Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 11-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: Netbooks - Serious Potential for MUDs?

60% of our playerbase is blind, and we have one blind and one visually impaired builder. The blind builder is a section lead.

Part of our blind playerbase is a contingent of half a dozen blind players from the UAE. Their english has improved dramatically in the last year.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #22
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

If the Netbook can acess the Internet, then its a shoe in to use for Mudding. Because like the fore mentioned Smartphones, and even Blackberries, you can take Netbooks anywhere and play anywhere if you have the time and privacy.

Blind Players easily get by with Vocal Translation Programs, where what you say in the microphone is what's typed up on the screen. I'd like to look into this as Arthritis is now effecting my hands, especially in the mornings, making typing something of a challange.

So it should be interesting to see how all of this pans out.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #23
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hey Darren, we have a netbook players on the game and numerous that come from netbook websites to the game. As for blind players, an entire group is on our game and the game has features for them.

I'm guessing a netbook would work very well with you.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #24
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Well, if I can get one with large enought buttons, a well built protective carrying case (and a good warrenty--that's always a plus), and with little cost to Wi-Fi it to my internet account I'll get it.

I've been considering Mini Laptops as well for the same purpose.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #25
Newworlds
Legend

Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

You might go for the laptop instead. More features and at today's cost they are basically the same price as a netbook with much more power and ease of use.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #26
jeremystratton

jeremystratton is on a distinguished road

I'm a huge proponent of pushing MUDs to portable media.

There is so much advancement in Java, Android and HTML-5 that very slick interfaces could be made to facilitate ease of gameplay on a tablet or smartphone.

I think things need to change, for the better, but I think MUDs have a chance for a new and very vibrant life.
jeremystratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #27
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

I agree.

The blowtorch Android MUD client is amazing.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #28
jeremystratton

jeremystratton is on a distinguished road

Beau(who mentioned Threshold in a Massively.com article) and I talk once in awhile about MUDs, literacy and new, mobile tech.

Literacy is taking on a lot of new forms, and unlike the recent atmosphere in America, I feel literacy is actually up.

These new mobile devices already have developers creating and recreating those little choose your own adventure books and I saw one company marketing some kind of "living" book where it utilized multi-media(playing specific sound effects on certain pages, playing different visual graphics, etc...).

I'm also interested in this from a programming viewpoint, even though I'm not a programmer. I think much of spearheading a return to MUDs will be through interfaces.
jeremystratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Good stuff. He is a great proponent of MUDs as a viable game type which is rare among writers on the big gaming sites.

There's definitely some solid potential there.

I think phones are in general a pretty weak gaming platform, but they are a great supplementary platform.

This works great for MUD type gameplay.

You can play "for real" when you are at a PC (questing, combat, pvp, etc.).

But you can hang out and chat, do inventory or shop maintenance, etc. when playing from your phone.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #30
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

On account that this is necro, I wasn't going to reply, but:

Blind people, as a rule, do not use voice to text programs. These have their place, and I'm sure someone somewhere is blind and with no other issues and using one, but unless there's a reason, its just as difficult for us as it is for you, in terms of using those programs for things besides writing word documents. Blind people use text to speech programs, though that description doesn't do it justice as it does a lot more than that, which are completely the opposite.

Sorry, but this is something that really bothers me: half the people I talk to assume that I, even after I have said that I am a computer science major, can't type because I'm blind, and this is kind of a pet peeve of mine, and I couldn't stop myself from saying something...
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #31
Newworlds
Legend

I'm amazed that anyone would think that. Ignorance really. Blind players normally type quite well and fast. What intriques me more is how in the world you can understand the gibberish that comes from the text to voice readers at such high speeds. I'm not blind, but one of the staff at NWA was and I heard their screenreader once and it blew my mind.

And since I'm here I'll put in a plug for the client that is fully featured for game play and the preference for blind players who play on Ateraan.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #32
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road

And you just hit button two.

VIPMud is the same level of accessibility as mushclient, which is free. VIPMud does not support half of the protocols in existence, requires one to learn a scripting language that isn't used in anything else (as far as I know, I don't think it even has a name), and throws out windows design, i.e. it uses it's own custom wierd interface involving listboxes.

Get mushreader, I don't have a link but can find one, it's available through google if someone wants to search. There's a portable version: extract and click the mushclient executable, or you can get it as a plugin which works with a regular mushclient install if you copy some files to the right places. Also, let me take this time to counter-plug: mush-z is a great, great soundpack for alter aeon, and is pretty much the only soundpack I can stand: it is the only one that realized that, for a blind mudder, the soundpack needs to replace the messages, not be played over top of them, and should be providing information as well as flavour.

I think that VIPMud was the worst thing to happen to the blind mudding community. I think that VIPMud puts blind people in a box, as so many things do. I say that I'm blind, and everyone immediately assumes that I use VIPMud, because it's so clearly the only option.

VIPMud, which costs $30, gained momentum for a very simple reason: many blind people don't know how to use the computer, not really. I mean, some do, but, in my experience, it's like teaching the computer to your grandfather: "Copy this file." "What's a file?" Some blind people know how to use the computer for something beyond e-mail, I'd say more than I expect, but there's this issue with being able to translate go hit the OK button into something besides press tab 6 times and then enter, or so has been my experience.

I like some of GMA Game's stuff, but the better option would have been to write up instructions for getting mushclient working, not charge $30 for a client that's light-years behind.

VIPMud opened mudding up to people, but at the same time, well, not helping. I mean, if I'm using mushclient, which works just as well if you invest a little time to set it up, I can ask someone sighted for help via my mud of choice., etc. I think part of it is also that labelling something a programming language (lua, I'm looking at you) immediately makes it perceived to be hard to learn, which turns people off of the more powerful clients.

And, for the record, any mud client that can call an external dll via a trigger can be made, at least to some degree, to work with a screen reader. The three major screen readers in the US, Jaws, Window-eyes, and NVDA, all offer apis that programmers can use, and I believe dolphin (now renamed hal, or maybe it's the other way), which is more popular in europe, or so I've heard, may as well.

One of these days, I'm going to try to campaign to get speech added to core mushclient. It actually wouldn't be that hard to do, really, probably the work of a couple hours for someone who knows how to tell if a process is running with a given name: is the screen reader process running? good, which one? start sending speech. The plugin itself, in mushclient, if you disregard the standard xml hey-I-am-a-plugin stuff at the top is under 50 lines: initialization and everything. The more advanced version, also 50 lines, has a simple little bridging dll that gets called, which does the detection (I can't evaluate quality of that dll, unfortunately, as I can't read purebasic, not anymore, but it definitely works, so 5/5 until I hear of a bug in it).

It's like this: VIPMud is very, very simple. But VIPMud doesn't support half the protocols. In VIPMud, I can, for example, start playing an audio file. In mushclient, with a bit of work (or by grabbing a plugin), I can call into openal directly, for full 3d audio. Heck, if I wanted, I could output 5.1 surround sound from mushclient (I'm not sure what the point would be, but it's definitely possible). VIPMud, at last check (and I haven't heard of any updates since it came out), doesn't support mccp, mxp, any of those: I don't think it even supports the telnet negociations that a lot of muds use now for determining terminal size, but I could be wrong on that one.

So, I'm paying $30 to avoid learning a bit about my computer, for an inferior product, and that's how I look at it. I tried VIPMud once, but got the impression that the author never really played muds when writing it. And, I mean, I can't even think of a client for the sighted that's paid, not anymore, though I'm sure I can find one via google. The impression I got was that he saw it was a market that could be targeted, and targeted it without playing muds or reading these forums.

If someone can either (1) tell me how to post links or (2) point me at the documentation for this forum, which I'm obviously missing somehow, I'll post links for mush-z and mushreader.

Again, sorry, but to me that's worse than the "Blind people so obviously can't learn to type" one. I try not to be a troll, or start flamewars, or any of that, but VIPMud pushes my buttons, majorly, for the reasons above: let's all go buy something that's available for free, and the version we're going to buy can't do half the things the free version can be made to do. O, and by the way, only for the blind, forget getting help from someone else who plays the same game you do, because you bought the easy-to-set-up client that only blind people use.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #33
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough

You wrap links with url tags. They look like [url ] and [/url ] without the space before the closing bracket. You also can give an argument to the first url tag like [url=http://www.muds.com ] if you want to wrap a url title instead of a link.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote