Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 04-28-2006, 01:42 AM   #121
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
I found this at AotT's main page, under the 'Charges' section on the left. Seems to check out just fine, at least as far as being commercial and that deal.

It's here if you need to see it for yourself.

Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:00 AM   #122
nhl

nhl is on a distinguished road
I can't find any reference that AotT would have any full-paid staff. Last night, when I checked out their website, there were a total of 4 people playing. This morning there is none. While amount of player isn't a criteria for exclusion, it seems to me that with such a playercount and at 12 USD per month per player, it would not be possible to sustain full-time paid staff.
nhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:35 AM   #123
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Of course - but supposing you were to have made the following public:

1) A fully disclosed line-by-line diff comparison of several thousands lines of code, which showed vast quantities of completely identical code,

2) A summary of the comparisons, including points of particular interest (such as your own name in the comments) and an overall originality percentage of each file,

3) A copy of a fax which I'd signed under penalty of perjury, confirming that the code you'd examined was indeed what I was using.

Now let's assume that the code itself has been made available for download for anyone wishing to confirm for themselves the accuracy of your comparisons, and that your findings have also been publically acknowledged by several other well-known mud developers.

We'll also assume that I don't even bother denying that my mud was based on your code, but instead simply respond that I've changed lots of it, and that my lawyers have said there's nothing you can do about it.

Are you still telling me, honestly, that you would expect other people to ignore the issue until it had been settled in the courts?

Yet the violation of licences is something that affects all mud developers (well, at least all those who release their own code, or base their work upon the code of others) - I've had to deal with the whole "Medievia do it, so why can't I?" crowd on a number of occasions when people have violated my licences.

Perhaps it's just another difference between the commercial and non-commercial muds. The latter can't generally afford to take legal action, so we stick up for each other by drawing attention to those who steal from other mud developers.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:12 AM   #124
nhl

nhl is on a distinguished road
There's 1708 MUDs currently listed in TMC. Of those, I would guess around 1500-1600 (or more) are non-commercial. Yet it's only a handful of people (the same ones that have been at it for years) who "stick up for each other" (stick up for whom, DIKU?) in this case. So don't even try to portray this as somekind of typical trait for non-commercial MUDs versus commercial ones - the absolute majority of the MUD admins couldn't care less about this dispute, and the same is even more true for players.
nhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:43 AM   #125
Splork

Splork is on a distinguished road
There are many of us who feel the way Kavir does. The difference is we remain quiet and try to avoid posting on these forums.

My guess is your jumping to one helluva bad conclusion saying the absolute majority of mud owners could care a less about this situation. We do care, there just isn't much we can contribute to the conversation. Ofcourse some care more than others. But you 'should' be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks what they have done or continue doing is morally correct.

Proof of this is the fact that the absolute majority of mud owners abide by their mud licenses.

Enjoy,
Splork
Splork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #126
cron0s

cron0s is on a distinguished road
I think a reposting of the criteria would be helpful. I am not entirely sure whether you are defining professional as someone who is paid to work on the mud, or works full time on it, or if it is their only income, or their main income, etc.

If you mean only those muds who have at least one person working on it as their full time paid job, I don't see how you can have a complete list without input from the mud owners themselves. For example, you have Avalon, the First Age listed, yet having played it and seen how small the playerbase is, I can't see how it makes much of a living for anyone. Unfortunately only the owner of the mud can say that for certain.

I think the list is valuable, yet if you use criteria which are hard for an outsider to judge, particularly those involving possibly sensitive financial information, you will find it difficult to include many muds other than those run by yourself and other regular contributors to this forum.
cron0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:28 AM   #127
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
If you want to discuss whether or not Medievia deserves to be advertised on this list, feel free to do so here. If you want to discuss the legal issues surrounding the plagiarism/license issues, please take it over to the Legal Issues forum.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #128
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
Hmm. Well, in the above post they do mention hiring programmers, but yeah, they make it sound like it might be more like 'contracting' them instead.

I think as long as someone had the qualifications to get paid for it, you can still call it professional. Sometimes it's cheaper just to have work done by the piece instead of giving someone a salary and hoping for the best.

It's your thread, though, do your thing. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the Medievia thing. I apologize to Soleil for poking a touchy subject and bringing it back to debate.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #129
Soleil

Soleil is on a distinguished road
No need to apologize, Lark, I appreciate your effort/support.

Again I need to ask.. What is the purpose of this list?  Just for the sake of these forums or will this list be made a 'sticky' or put somewhere else?  In either case, if Aristotle says this:

Why not just include us anyways?  The flamewar is already going on in this thread and will continue I'm sure if you do or don't list us.  If you were to 'sticky' the list, can't the moderators make it so no responses can be made?  I'm sure I've seen that done on other forums.  And in addition, if this list is to be exported somewhere else (not sure where that would be), just a listing per se would not lead to even further discussion of the issue if the people moderating that list didn't want any further discussion.

The bottom line, as I see it, and as I've said before, is that Medievia isn't listed because we are Medievia.  And as many people have now stated, we ARE a professional/commercial game and we SHOULD be listed.  Without us, the list would be incomplete.  We get upwards of 400 people online at peak times.  Having a list of large/commercial/professional MUDs without Medievia is an invalid list.  If you are aiming for a true list of MUDs that are run professionally, Medievia should be there.  Period.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #130
Emil

Emil is on a distinguished road
To those that don't care a hoot about ethics and moral, it may be hard to grasp that other people still do. It's like trying to explain the concept of music to someone who is tone deaf, or the difference between red and blue to someone who is colour blind.

To those of us that do care, it seems natural that most decent people share our belief, although they aren't usually very vocal about it. It's what's known as the silent majority.

It's no coincidence that most fee muds still honour the Diku licence.
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #131
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Edit: I just started a new thread in a more appropriate forum. The link is here:

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #132
Soleil

Soleil is on a distinguished road
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #133
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Good idea.

For inclusion on this List:

1) Must be a primarily text based MUD.

2) Must be a legally incoporated business entity.

3) The primary owner(s) or operator(s) must be paid full time to work on the MUD.

4) Must be listed on TopMudSites.

5) Cannot use or have ever used DIKU or any other DIKU-derived codebase due to the inflammatory nature of this issue. (Criterion #5 is still under consideration).
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #134
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote

MUDs run by Professional Game Developers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Text MUD developers acquired! the_logos MUD Announcements 1 08-11-2006 03:43 PM
Developers Blog Baram MUD Announcements 2 04-29-2006 04:52 PM
CalaisMUD seeking Lib Developers! (LPC) calaismud Advertising for Staff 0 06-24-2004 04:46 PM
Professional, Dedicated, Results Oriented... Azeroth Advertising for Staff 0 12-10-2003 03:49 PM
AIME Developers NEEDED!!! darmir Advertising for Staff 1 03-21-2003 12:28 PM