Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 08-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Kitriana

Home MUD: genesismud.org 3011
Kitriana is on a distinguished road
Genesis - the Original LPMud

Genesis is still around and kicking.. in the last year we have had an uptick in our playerbase thanks to our new websocket-based client, which is also available through Google Chromestore. It launches with a single click from the website rather than requiring you to download an external client to get started. This also beats any firewall issues that many servers have in place.

Also the client provides a very intuitive and straightforward display, including a dynamic map of where you are that shows your position moving on unique hand-crafted ascii layout.

There have been some nice changes to the games in reaction to comments from newbies. We typically have somewhere betweeen 30-50 people in game now. I've seen it peak at 100.

Available through - , through google Chromestore , or the old fashioned client way... genesismud.org port 3011
Kitriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:01 AM   #2
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road
Re: Genesis - the Original LPMud

Is experience-for-exploration a huge part of the early game?

Do players have to reincarnate at least once to carry large amounts of accumulated experience over to the guild they actually want to play so they can actually be useful in combat?
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #3
Kitriana

Feel free to ask further specifics if i've not answered your question sufficiently.

First question:
So I'd say that experience for questing is a huge part of the game. As there is a balance set up through a mechanism of "brutality" that limits how much you can grow through combat in related proportionately to your quest experience. So you really have to do both.. quest (solving tasks, riddles, etc) on a solo or mostly solo basis and be involved in combat. If you ignore questing, then it will hamper your ability to grow through combat quickly at your brutality levels will hold you back.

You do get some general experience for exploring. But you get by far more through questing and combat.

Second question:

There is no necessity to die or reincarnate to join guilds or be useful in combat. Guild experience is achieved by practicing and improving guild abilities in and out of combat.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
dark acacia
Banned

Thanks, I think I understand.

The game sounded a little like BatMUD, where spending a lot of time going from room to room just to get the exploration experience points is pretty much a requirement, because you're otherwise useless without literally millions of accumulated experience to spend on the skills and spells of the actual guild you want to play. This is also the primary reason why I don't play BatMUD.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
Kitriana

So I'd say Genesis is not anyhting like Batmud based on your description. There is not need to explore every nook and cranny for xp gathering purposes. Your main means of growth are through combat xp and questing xp.

You can get general xp from herbing, exploring, event participation .. but this is extremely minor in comparison to the above two.

We have a skill based system where you learn and improve different abilities. Some available through adventure guilds dispersed through the realms. The rest through the guilds you join. With options of 1 in each subgroup. Occupation, Laymen, Racial, Trade/Hobby. Those skills are improved via currency spent.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
dark acacia
Banned

So I've been playing Genesis, and it's actually a pretty fun game.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Kitriana

Glad you're enjoying it!
The playerbase is pretty helpful on the newbie ntell line.

The our volunteer wizarding force is also always open to hearing input from new players. They may not take your suggestions. But they have made a lot of changes based on recommendations/critique from players.