Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
PorkWing

PorkWing is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Recruit me!

Hey there,

After leaving the MUD scene a few years ago, I have been wanting to scratch that itch that has been calling me back to them. I played MUME quite a bit and dabbled a bit in Shattered Kingdoms. But I am looking for something in particular to rebirth my creative expressions

-Character Approval
I honestly prefer this style of MUD. It not only shows that each character has had to have some thought put into them, but that the moderators of the MUD want to host a higher degree of players.

-Enforced RP
I like the enforcement of RP. I want to build a story through my characters experiences with the world and interactions with those living in it, who are also building their own story. The more in depth (politics, player run clans, religions etc) the better.

-Multiple classes/level up
I do like to select from a list of classes and I do like to level a character up. Sometimes I am not in the mood to RP hours into the night and want to run around and just hack'n'slash mobs up. Having a fleshed out class system with attainable skills, equipment, etc is also a must. Gives you something to do after a hard day at work when I don't want to go through a 4 hour RP session.

-Player Killing
Either or. If it has it, great. If not, great. I'll adapt to whichever.

-Active
Please be an active MUD. The same 3 players on every night is not active. Sorry.

-Theme
I'm open for suggestion here. I've played the medieval theme quite a bit, but I am all for trying new things on my quest to rejuvenate my mud life. I wouldn't mind trying a post-apoc theme, maybe like a Dune theme, sci-fi, etc doesn't bother me. Just be something interesting.

Let's hear those ads! Thanks!

PorkWing
PorkWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: Recruit me!

I am sure you will get heaps of posts here, but I won't let that deter me!

Threshold fits every single one of your pre-requisites. Character approval, enforced RP (with extremely developed religions, a very robust clan system, and more politics than you can shake a back blood stained dagger at), classes, levels, and a very active userbase. The theme is high fantasy/medieval, and all that various trappings that come with that.

Threshold has also been in operation for 13 years so the game world itself has an enormous amount of player created history.

Perhaps most important, the existing players are extremely interested in attracting new players. We have a shared philosophy that new players bring new, original ideas and character concepts. Without new players, the community would wither and die.

For more details:

Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
PorkWing

PorkWing is on a distinguished road

Will definently give it a look.
PorkWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Wik

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Wik is on a distinguished road

If you're willing to focus your off-rp hours on crafting level building rather than character level building, OtherSpace might be an interesting change of pace for you. It's an original-theme Space Opera with a strong character approval system requiring an approved bio and character desc, strongly enforced RP, an insanely broad number of professions, has limited PK (as in RL, if you kill someone in a policed area, you have a good chance of going to jail for 10 years to life, or in the case of the current IC situation, absorbed by a living space station), and has 20-40 characters on any given night. As mentioned earlier, our form of mindless grinding comes in the form of crafting, creating different quality levels of objects to be sold to other players, NPCs, or used yourself. As you craft more items, your ability level in crafting rises. Skill level increases in OtherSpace are actually tied to roleplaying, rather than hack and slash. If it sounds interesting, check out .
Wik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Not sure if you have been by New Worlds Ateraan, but I will give you a breakdown on your requests:

-Character Approval
Characters aren't approved via email as anyone can create a bogus email account and the time delay to get started can be detrimental. Instead, you are approved in game through roleplay devices as you get to know the layout and scene of the game. Most players have stated that our system of creation is the fastest and best laid out to get you right into roleplay. Plus we have staff and guides to assist along the way. Check it out and please let us know what you think.

-Enforced RP
Damn right. We enforce RP and have severe depth of character, religion, clans, politics, underground, making the game both deadly and enjoyable on an adventure and social scale.

-Multiple classes/level up
Whether you want to RP, or relax, or fish, or sail a ship, or go crabbing, or develop some outlandish clothing, or kill everything in sight. Well, that's up to you. The beauty of NWA is that it has all these options with notably different classes and skills, races, and options to allow you to find your nitch, but not so diverse as to be unroleplayable. The idea, for example, is that you can be a merchant and not fight but perhaps lead a caravan or be a fighter and guard that caravan or adventure. The options are yours. Check out the various guilds, politics, religions, and races online at

-Player Killing
Yes. But roleplay must be part of the reasons. We shy away from immature pk without cause.

-Active
We range from 50 to 100 players constantly.

-Theme
Our theme is robust as it is based on a unique book called Light of the Path, which you can read online at our website for a rich background of the game. It is medieval fantasy, definately interesting as the religions and politics are fleshed out and unique.

As for other games. I would also recommend those that have posted here. Notably for their robust religious theme and large world and activity. for their unique Space Opera them. And for a smaller playerbase but very unique theme, 4Dimensions at

Good Luck in your search!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Telelion

Telelion is on a distinguished road

You might want to look at Avendar (). We do not mandate pre-approval for characters, but we do have an account system under which well-established players are given more freedom to devise different roles, such as extra races or traits. RP is strictly enforced, with all characters required to have a background by mid-level. Class selection is interesting, with each magical element ("sphere") associated with three levels of power, ranging from simple cantrip-type spells all the way through summoning greater demons. For the less magically inclined player, we have numerous different warrior classes as well, each with a unique menu of skills, including a templar for each magical sphere. Alchemists, psionicists, and bards round out the class list. All races are fully original with well-developed IC lore describing them. Playerkilling is limited to characters within a certain level range of one another, but this obstacle pretty much disappears at the top levels. Activity runs between 6 and 20 players. The theme is medieval fantasy, and there is a lot of pretty awesome lore scattered around. We're having a Hero Day this Saturday; it would be a great chance to try out some classes and explore the playerkilling.
Telelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
locke
Banned

Home MUD: nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm always looking for people who want to help revive The Isles MUD. Come visit sometime soon.. nimud.divineright.org 5333
locke is offline   Reply With Quote