Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2002, 04:00 PM   #41
Seth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ede, The Netherlands
Posts: 271
Seth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Seth Send a message via MSN to Seth
Ah yes, the wonders of discussion forums. It's like politics, they can't agree even on the single most boring thing, even here. It's like there is this constant war against anything that isn't related to MUDs. First it was the spam and now it's the talk that's not related to spam which would lead me straight to hell, if I were to believe the lot of you people.

Now seriously, I think general unrelated talk should be allowed. Why? Simple, because it's thanks to that this is a community, not a load of people who just post allot and about 300 people who lurk and leech information with ever saying something themselves. (those people talk the loudest in here, odd isn't it?)

That, and maybe, MAYBE there are people here who are here for that community who you're all so enthusiastically willing to kill? I am, for one. I couldn't care less about MUDs. I played one and I liked it because of the social aspect, but the MUD itself was boring like *BEEP*. And I honestly think I'm not the only one here who just likes being here to talk to people, sometimes in a silly way and other times not.

Anyways, I fully encourage a seperation from the front-end Recent Forum Discussion thingy. If people want to read any interesting threads in here, they shouldn't be such a lazy bum and click the two damned links that lead to the Tavern. Don't ruin the fun for others because you're too lazy to click a few links.
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:07 PM   #42
Shao_Long
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: belfast, UK
Posts: 505
Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
listen,folk ! maybe you really should pass a petition to Synozeer asking to kill the comunity,leaving just info ??

hell,people ! Not everyone's here just for 'information'.People mean more.
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:51 PM   #43
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by
[b]Seth wrote:[b]
Now seriously, I think general unrelated talk should be allowed. Why? Simple, because it's thanks to that this is a community, not a load of people who just post allot and about 300 people who lurk and leech information with ever saying something themselves. (those people talk the loudest in here, odd isn't it?)
That statement makes absolutely no sense. How can someone lurk without saying anything, yet talk the loudest?

However you are wrong about the community aspect. The community here has built up around people who like to discuss muds. It's only recently that other people have decided to come here and talk about socks and other completely unrelated things. And if you "couldn't care less about MUDs" then what on earth are you doing on Top Mud Sites?

Once again I reiterate, Top Mud Sites is a forum for discussing muds. If I want to learn about your socks, I'll find a sock discussion forum (and if I WASN'T interested in socks, I wouldn't log on there, tell everyone that I wasn't interested in socks, then proceed to start discussing muds).

Really, you people disgust me. Learn a few manners.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 05:37 PM   #44
Valg
Moderator
 
Valg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Posts: 643
Valg will become famous soon enough
Given that the majority of non-MUD posts on these forums are generated by a small group of people, one solution is to ban that small group of people by IP, given that they ignore all suggestions otherwise.

I agree that it's good to have a forum for miscellany, so long as the miscellany is at least peripherally related to MUDs. There are plenty of good threads on the Tavern, but they're difficult to find, and the spam has greatly hindered my desire to use this site.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:01 PM   #45
Shao_Long
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: belfast, UK
Posts: 505
Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
well,point me to ANY pure spam posts in Tavern for last days..
(Socks dont count - they had a REAL reason )
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 08:27 PM   #46
Xanferious
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The Void
Posts: 490
Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
banning people by ip is hard cuz most of those n00bs use aol and its not a static ip, if you ban the host isp all toagther then your losing the others that come here to talk about the important stuff, but everyone needs to chill, the forums have been settleing down tho.
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:59 PM   #47
LikitaRenn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: portland, oregon, usa
Posts: 138
LikitaRenn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LikitaRenn Send a message via AIM to LikitaRenn Send a message via MSN to LikitaRenn
Lightbulb

god, how freaking hard is it?? i mean, if you're not interested in socks, there's a simple solution... DON'T CLICK THE "SOCKS" THREAD! is that not why there are titles on the threads?!? i don't understand what's the big deal! i mean, i love the fact that i came in here and people have befriended me! the community is the most important part to me, and if you kill that, you will lose a lot more people than just the "small group" of people posting the threads that aren't mud-related. if you want just plan boring information, read a freaking encyclopedia, or stay in the serious discussions. but some people want to interact with other people with the same interests, in more than just a "hey, can you tell me how to...?" or a "hey, any suggestions on...?" manner. jeez, two of the people in here are two of my best friends, and that wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the silly things in the tavern, because the things in the "discussions" bore me. (not all mudders know how to code or build, some enjoy PLAYING it, and leaving the techie stuff to those who are good at it, so a lot of the stuff in there is way useless to those of us who fit into that catagory)

muds are games, and games are meant to be fun... so how did you mudders get your heads stuck so far up your collective ass?

and i completely agree with shao on this point.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Isnt the knowledge that mudders are here,is enough to make this thing mud-related ??
you think we're being selfish by wanting to discussion "silly" things, but aren't you being a bit hypocritical by trying to make us stop? where's the good old american freedom of speech? "can't we all just get along?" (and call a good proctologist to help remove your heads so you can see other people's points???)

-likita
LikitaRenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 12:21 AM   #48
Mason
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 158
Mason is on a distinguished road
As of 11:24pm central time, shao, xanf, seth, and likita have a combined total of 997 posts. TMS has a total of 3040 posts. There are 403 total members. That means that 4 people have about 33% of the posts while 399 people have the other 67%. Arguably, a great percentage of those 997 posts have been spam, or arguments about spam. Many other people's posts have been in response to the infamous 4.

I believe these facts speak for themselves.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 04:35 AM   #49
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by
the community is the most important part to me, and if you kill that, you will lose a lot more people than just the "small group" of people posting the threads that aren't mud-related.
The "community" you refer to appears to consist of yourself and three others. So why don't you take your "community" elsewhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by
if you want just plan boring information, read a freaking encyclopedia, or stay in the serious discussions. but some people want to interact with other people with the same interests, in more than just a "hey, can you tell me how to...?" or a "hey, any suggestions on...?" manner.
You appear to miss the point. This is Top Mud Sites. The forums here are for discussing muds. If you want to discuss other things, then take it to email or to a private chatroom. You are not wanted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
jeez, two of the people in here are two of my best friends, and that wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the silly things in the tavern, because the things in the "discussions" bore me. (not all mudders know how to code or build, some enjoy PLAYING it, and leaving the techie stuff to those who are good at it, so a lot of the stuff in there is way useless to those of us who fit into that catagory)
If you want to play, play. If you want to talk about muds, then do so. But this is not a mud, nor a chatroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Isnt the knowledge that mudders are here,is enough to make this thing mud-related ??
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
you think we're being selfish by wanting to discussion "silly" things, but aren't you being a bit hypocritical by trying to make us stop?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
where's the good old american freedom of speech?
1. I am not American.
2. You apparently don't understand the meaning of "freedom of speech".
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 06:18 AM   #50
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
An interesting fact from the statistics supplied by Mason is that if every member of these boards posted as frequently as the four individuals he mentioned, there would be over one hundred thousand posts every month. Let's just be glad that most of the other posters show a little more consideration!
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 06:45 AM   #51
Seth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ede, The Netherlands
Posts: 271
Seth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Seth Send a message via MSN to Seth
Quote:
Originally Posted by (KaVir @ May 12 2002,10:51 pm)
However you are wrong about the community aspect.  The community here has built up around people who like to discuss muds.  It's only recently that other people have decided to come here and talk about socks and other completely unrelated things.  And if you "couldn't care less about MUDs" then what on earth are you doing on Top Mud Sites?
Read the goddamn post, Mr. I-dont-care-what-someone-else-says-as-long-as-I-can-bitch-at-that-person. It clearly says that the social aspect is very much interesting, same here on these forums. I talk with people because I like to talk with them, not because I am so obsessed with MUDs I can't even have fun anymore or a decent life, like most of you turdflingers around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (KaVir @ May 12 2002,10:51 pm)
Really, you people disgust me.  Learn a few manners.
You, my friend, make a crap example for teaching us manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (KaVir @ May 13 2002,10:35 am)
The "community" you refer to appears to consist of yourself and three others.  So why don't you take your "community" elsewhere else?
KaVir is partially right here. There is no TMS community anymore, just a bunch of people who take MUDs far to serious and forget that the whole concept of creating a MUD is to have fun in a nice way. Instead, they bitch at everyone and forget this having fun principle altogether, with the only social contacts that they still have consisting of MUD gatherings where they eventually forget their own RL name. I pity that kind of people.

These are the kind of people who make up the majority of TMS. Close minded people. People I do not want to associate myself with. Henceforth I have decided to let these forums die out and rot in peace, because they are not worth the effort to argue about. I have met several wonderful people here, I had nice arguements and I have been astonished that people who are running social games can be such utter assholes.

The avatar hosting service will go down in one week. PM/email me your avatar URL and I'll decide if I'm going to keep it or not, based on the fact wether you are a <removed the 'F' bomb. -OE> asshole or not. Anyone remotely nice who is interested in still contacting me, feel free to MSN me at jeroenvogelpoel@hotmail.com. The rest of you can screw yourself and drop dead, thank you very much.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 06:54 AM   #52
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 09:09 AM   #53
Shao_Long
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: belfast, UK
Posts: 505
Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
Angry

im tend to agree with Seth here..you people make EXCELLENT work in disrupting communities..
maybe you work in some special agency on communications devastation assingment..

Im posting a poll,and,well..we'll see..If the results will be just as i fear they will be..well,bye-bye TMS...

*edited to add ps*


PS. and,yes freaking stop already yer flaming ! I suppose everything was posted in this thread can be answered by mine last two polls..Hell,do you care,people ??or about people...
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 09:49 AM   #54
cainers
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 12
cainers is on a distinguished road
Okay, very simple.  What URL do you type into your browser when you come here, topMUDsites.com.

If you wish to discuss socks, it would stand to reason that you would go to this site:

I LOVE SOCKS!

Which appears to be a really neat site about this guy, and his love for socks.

However, if you would like to discuss relevant mud related issues, then we are happy to have you aboard.

And BTW, The mud community that frequents here, and on mudconnector is a very tight knit group. Those that feel we are obscessed with MUDS i have two words for you; No ####!
You think anybody puts up with the #### and hassle that a mudder puts up with without being obscessed? *shrug*

Thats it,
Cainers
cainers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 09:58 AM   #55
Shao_Long
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: belfast, UK
Posts: 505
Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
the people ASKED for socks..see the suggestions forum..
and,ask you again..SHOW ME SOME RECENT SPAM..
Or stop the hell flaming about how bad it is !
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 10:25 AM   #56
KaVir
Legend
 
KaVir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
Posts: 2,052
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Shao_Long wrote:
im tend to agree with Seth here..you people make EXCELLENT work in disrupting communities..
Actually our community was fine for the last couple of years, until you lot turned up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Im posting a poll,and,well..we'll see..If the results will be just as i fear they will be..well,bye-bye TMS...
Excellent! Just two more to go, then. What do I need to vote?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:19 AM   #57
Shao_Long
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: belfast, UK
Posts: 505
Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
hmmmmm...After seeing your reaction..
Think I shoulda hang around there for a while more
sorry
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:26 AM   #58
Jazuela
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 846
Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I'll offer a few words as someone who was once the target of flames here by KaVir and Co.

I broke the rules out of ignorance, and got thoroughly roasted for it. In the private forums I go to elsewhere, such flaming is strictly against ToS and anyone flaming someone just because that someone did something wrong would be considered JUST as much in violation of the rules as the person who they were flaming. So I came here with that perspective. And I was flabbergasted, and not just a little irate, when I was treated so poorly.

I still think flames - insults - slamming someone intentionally to make them feel like idiots - is wrong. No matter what the reason.

But in the current trend on these boards, I've seen people try to deal with "violators of the spirit of the boards if not the actual policies" in fairly polite ways. At first. And then it seemed that these "violators" have decided that this is their new playground and if everyone else who's been here for years doesn't like it, then THEY can find a new playground.

I'll tell ya something. THIS AIN'T NO PLAYGROUND. If you want to play, log into a mud and play. That's what muds are for. There are a few focused threads that are great for us as contributors and readers of this forum to relax in. Such as that word association one, and the occasional "continued story" thread.

But socks? Hello? Do you not understand how ridiculous that is? Would you submit a poll about your favorite socks to your high school yearbook? To the daily newspaper in your town?

This is OUR daily newspaper. We love our text-based comic strips, sure. But those comics should only take up 1 or 2 pages within a 50 page paper. At the present time, it is not. At the present time, when I type www.topmudsites.com into the URL buffer and hit enter, the home page shows me an index of current threads. NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH MUDS.

This isn't topComicsites.com. It is topmudsites. If you have nothing to contribute or no interest in reading about the muds, then find another forum to play in.

To wrap this all up - KaVir, I hope you don't put me in the same category as some of the folks here of late. I can see now why you took such a vehement stand, though I disagree with the methods. I apologize for the past, and agree with you on the present.

-Formerly known as Baglady
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:33 AM   #59
Shao_Long
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: belfast, UK
Posts: 505
Shao_Long is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Shao_Long Send a message via MSN to Shao_Long
Angry

again and again and I ask you again...

Point me to at least one post that wasnt about muds or stuff ? (yes,socks,I saw it,thanks,anything else in three days ? or in a week ?)
Everyone's quiet ?
Then why by the hell you keep flaming and flaming and flaming some more ?
Cant stop ?
Guys,I think you're REALLY wrong here..
Shao_Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 03:02 PM   #60
LikitaRenn
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: portland, oregon, usa
Posts: 138
LikitaRenn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to LikitaRenn Send a message via AIM to LikitaRenn Send a message via MSN to LikitaRenn
Post

i would sumbit a socks poll to my newspaper... hehe, as a matter of fact, that's a good idea!

-likita
LikitaRenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Style based on a design by Essilor
Copyright Top Mud Sites.com 2014