Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Violette

Why is Evarayn closing?

It seems like a great mud, but on their <new?> wiki, it says they're closing their doors:
Does anyone know why?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: Why is Evarayn closing?

It says it will be closing June 29, 2008. That's over 4 months ago.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about

I would guess low usage. It's a shame since I had a lot of fun when I played.

Granted, I didn't do so hot after I left the newbie island. Hehe.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Violette

very sad it prompted me to start a thread on TMC asking how do admins know when to let go. it must be a very difficult decision to make... and I'm sure there is a period of grief following the shutdown, too...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Milawe

The shut down of any game is pretty tough on the admins as well as the players.

When Mythic closed down all their text muds when the started working on WAR, I know a lot of players were very upset even though they'd moved on to many of Mythic's graphical games. Even with the closing of Acheron's Call 2, the remaining users gathered for a final good bye under a tree within the game.

I'm not sure what makes someone throw the hat in, but it happens even with commerical games. (I'm assuming commerical games do it when it starts to become unprofitable.) Sad, but unfortunately, not uncommon.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Shut 'er down Scotty, she don't 'ave da power

When to shut down and quit? Depends.

Non-Commercial MUD: When it just isn't fun anymore or when you want to move on to other avenues of interest.

Commercial MUD: When you've reached diminishing returns and it doesn't look hopeful to turn the avenue of profit around.

Is it sad? Probably, for the 100's of players that enjoyed the game. Is it nastalgic? More than sad, I'd venture. Nothing lasts forever. NW won't last forever, at least with the current Administration. When it becomes more work than fun or isn't profitable I have no problem turning over the wheel or closing the door and pointing the players to another game I think would serve them.

I think it a bad idea to hang onto something that is failing unless it has promise of turning around or there is a strong reason for it. You can have 5 players on a MUD and it is still worth it, if those five players enjoy and support it.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Rylan

Rylan is on a distinguished road

I asked this question many times myself. For I was a regular there on Evarayn before its closing. It was an amazing MUD and I"m STILL trying to find one to replace it with. I don't think I ever will find one that will be what Evarayn was.

It was partly not enough people, but also from what I understood the administrators were low on funds the last few months of the closing. They switched servers for awhile and then since things just didn't pick up at all.. I think the just decided to end it. It was so sad

It was really sad through October for us regulars there because Eva had a "Pumpkin Festival" during halloween with a lot of special events that were really fun!! I miss that MUD... **sigh**
Rylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Milawe

Sorry to hear that, Rylan.

Good luck in finding a new home. It'll never be like the one you loved originally, but maybe you'll find a one to occupy a different section of your heart.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
Violette

Rylan, does Erandia () resemble Evarayn?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
Milawe

Hmm. I don't think so.

One of the biggest selling point for me for Evarayn was its ansi world map. (I still managed to get lost, but that's typical of me.) I don't see that as one of Erandia's selling points.

It looks interesting, though, so I might go check it out when I have time.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #11
androo002345

androo002345 is on a distinguished road

Evarayn was the MUD that I played most before my real life got in the way of mudding. After I found the time to MUD again it was announce that they were closing.

There were a couple of reasons it was taken offline. Very small player base. When the game first started out there would be a constant 30+ users playing, with about 50-70 at peak times. In the last few months you were lucky to log in and see 5-10.

Of those 5-10 people the majority of the time would be spent idling or doing lord-knows what.

There seemed to be a lot of complaints from the players about lack of things to do in the game. I'm sure the admins didn't like this because there was really a lot of stuff to do, imo, plus they were paying for the server each month + the hours put in to improve the game.

I put in several thousand hours and I always enjoyed my time there. When everyone IRL were nowhere to be found that game was there for me. It was a shame to see it shut down but I can understand why it was done. I was actually surprised to see that it stayed open for as long as it did.

Since its close I have not played past the "tutorial" section of any mud. I'm looking for a replacement as well.

But those are a couple of reasons why it was closed.
androo002345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
Milawe

Sorry to hear that.

I was on the newbie island loving the crabs, honestly. Then I got to the woods trying to get to the city and was lost. Really suck at getting around.