Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 AM   #21
Aerick

Re: Idle exp

Ok....maybe it's just me. Idle exp? Exp just for logging in? Since when can you gain a skill/spell percentage raise if you are not actively using it?

Maybe it's simply that I was never interested in games where if you show up you get an award.

Idle exp to keep players?

If you want to keep players, and bring in new ones, then actively keep playing the game yourself. I still keep playing the game, joining Clans, roleplaying with people either live or through notes. I believe that if you have to reward people by giving out idle exp or exp boosts, you might as well stop playing.

Of course, I've been playing the same group of muds for eleven years and haven't branched out. Maybe I'm just behind the times and no one told me that muds are doing this now to retain players.

Are there muds out there that use this system in such a way that it is balanced between your hardcore levelers/roleplayers and those who are weekend warriors? With the way my work schedule is changing daily, perhaps I need to find a game where I can level up and not even have to do anything.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 AM   #22
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

What was your character's name, I'm curious exactly where you started and where you are getting your information.This is a completely false statement. There is no such method.I'm not sure why. Idling is not encouraged or rewarded. I've spoken about this earlier in the thread how the system works. People stay on the game for two reasons: One they enjoy it and two they don't want to miss events that you won't see if you aren't online. Idlers get removed after a certain amount of time and roleplay bonuses are only helpful to those that are active. No one ever got ahead from miniscule roleplay bonuses from someone idle. If you do not roleplay actively you will never gain social, political, or personal strength. You really can't play a game once a week and expect to even keep up with the roleplay that is going on.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #23
Kereth

Home MUD: www.retromud.org
Kereth is on a distinguished road

Okay, in Sasca's defense, I've played NW too, during and after the beta, and I encountered similar issues (Can't comment on the advancing thing in the South, 'cuz I never played that side). Now, maybe Sasca had the same situation I did, logging in during a low traffic time zone, but when the mud would reboot, it'd take several hours before the population got back over 60% or so, and most of that was in the first few seconds, with people who had autoreconnects set on their client. It was a bit tricky to find people awake and doing stuff sometimes, but then again, I was playing on European time, and I suspect most the players were from the States, so they might all have been sleeping and the game was probably much more lively the rest of the day.

I also never got kicked out for being idle too long. Is that a new feature? I previously idled overnight, sometimes over 24 hours, without ever getting booted, nor did it ever affect the counter to my next roleplay bonus, whether I was awake and at the keyboard or not. The amount of the bonus was also pretty transparently calculated from the character level, without regards to how much time was spent idle. People spent a lot of time sleeping. I did too, at times. You could go into the immigrants' and typically find at least one out in the general area and then several more napping in the serf lounge. The sleeping quarters in the main guilds were more crowded. Again, take my time zone into account here.

Now, this isn't totally a bad thing, from my perspective. Your character does have to sleep sometimes, and with the way people are at each other's throats so much in that game, you've got to provide away for people to murder one another in their sleep. If you're away and inattentive, you're sleeping, and your character acts accordingly, similarly people are mostly resigning their idle time to sleeping quarters, with a flag to say they're asleep, which reaffirms the sentiment, unlike if they were sleeping in the street or at the pub. Where it got sketchy was just for some characters who, while not roleplaying as lazy slackers, spent far over 8 hours a day idle (understandable from out-of-game circumstances, of course), and when people would often address possibly-sleeping others with questions like "Are you aware?" which was a sloppy coverup for "Are you unidle?" (It's -possible- that those people just kept typoing "awake" too me rather often, but after hearing that question so many times. . .)

The game as a whole? Not too bad, if a little on the quiet side during my hours, but I liked it mostly for the community (in a "plenty of people to roleplay with" sense, not that they were necessarily exceptional roleplayers or nice people), not the game mechanics or world, which I found a little dry. Would I play again? Yeah, I might go back someday, if the urge takes me. Roleplay is fun, wherever you do it.

But in summary, Sasca's comments seem a fairly accurate reflection of the game as I saw it, though perhaps showing those facets as more significant deal breakers than I did. If the bonuses given by NewWorlds no longer qualify as idle exp, it's probably been due to fairly recent mods. It has been almost a year since I played there last, after all.
Kereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #24
AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide is on a distinguished road

I play NWA now. It's pretty much the only place I play. With that being said I know that what Sasca said is true. A slave has to serve somewhere around 150 hours logged in before a master can release them. When her slave was there she was actively RP'ing. She just chose not to 'sleep' logged in. While that is something that I do I respect her choice on that and I think there should be a way for a character to not be penalized for that. She played prewipe and postwipe and now isn't playing at all. It's a shame as she has much to offer.
AlongForTheRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #25
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I'm guessing then that Sasca was the name? I have no idea who that was or how long they played, but there are always ways around everything you just have to find them. Unfortunately the south is very tough but it is for hard core roleplayers.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote