Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 10-01-2002, 02:29 PM   #1
Muerte

Muerte is on a distinguished road
Arrow

After a few other forum threads, I'm trying to get a round about idea of peoples ideas on permadeath. This includes negatives, benefits, ideals and the like.

Right now the pointers we're going by is this:

1) PK will be "open" after 1st level and 25 hours logged.

2) Leveling is slow and hard (twink block)

3) If you do PK someone there are consequences.

4) There is resurrection, reincarnation, raising the dead.

5) 1st level characters won't DIE permanantly.

6) 2-5 level Have a number of free deaths = to thier constitution.

7) When you die, and are brought back by any means, you lose 1 FULL level.

8) If you are back to first level, due to deaths, and die and are brought back, you lose 1 point of constitution permanently. (So yes, a 1st level player CAN permadeath, but only if he's been past first level).

9) 5 level gap of PK, need to be within 5 levels of eachother.

I think that sums up the total of information we've been working on lately over the postings and ideas from the other boards.

What's your input?
Muerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 03:08 PM   #2
Alexei

Alexei is on a distinguished road
TopMudSites.

Last edited by Alexei : 11-17-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 02:42 AM   #3
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
I tend to agree with Alexei, that doesn't sound like permdeath to me. It really sounds like "If you die it's gonna suck, so we suggest you don't do it very often."

One thing you didn't touch on, and I'm curious about, is what happens after level 5? Or, does your mud only have 5 levels and it's hard to level? I'm taking a stab that after level 5 it is true perm death.

My personal feelings after reading your list of objectives is that is sounds good to have harsh penalties for dying, but I'm not big on the open pk idea. By having open pk you are keeping a lot of people who don't want to participate in pk off your mud. Perhaps the ability to choose to pk after 25 hours would be something to consider, that way people who don't want to pk, or wh oaren't sure can enjoy the mud as well.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 11:21 AM   #4
Muerte

After 5th level, or after you used all your FREE deaths between 2-5th, you lose a level every time you die, until you're first, then if you die on first it drops constitution every time.

I may adjust this to the old rules, of losing a con everytime you are brought back instead of a level or both. Because you are right about it not really being permadeath.  The old rules, you are permanently dead once your con is down to 0. You are permanently dead.

The open PK, is something they will just have to deal with. I'm making a D&D Mud, and death happens, people will kill people, etc.  It'll keep the non-pk RPer's away, or it will make them more flexible.  I want life to mean something, and if you can chose not to PK, you can basically chose not to die. and that makes life meaningless like every other mud.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:32 AM   #5
Muerte

Old 10-06-2002, 12:01 PM   #6
CSmith_Fan

CSmith_Fan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CSmith_Fan
CSmith_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:43 PM   #7
Muerte

Thumbs up

Well the spells are high level, and will require some work, and be draining to the caster. There is no longer a chance of failure. I may look into it after it is being used to see if it's abused or not.  Most high level people won't just walk around and res anyone, specially those of conflicting faiths, religions, alignments, races, etc.

Zombies are an NPC, and it'll be possible to raise the dead of a PC corpse and make it an NPC. If this is done, the person can't be raise dead, because teh body is now animated. It can however be res'd because that gives a new body, or reincarnated, for the same reason.

Unfortunately this mud is more geared towards the "good" RPer. Although it'll be somewhat newbie friendly, i'm gearing more towards hardcore players.

The url and stuff is in my signature, it'll be a while before i formally open. Staff problems, and time and stuff. I want it to be fully functional before opening (i'll be opening as pure RP while we develope the combat stuff, this will make people able to build up as a commoner and learn the workings of the mud before adventuring starts).

That's kinda funny, but I agree with you not knowing things lik ethat. One mud i play'd POKE was a social until you got the skill, then it was an attack that caused blindness.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:49 PM   #8
Muerte

Talking

Ok, to clear things up from the other posts I have made. These are the D&D rules on death/life.

Raise Dead - 5th level cleric spell - Up to 1 day per level of the caster. Requires whole body and anything missing will be missing on live person (This was stated by someone)

Reincarnation - 4th level druid spell - Up to 1 week. Change form so lose old racial changes and gain new ones. If form is that of an animal it is considered a magical beats, and can communicate/talk BUT if it's a creature without hands and it was a mage it can't cast spells that require hands. A WISH may restore you to normal body.

Resurrection - 7th level cleric spell - Up to 10 years per level of the caster. DOES require a SMALL part of the body, even a hair can be used for resurrection.

For all of the above (by 3ed rules). You do only lose a level of exp, unless you are first level. Then you lose 1 point of constitution permanently (I was wrong about this before). Also, the soul (character) has to approve to be restored by the caster or not (could be conflict of deity).

So virtually if you can afford it, you can live for quite a long time. As you odn't lose constitution unless you're dropped all the way down. <==== This i have to look into, maybe go with the old "lose a con every res" rule.

Permadeath - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you prefer permadeath in a RP MUD? OnyxFlame Tavern of the Blue Hand 39 10-06-2003 12:44 AM
Permadeath Fifi Roleplaying and Storytelling 6 05-08-2003 02:12 PM
permadeath Tamsyn@zebedee.org Roleplaying and Storytelling 0 05-08-2003 08:13 AM