Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Otviss

Otviss is on a distinguished road
Question Abstract MUD?

Hello TMS, this is my first post on this forum, but the following text has been posted on and on .
The reason why i am posting this on several forums is to raise the awareness of this particular issue.

Hello

So, I have been playing MUDs for 3-4 years now. Ive played MUDs including : Armageddon, Ateraan, Achaea, Threshold etc.(All the big names)
and ive also played some of the lesser known for experimenting purposes and thanks to my curiousity.
One which is "Coffee MUD" which i found VERY interesting and enjoyable. Though, it was only me online (All the time).

Anyway, what ive played isnt so important really.

I woke up this morning with an idea, which might seem crazy and unlogical for some, but to me very reasonable.

Not very long ago i played a few "Interactive Fictions" and stumbled upon a partiular one, which was very abstract in its story-telling. This has been the most intriguing way to play
text games for me. Since sometimes, logical paths to a goal, is too stupid and unsatisfying.

Perhaps, the reason why these type of game mechanics have not been converted to MUDs is because they "DONT WORK".
But I am still eager to know if this is true or not.

To make things clear again..
What i want to know is if an "Abstract" MUD is possible to script and design. I know what youre thinking. Why? Mudding is surely about immersive fantasy worlds and such?
But, if an abstract MUD existed im convinced that the player satisfaction would be much much higher than that of a popular and plain MUD.
So to make things even clearer.
Even this post is slightly abstract, But maybe it is meant to be. Maybe you abstract thinkers out there can make something out of this mess and understand my important message.
With enough feedback i could explain how this is beneficial to the MUD culture and future MUDs.

Further notes : I have indeed received enough feedback to support my idea. That means that i am as im typing this, in progress of designing and making a mind map of a MUD concept.
When finished i will publish it on the forums together with personal notes of course.

I would love if you could (even if its only a sentance or so) reply to this thread and share your thoughts.

Last edited by Otviss : 11-04-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Otviss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Freela

Freela is on a distinguished road
Re: Abstract MUD?

Could you elaborate on what an abstract mud is?
Freela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #3
ForgottenMUD

Home MUD: ForgottenMUD
Home MUD: Bedlam
ForgottenMUD is on a distinguished road

He had explained in the other thread.

ForgottenMUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Otviss

Otviss is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that. With 37000 views i am still waiting for emails. Or at least someone contacting me about their interest.

Last edited by Otviss : 01-21-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Otviss is offline   Reply With Quote