Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 02-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
Aardwolf

Aardwolf is on a distinguished road
Just curious, what kind of affect has the release of World of Warcraft had on the mud you admin/play? We've seen around a 10% drop in numbers, but some of the earlier players of WoW have started to return saying that it lacks longevity and depth. Then again, some others have said they'll probably never mud again.
Aardwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Lithis Reistrate

Lithis Reistrate is on a distinguished road
Interestingly enough, I've just recently made the connection. The drop is certainly there, but like you've said, many are coming back for the RP that you simply cannot get in a graphical MMORPG.
Lithis Reistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
You can get roleplaying in a graphical MUD/MMORPG, just not one that's trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Check out Underlight for instance.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I myself am probably one of the last living humans to have not played World of Warcraft. Everybody says it's really great, but I just don't have the money to play it.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
Lithis Reistrate

Lithis Reistrate is on a distinguished road
You're right. I was speaking on MMOs as a whole, though. Certainly there must be exceptions, but I cannot imagine an RP Graphical world as functional and brilliantly done as a text-based MUD. My judgment was based on the Graphicals I've played and the ones I've taken a look at.
Lithis Reistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:22 PM   #6
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Graphics and graphical interfaces just aren't there yet in terms of equaling text MUDs for the kinds of things most of us like text MUDs for. As the saying goes, "Try bowing ironically in a graphical MUD." (Easy to do in text of course.)

Equaling the sort of feature range text MUDs can have just in terms of emotes would be prohibitively expensive in graphics, which is good news for all of us. =)

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:25 AM   #7
Ingham

Feh, WoW is bollocks anyways. Whoever made that MMORPG? Disney? It looks like some dumb Nintendo game aimed a 12 year olds instead of a serious MMORPG.

Too many colors, too much hype, not enough RPG.

But those of you who want to play it, just wait a while for some private server to come available. I've finally found myself a good private Lineage 2 server. Best thing ever. It looks good, the players are nice, PK is allowed and the admin actually know what he's doing. In short, everything my old MUD wasn't, heh.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Ingham, by "private server" I assume you mean a pirated/illegal server?

Don't you think it is morally reprehensible to play, and encourage others to play, on such a blatantly illegal server? There certainly is no room to debate the possible ethics of such a thing. If it is a pirate server of a commercial MMORPG, it is definitely using stolen IP.

As for RP in MMORPGs:

I think one of the bigger interface problems is the fact that it requires an activation command (usually the enter key) to go into chat mode. If for some reason you hit enter twice or the first enter press is not registered (lag or whatnot) then your attempts to chat cause 15 windows to pop up as your speaking is translated into keyboard commands.

In a MUD, you are always right there at the command line and it is MUCH easier to communicate.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote

World of Warcraft - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A World of Fun Aidan_RoD Advertising for Players 0 04-10-2007 12:07 PM
World Size prof1515 MUD Administration 0 07-21-2005 01:58 AM
The World is Yours, What will you do with it? Haley Advertising for Players 0 01-04-2005 07:40 PM
The Broken World mikosevaar Advertising for Players 0 05-30-2004 12:01 PM
The "world" of your MUD Taniquetil MUD Builders and Areas 2 03-01-2003 03:08 PM