Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > Advanced MUD Concepts
Click here to Register

Old 08-17-2002, 01:27 PM   #1
Ingham

Old 08-18-2002, 08:36 PM   #2
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
That has usually been called a 'Mirror Match' and is interesting as a one time deal but that is about all.

The problem is that it is usually best to fight things you have a decient chance of defeating. Against youself you have only the human vs AI advantage which should be enough but not always.

Usually this sort of thing is part of a special quest, and most people do not desire a rematch once they have done it once.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 08:55 AM   #3
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:32 PM   #4
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
I imagine the best way to handle the problem with players unequipping, and re-equipping would be for the ai to find the best available weapon and armor and use it.

The only real problem is that unless you develop a decent ai the player is going to be able to defeat their reflection to easily, simply b/c they know their own weakness and the weakness of the mob engine.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:32 PM   #5
Ashon

Ashon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Ashon Send a message via AIM to Ashon Send a message via MSN to Ashon Send a message via Yahoo to Ashon
I imagine the best way to handle the problem with players unequipping, and re-equipping would be for the ai to find the best available weapon and armor and use it.

The only real problem is that unless you develop a decent ai the player is going to be able to defeat their reflection to easily, simply b/c they know their own weakness and the weakness of the mob engine.
Ashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:02 AM   #6
Warhead

I would imagine that, since this is the Advanced MUD Concepts forum, that anyone who actually implements such a feature will have a decent enough AI system to defeat simple PC work around tricks.

I would suggest that in creating the duplicate, the mirror automatically wears the best equipment the player has in inventory (to include containers).  What you decide is "best" is dependent on your game mechanics.  Some places value armor class over hitroll/damroll, other places do the opposite.  I also suggest that your mirror wield the weapon that has a) the best dice, or b) a decent race vulnerability exploiting damage type (i.e. if the player is a fire giant, and vulnerable to cold, and he has a cold damage weapon on him, the mirror uses that cold damage weapon).

If your players decide to start pulling other tricks, such as dropping their stuff, have your mirror immediately get everything on the ground upon creation.  They give their eq to a friend?  No problem, have your mirror create with the best equipment pulled from everybody on-line at the time.  Or, you could implement an "owner" flag for objects, and have ownership of objects cost something to change.

In the RP world, it may be easier to control your players without having to "hard code" these kinds of things.  I live in a PK world, so I don't have as much wiggle room.

Back to the original point, though.  It's really not that hard to develop a half decent AI system for anyone that's serious about having one.  Time consuming, perhaps, but hard...definitely not.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:12 AM   #7
John

John is on a distinguished road
Why not have something that mirrors everything the person does? So if someone enters the room then that person's double enters the room. But who'd win the fight? Well most combat systems have some randomness, it's all a luck of the draw. Or if someone can somehow outsmart the system.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 01:46 PM   #8
Ingham

Alternatively, be mean and have mirror images to created on everyone entering a room. Friend is lugging around your EQ? Give him one of his own mirror images to fight as wewll then, that should keep him busy, especially considering his mirror image has the best stuff of both his original character as well as his friend. Add some nice no-recall and no-flee flags to this lovely situation and you'll soon run out of friends crazy enough to help you out...
Old 09-16-2002, 06:04 PM   #9
CSmith_Fan

CSmith_Fan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CSmith_Fan
CSmith_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Alternate reality - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternate Realm Hosting Belerik MUD Announcements 0 02-09-2007 05:17 PM
Shattered Reality Needs Builders xunil Advertising for Staff 0 01-07-2005 06:56 PM
Fantasy becomes reality, look at this link! The Vorpal Tribble MUD Humor 4 04-24-2004 09:22 PM
Abandoned Reality - A great RP Enviroment! lucium Advertising for Players 4 04-17-2004 03:01 PM
Star Trek: Alternate Worlds (MUSH) Mierza Advertising for Players 0 09-22-2003 09:48 PM