Achaea's Illustrated World Map

the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road
Re: Achaea's Illustrated World Map

This looks seriously great, one of the best-looking maps I've ever seen. Do you know what software was used to create it?

The only thing I would tweak is I would make the text a little more contrasty, and would not go down in font size so much, especially if the place named is actually a full-size area.

I'm curious how you're making use of the map. Are you planning to integrate it into your HTML5 client?

A few months back I wrapped in some jQuery SmoothZoom code and I think it really helped make it more functional. I added an area jumper/selector and at some point I want to add a 'click to travel there' capability for when the map is opened in a window inside our web client. Are you thinking along the same lines?
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Achaea's Illustrated World Map

He just used photoshop, which is impressive. I figured he was using AutoCAD.

Yeah, the small font sizes are way too small. Even printed at four feet high, I can barely read some of the details.

I'm not sure yet. It's not really useful for world navigation, and we already have node maps in the client. I think what it is useful for is helping anchor the idea in a new player's mind that "This is a world not a chatroom with some game elements."

Since it's mainly ornamental rather than functional, I think the most we'd do with it is stick the map in the map window on client startup and then zoom into the world map to the spot where the player is while fading out to the node-based map.

Nice. I don't know if we'd do click-to-travel there, as you can't freely teleport around our worlds. We're definitely going to add click-to-walk to our node-based map, but I don't think we'd do the same thing on the world map.
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote