Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 03-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
melopene

melopene is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to melopene
A big -sigh- for SIGHUP, and nohup isn't working...

X-posted to TMC, because it's hard to tell which forums are active these days (I've been out of MUDding for at least 5 years now).

I found myself with a LOT of free time on my hands, and thought I'd boot up my mud code again, see how far I got, maybe tinker a bit. A friend who runs an ISP set me up with a shell account on his backhaul server, and amazingly I was able to compile the bastardized version of ROM/ROT/I don't even know what with just a few minor errors and boot the thing up.

So, here's the issue: SIGHUP. I continually get the following error thrown (when I run it in GDB):
Program received signal SIGHUP, Hangup.
0x00002aaaaafcd323 in __select_nocancel () from /lib64/libc.so.6

Yeah, I've tried running both the startup script and a manual boot using 'nohup', but no dice. I've found a few references to bits and pieces of code that can be added in to the executable, but seeing as how it's been five years since I've messed around with code at all (much less linux), I'm not starting out with that sans guidance.

Also, I understand this could potentially be related to a firewall issue, from some other reading, but am unsure how
to investigate.

Any suggestions, moving forward?
melopene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: A big -sigh- for SIGHUP, and nohup isn't working...

What do you mean when you say you 'continually' get a SIGHUP? Unless something is sending you that signal intentionally, you'd normally expect to receive it only on connection loss when running the server from the command line. Nohup will only intercept SIGHUP signals sent down the attached tty chain, so if the SIGHUP isn't coming from a console kill it won't be stopped by nohup.

Need more information.

-dentin
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
melopene

melopene is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to melopene
Re: A big -sigh- for SIGHUP, and nohup isn't working...

I mean it's happening regularly, every three minutes. I've since found out that this is actually a mail server that my friend has shell access through, so I'm now not all that surprised that's happening. Most likely, there is an automated process that kills everything on a regular interval. I'm going to give it another try on a different server and see if that clears the issue up.
melopene is offline   Reply With Quote