Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 10-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
potterhead4

potterhead4 is on a distinguished road
Well, here's an Idea I'veh ad for a MUSH for a long time now:

The MUSH would be based on the popular TV show MASH.

The way I see it working, there would be the main characters played by staffer or very experienced characters, and then any other character a player would like to invent.

Staffers would design miniplots that would be run for a week or so. These miniplots would be like the MASH episodes, and wounded players would be created by admin or guests to be operated on and then recover or die in post-op.

The way I see it, a day on the mush would follow a day in a MASH outfit. You wake up, you have breakfast, take a look at the duty chart. If you're on duty, you go RP being on duty. If you're not on duty, we'd have the officer's club, sports, cards, etc.

Of course, the majority of gameplay would be dictated by staff-run plots. And if there was a push on and a lot of wounded coming in, of course, the entire dynamic of the game could be changed. On the otherhand, there's a lot more stuff we could do than wounded. We could have a lack of wounded, family issues with a main character, pranks occuring in the camp, snipers, I mean, the situations are practically unlimited.

Obviously, this would be pretty small (no more than 500 rooms) and pretty simple to code. (We'd need econ, a very basic skills system with only a few different skills, and then just some games and simple stuff like microphone/speakers). The question, and the reason this is in advanced MUD concepts is really if someone thinks a game almost entirely based on staff-run plots could be successful and entertaining.

Thanks for your feedback,

Gabe
potterhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Yes, it probably could be, if that's all it aspires to be. There's no reason some games can't work this way. Not *all* theater, for example, is meant to be seen by everybody. Not all the shows can be The Producers - some have to be The Vagina Monologues. In much the same way, there's no reason you couldn't have a niche MUSH within the niche of MUSH gaming.

It all depends on your long-term goal for the game: Do you want to tell some fun MASH-inspired stories or build a popular game? If it's the former, I think you can do it with only staff-driven plots. But if you're aiming for popularity, you may need to develop other opportunities for amusement.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:30 PM   #3
potterhead4

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I think it would be more of a niche game. I mean, there are obvious limitations, those being first of all the size of a typical MASH unit, which at the time of the Korean war, was about 200 people. Now, I think it would be very achievable to have 200 PCs and then close the game to expansion...But I wonder if there would be a way to expand past that - maybe a second MASH unit, allied bases/R&R destinations in Tokyo and Soeul, even have characters play out the actual war and become a full-fledged war MUSH?

The thing is, once you get into the realm of armies and airplanes, it becomes a lot more complicated, and I'd rather stick to just a MASH unit, and maybe build the cities of Tokyo and Soeul...I dunno, what do you think?

Thanks,

-Gabe
Old 10-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #4
Angel Kenji

Angel Kenji is on a distinguished road
Angel Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
potterhead4

Johnny Mandel, duh!!

Anyhow, don't worry about the idea behind this game. It's definitely not finished or even close to decided.

That said, I was thinking about the comment I made about staffers being the main characters...I don't really like it, now that you mention it. However, I of course want dedicated characters who really know how to play the role and want to play the role.

But, the thing that the game offers is fun, trauma, excitement, and a place to relax. For instance, plots don't just effect the main characters! The lowest PC corporals still have to follow orders, dress up VIP tents, and complain about being a corporal! I mean, I think that if the staffers are smart enough, we can find a way to introduce plots for all characters.

Plus, even if you're not involved in a plot, there will still be lots of stuff to do off-duty, like get drunk at the officers club. You'll also always have some duty or another (kitchen, patrol, etc), so I think it'll keep characters busy.

In my opinion, the combination of off-duty activities, duties, and plots should make for an exciting game for all...but I do see your point, and maybe you have a reason why it would get boring?

-Gabe

Idea for a MUSH Based on MASH - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unique MUD idea? tehScarecrow Tavern of the Blue Hand 7 04-25-2006 03:55 PM
A silly licensing idea, just for fun. Burr Legal Issues 0 10-27-2004 10:53 PM
Crazy Idea Torren MUD Coding 2 02-25-2004 06:36 PM
New MUD Idea Letum Advanced MUD Concepts 17 01-01-2003 04:05 PM
NEW MUD IDEA FOR YOU! Ryunt Advertising for Staff 7 05-14-2002 11:59 PM