameplay that game has now. Soloers will end up with a lot more gold from farming ordinary mobs for mats, this keeps the currency flowing around. I'm assuming everyone needs gold here.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote