Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 05-16-2002, 07:31 PM   #1
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
Was wondering if anyone out there has done anything with their socket command (or anything similar) to work with MAC addresses, or has it configured some way to make multi-play tracking (for places which do not allow it) easier...

Email me or post something on here if you do...thanks
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 10:06 PM   #2
Yui Unifex

Yui Unifex is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Yui Unifex Send a message via AIM to Yui Unifex
Question

You wouldn't be able to do anything useful with the MAC address, because you're not guarunteed consistency unless you're on a local network.  It's also very easy to spoof (most unix systems can use "ifconfig hwaddr=new mac" to change it), unlike an IP.  There is (was) an interesting discussion about it on TMC .

As for multiplay tracking, I haven't implemented anything like this for muds, but I've found that these reports works pretty well for other adminstration areas: Log all IPs and/or hostnames to a database along with the user they logged in under.  Then simply cross-reference host and user with two reports.  These reports detail which hosts logged on as which user, and which users logged on as which host.  I have a summary of this output sent to an email address daily.

Probably the easiest way to prevent multiplaying is to simply check the existing connected addresses when a player connects.  Although that doesn't really stop proxy-users =).
Yui Unifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Burly socket modifications? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C++ socket code available Teelf MUD Announcements 2 06-23-2003 11:06 AM
Expanded socket/IP/NIC tracking anyone? Terloch MUD Coding 7 02-11-2003 03:12 PM