Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 01-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #1
Renwulf

Renwulf is on a distinguished road
Renwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:10 AM   #2
Anitra

Anitra is on a distinguished road
Anitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Wasn't it DR that brought TMS to its knees because it couldn't handle that amount of traffic? And I don't think they gave out bi-daily reminders, I think it was just some requests over a global channel...
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
I wish they'd start voting here again. That would be great.

Traffic traffic traffic!
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:06 AM   #5
Crystal

Name: Crystal
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Crystal is on a distinguished road
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Official address for Simutronics' generally:

And I agree with Threshold. Get whoever runs DR and Gemstone to vote here. They'd easily be #1 and #2. I want a chance to convert some of their players!

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
Renwulf

- main DR site
              - Platinum fan site

My apologies for not posting the URLs.  I'm not going to say this MUD is better than all the rest - quite frankly I've always been more of a "modern" gamer and don't know if this MUD is the best.  It's all subjective anyways.  Still, DR just has something that's alluring to me - and if it isn't broke I'm not about to fix it!  

I've started searching out new players due to the many 3D games slowly reducing the MUD population.  I know a great deal of us still MUD, we're just kind of disorganized at the moment.  I've never seen a reason why people can't play 2-3 games anyways (if they have the time).  If one gets a little boring this month, move on for a bit.  

And, I posted on the DR forums as to why they stopped encouraging voting.  Is it possible to place a link on a site other than the main site? ( for example, I wanted to place a voting link on my Fan site).  You're rules are a hair vague about this, I can't even figure out where to get the <tags> from to place the voting link.  Thanks again for the replies.

edit - Oh I forgot to point out Logos... you and our DR Admin have near-identical avatars. Spooky!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
Rindu

Rindu is on a distinguished road
I feel the same way about Gemstone. There's just something about the game that makes it so wonderful. I've played a lot of MUDs and MMOs, and many of them have better mechanics: I like Dragonrealms' "leveling" system better, for example. But Gemstone, for me has a certain magic to it.

I realised after a while that this magic is the players. Gemstone (and Dragonrealms, too) attract a certain kind of player: the roleplayer, more so than other muds I've played. When it comes down to it, all the fine-tuning of game mechanics and so forth that have been implemented are ones which support role-playing. (TONS of role-playing verbs; items with shows and actions, etc.)

Other games are just fine, but they aren't for me.

And Matt...or whoever it was from Iron Realms: no offence at all, you make really good games, but I don't think Gemstone would lose players to you. I played Achaea for a while, and I think that it is for a different kind of gamer.
Rindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
the_logos
Legend

Yep, you can place them wherever you want. I can't help you with the tags though as I don't know what account name DR registered with. Why don't you try emailing webmaster (-at-) topmudsites (-dot-) com and ask him. He'll be glad to tell you I'm sure.

--matt
Old 01-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
the_logos
Legend

Oh, I'm sure we would, just like Gemstone or DR would end up with some of our players. (We have players from both Gemstone and DR already, including ex-staff from Simutronics, and I would bet anything that Gemstone and DR have ex-IRE players as well). I'm not implying our games are better than Simutronics, as I believe it's all in the eye of the individual user.

What's good about this subjectivity is that two games might both have players who are happy with the games but who might be happier in another game, and there's no reason to believe it wouldn't go both ways. So what happens is that everybody wins in a way: The MUDs get a chance to expose themselves to players who might not even know they're missing something they want, the players get a chance to see if they might actually like something better, and so on. And of course, the happier a player is and the better the MUD is for them, the more likely thta player is going to want to contribute financially. So, it's possible to have players leave IRE and go to Simutronics and vice-versa and instead of zero net impact, it has a net positive impact for IRE, Simutronics, and the players involved. Everybody wins!

--matt
Old 01-08-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
That is exactly how we feel about it as well. We have TONS of players on Threshold that came here after leaving DR and all the different Simultronics games. I wouldn't be surprised if the reverse were true as well.

But the thing is, a happy customer is more involved in the game, plays more, recruits more friends, etc. Also, the happier player is a more engaging and interesting persona in the world. When people are having fun, that is contagious. So more happy players = more new people who come and say "wow, this is a great place, everyone is having fun!"

I'd rather lose players who are only marginally satisfied with Threshold, if in return I could GAIN players who really enjoy it. Players who love your product are always better- not just from a business sense, but the business side is easier to quantify.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #12
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I always rather liked Gemstone, it was the first MUDs I got into back in the 90's.  Sadly, I lack the finances to play Gemstone regularly these days, so I've fallen out of it.

I myself never quite understood how people get hooked on MMO's. I've taken up WoW, it's alright, I play every once in a while. I just feel like in most MMO's you can't do anything unless you've spent an ungodly amount of time to reach a really high level.

However, I used to play City of Heroes. That was the only MMO I found no real issues with. There seemed to be enough variety and quantifiable rewards in that game to keep me occupied for a while. I've been meaning to get City of Villains in order to start back up as a corny 50's era type supervillain. Of course, this would mean ending my play of WoW, but that doesn't bother me that much.

I've really just gotten tired of that whole medieval fantasy environment. If I never see another sword again, it'd be too soon.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #13
Renwulf

I agree with Logos. It's not about who's MUD is err... better. It's about the cross-benefits of competition and a transient population. Everyone can benefit by people being made more aware of the larger MUD-community.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
Renwulf

In the land of 3D MMOs, one MUD still shines. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adventures Unlimited - the land of Tharel Ytrewtsu Advertising for Players 0 08-23-2004 10:39 AM
The Land of Necromium. Vhati Advertising for Players 0 05-16-2003 02:26 AM
The Land of Arthanox awaits arthanox Advertising for Players 0 03-27-2003 05:06 PM