Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 06-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
Centauri

Centauri is on a distinguished road
Android/phone Client

I would be interested to know what might be the current standing on phone based MUD clients, as I havent seen any myself. Are there java/eclipsed based? something else?

At least a MUD has the ability to readily take to a phone market, being the low bandwidth that they are.

thoughts?
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Android/phone Client

Iron Realms has an Android client.

the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #3
plamzi

Home MUD: bedlam.mudportal.com:9000
Home MUD: www.mudportal.com
plamzi is on a distinguished road

Bedlam has had an iOS GUI since late 2009, with some major graphical updates in 2013.

I also released a generic MUD client for iOS in 2010, which has been free for several years now.

Some relevant links in my signature.

Over the years, people have been occasionally asking if there are any plans for an Android client. I honestly would not attempt that--it's too much work, and everyone says the Android app store is near-impossible to monetize for indie developers.

Every now and then, people start threads like yours. In 2009, I believed there was an audience for deep mobile MMOs driven by MUD servers. But that was then. Right now, unless you attract investments and spend heavily on marketing, it's hard to even be noticed. There are literally hundreds of thousands of indie games, and thousands of big studio ones, all clamoring for attention. The chances of any indie game going viral seem slightly worse than winning the state lottery. And the chance for a smart and difficult game to go viral--even less.
plamzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Centauri

Centauri is on a distinguished road

Oh, ok, I was asking mostly just to know, not really for some big market thing. I dont expect my MUD to grow much more than it has in the last 6 months as it is. I understant that there is probably tons of apps of all sorts all out, and the noise level very high. If I remember correctly, writing for android involves java and eclipse, which is friend is working on now for a PC based client, and is almost bald from ripping his hair out dealing with certs and such.

Oh for the good old ncurses lib days
Centauri is offline   Reply With Quote