Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > MUD Announcements
Click here to Register

Old 08-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
In case anyone's interested, check out this link for .

It's an announcement for a conference on Synthetic Worlds and Academic Research being put on by Professor Edward Castronova at Indiana University. It's kind of an interesting format for a conference (though they're calling it a "Ludium"). Basically, they invited about 40 experts split into three areas: Game design and development (the group I'm in), scholars, and representatives from large-scale funding/government organizations. The invitee list is here:

Although I don't fully understand the format yet, apparently what's going to be happening is that we'll be broken up into groups for 2 days to play some sort of face to face 'game' that is apparently going to help us pinpoint the best ways to use virtual worlds to assist academic research and then present the results to the limited set of observers who can go. (I've quoted something from the conference materials below, though it's not a whole lot clearer.)

Within a thematic, live action game, groups with representation from the core constituencies of academia, game development, and business/government/foundations will play for 36 hours (Thursday evening through Saturday morning); simultaneously - and by design - addressing the very real issues now facing the community of MMORPG scholars and builders: how best to integrate the technology of synthetic worlds into the academic research paradigm. Saturday, teams will present these ideas to the conference, where a panel of judges will offer feedback, recognition, and prizes for certain achievements. Collectively, the portfolio of research projects will form a paradigm for synthetic world research, identifying topics and methods with highest probability of producing beneficial results. After the conference, the portfolio will be formed into a report and distributed to all participants. Under the ludic structure of the conference, these sound deliberations will not only teach us all much that we need to know, but it will also earn renown, treasures, and fun for all involved.

If you are interested, there's very limited space to sign up as an observer, and the cost isn't small:

It's going to be a pretty unique event for anyone interested in virtual worlds and their future. If you live in or near Indiana, you might consider going as an observer though I can't provide any guarantee this won't be a total waste of your (and my) time.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote