Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 03-03-2003, 08:50 AM   #1
Taniquetil

Taniquetil is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Taniquetil
Unhappy

Been looking around the net for some serious pages containing lots of info about middle age fashion and design when it comes to cloths. I have basic knowledge, but looking for something more advance. Tired finding all these crappy pages with 1 page text and two pictures.

Anyone have some good links they would like to share?
Mostly looking for early m.e to high m.e period. Nothing renes (i hate that word) or late m.e.

Thanks for reading.
Taniquetil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 10:31 AM   #2
kaylus1

[Edited out me spewing random iilliteracies]
Anyways, there are a few good books you can pick up at your local Barnes and Noble.

One notable book is "Dress in Anglo-Saxon England" by Gale R. Owen. It is decently written and seperates male and female, further seperating by era.

I, like you, found nothing of much substance on the web. But I did do a search for the aforementioned book and author and came up with page that may or may not be useful:

It's not much compared to owning a book, but it may be enough to get you through, although I didn't see alot concerning dress of the poor.

When you get there (the pictures are worthless) Click on clothing and scroll down, it has Men and Woman costume, seperated by Pagan / Christian, with a few pages on each.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
Crystal

Name: Crystal
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Crystal is on a distinguished road
Lots of different Medieval Clothing links here.

Has a few options, not to mention weaponry.
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 01:59 PM   #4
Tzven

Tzven is on a distinguished road
has alot of links to various pages on the middle ages. Very useful if you're too lazy to check every 1,000,000,000 pages that google finds.
Tzven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 06:57 PM   #5
Fuzzy Ewok

Fuzzy Ewok is on a distinguished road
Don't forget that old, musty place called the library. The Internet is all fine and good, but remember, nearly all of that knowledge base comes from, in one form or another, written works. I find, for serious research, the library is far more rewarding than the Internet.
Fuzzy Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 12:38 AM   #6
CSmith_Fan

CSmith_Fan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CSmith_Fan
Well, I was going to say -

but I see you didnt want the Renaissance period THOUGH, they do have books cover the Middle Ages including society and clothing, as well as the ME period here :

(scattered across the page..sorry. but at least 9 books that cover MA and MEperiods)
Also there are some other pages there that cover the times frames your're looking for.

Hope it helps
CSmith_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 05:35 AM   #7
Serpentia

Serpentia is on a distinguished road
store.museumreplicas.com/cgi-bin/www11650.storefront

Clothing and some weapons... not really much on the clothing really, but has pictures and descriptions. Really nice replica weapons though. *grins*

Ah, yes... just plain might have some pictures, too.
Serpentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:42 PM   #8
enigma@zebedee

enigma@zebedee is on a distinguished road
Hmm, try Live Role Playing costume making guides.

They are fantasy rather than straight medieval - but most of it is based on medeival and they explain how to actually make the stuff.
enigma@zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 12:13 AM   #9
Ogma

Home MUD: DartMUD
Ogma is on a distinguished road
Costume 1066-1966 by John Peacock
Thames and Hudson, Ltd. London
ISBN 0-500-27404-5

This is a decent reference for English costume from the battle of Hastings up to 1966. It is broken down by reign (William the Conqueror - Elizabeth II) and is page after page of illustrations, containing several sketches for both men and women's styles for each reign. Obviously this covers far beyond the Early Middle Ages and High Middle ages that you requested. The sketches aren't super detailed, but it gives you a really good idea of the fashion of the clothing.
Ogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:21 AM   #10
Taniquetil

Taniquetil is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Taniquetil
Arrow

Taniquetil is offline   Reply With Quote

Medieval clothing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for realistic Medieval MUD Ilkidarios Advertising for Players 18 06-06-2006 09:15 PM
Medieval Times looking for a coder! SirTank Advertising for Staff 0 11-09-2005 08:14 PM
World of Medieval & Future Earth gamemaster Advertising for Players 1 03-22-2004 07:48 PM
Realistic Medieval MUD Taniquetil Advertising for Staff 6 02-28-2003 09:54 AM
In-depth Medieval Fantasy Roleplay thelenian Advertising for Players 5 07-25-2002 04:44 AM