Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 05-25-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Many games offer weather systems, changing times of day, seasons. How intensively do you incorporate information from those features in your poses? Or do you ever really pay attention to such things?
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Yev

I usually try and incorporate information from the time of day into my roleplaying, which means I can find convenient reasons to be somewhere at 3 PM local time ICly. Weather is also nice and provides fodder, but most of the time I'm fine with providing my own if I'm outside and nothing is specified.

If I'm inside and my character is watching TV or something, time might determine what's on. Either news, primetime programming or whatever it is.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
Lisaera

Lisaera is on a distinguished road
I must admit that as a player I never paid a great deal of attention to what time of day it was or what season it was, and though I did RP regarding the weather sometimes, it was occasional. While I think these features are cool, I've always been more concerned with interacting with other players rather than the environment I'm in. Of course, I have known people to base their entire character upon the external world effects, and admired their success, so I think it's personal preference.

In our game we have tried to force a certain amount of awareness of these things using coded systems, such as plant growth needed for curatives changing in the times of year, certain abilities needing it to be day or night to be used, and phases of the moon affecting major quests. However, these things are mainly only felt by the "nature" communities, the forest commune organisations and their guilds, not so much by the cities. Though I suppose this could be argued as realistic, those in cities don't worry so much about seasons and such as those in rural areas.
Lisaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Brody
Legend

Smile

Anyone else with thoughts on this topic?
Old 05-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
kalaazar

kalaazar is on a distinguished road
I always pay attention to what time it is. That way whenever entering a scene, I know where my char is coming from. What she just did, and what she plans to do. Mind you those times when it's the middle of the night and everyone is just hanging out, you just kindof ignore it, but otherwise I think it's important.

As is weather. One time, I was traveling with this guy and we had just walked outside and he looked around with distaste and adjusted his hat. My char turns to him quite puzzled and he just points to the sky. Dorky me, only -then- types weather.
So I think it's a must to keep track of if you are outside.
kalaazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
Brody
Legend

Smile

/bump for further discussion.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
Greenstorm

Greenstorm is on a distinguished road
Like Kalaazar said, if there is a weather system and you don't pay attention to it, it can be embarassing. If I'm just coming into a scene, and someone else is already there, I tend to make sure they're not doing anything that contradicts the current weather or time -- I'm not here to come in and point fingers and say, ha ha you don't listen to the weather system. If I'm the one being walked in on, I'll definitely put noteworthy weather bits in my pose.

And, definitely, weather adds to the range of things there are to RP. A lightning storm and sunny day both give their reasons for people to interact, to be in a certain mood, and having things like that in the world add depth to the char too.

Especially in public places, the time of day is an important feature. It helps me to figure out how busy it is, etc.
Greenstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #8
Nutai

Nutai is on a distinguished road
I've played as a character who was a little off, always commenting on how lovely the day was whenever it was pouring outside. You could tell who was paying attention to the weather by who started slowly inching away from him.
Nutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #9
Brody
Legend

Smile

/bump for further discussion
Old 07-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #10
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
I try to pay attention to the weather, but the weather should have to pay attention to me! It will often start snowing or raining when I have none of the proper gear for it so in order to properly role-play, I would have to freeze or die or something along those lines.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #11
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
In the game I play, the weather and position of the sun and moons plays an integral part in character life. A hunter for example wouldn't start out on a trek in the wilderness during a sandstorm at night. Some mages might find the sun to be a detriment to their casting ability, others might learn that darkness poses a problem for them, even if the moons are out.

Sandstorms cause your clothing to be covered with dust, which could get you tossed out of the better taverns if you don't brush yourself off before entering. They can also cause you to lose your way, and this could result in an untimely death - if you happen to walk into something hungry.

So yes, I (and most players of the game) definitely take the weather and time of day into consideration and use it in our roleplaying.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:27 AM   #12
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Immersion and environment - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help create a beautiful RP environment! Jorana Advertising for Staff 0 03-18-2004 04:20 PM
RP environment with realistic-medieval theme Taniquetil Advertising for Staff 0 03-27-2003 04:38 AM
Advanced Interactive Mudding Environment donalban MUD Coding 0 05-30-2002 10:58 AM