Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
Rhuarc

Rhuarc is on a distinguished road
Active player ratios

Just for curiosities sake, I have been wondering how the average number of active players (at any given time) relates to the number of active player files.

If you have any numbers from your mud that you would care to share, consider;

1. the average number of online players
2. the number of active player files
3. what you consider to be an active player file (last logged in more than 30 days, 90, 180,etc).
4. if your player files are not account based (i.e. you might have one player who owns several active player files), how, if at all, have you accounted for that in your active player file count?
Rhuarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Active player ratios

Alas, vastly differing AFK policies make what it means to be an online player different from game to game. I've seen MUDs where the average online idle time (ie without entering a command) was over 26 minutes (and that was with a couple hundred players on....was a MUSH called Shangri-la that had no policy against AFKness) while in other MUDs there may not be a single player who has been idle for 26 minutes. For instance, in the aforementioned example, if you took out the idle players the game's online population would have dropped by about 60-70%.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough

Yeah. The one where I play we had 50 logged in at a time, usually, then the system went down for several month (college was redoing their network and didn't give a frack about our single server). Then, when it went back up it was under new admin, who started cracking down on some people's cheating and fixing bugs (some of which where being used to cheat, even *after* the players where told not to do that). The end result is that now... average logged in is 15-20, with most of those at near the top levels, so idle until/unless something interesting happens. Say, 4-5 *active* players, with 10-16 idle for fairly long periods. Its rather sad and the few attempts to draw people into other activities has failed due to the chicken and egg problem. X features where never in game, so are not really supported, so its hard to play that way, but since its hard to play that way, not enough people do it, so we don't think there is much point in adding X. X being RP elements, player guilds, crafting, or other changes.

Just makes you want to bang your head against the wall some days.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515

Further complicating matters are games where the staff also play. The H&S I used to play long, long ago had an average of about 50 players on most of the time. Of them, you'd see about 15-20 or so who were idle. When you looked of who was on, you'd see that 10 of the total were staff. Additionally, 10 others were the non-Imm characters of staff. So, out of the original 50 you'd see online, there were really only 20-25 who active players on most of the time (if that).
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Oddly enough, I have been on muds that the who list is also made up of important NPC's.

A good method to determine who is really around on a game is to see who you interact with in the main town or locale. If no one is around to roleplay with even if the mud shows 200 players online, then it really isn't the mud you are looking for if you want player interaction.

On the other hand, if you only want sporatic interaction in the main city, but a HUGE world where you could be alone for hours, then the mud in question might be right for you.

The real question isn't "how many players are online" but really, "how many players can I interact with". Sometimes numerous players isn't the answer though, and as the thread "do you like small playerbase muds" talks about, sometimes it is more fun to "go it alone" in some games.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

Why must you tell the OP that he didn't really mean to ask the question he asked? The guy wants to know the average number of active players, vs. the average number of active player accounts, in various games. I'm sure he's intelligent enough that if he was actively seeking a game where he could interact with a certain number of characters, he would have asked that. Nowhere did he indicate or imply that he is looking to play any particular game. In fact he specified that his query was "just out of curiosity."

I have no answer to the OP, other than to return a query in his direction in line with previous responses here: Do you count "logged in but usually idle" as active in your request for data? Because that would certainly make a huge difference in the answer.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

I was actually responding to the subsequent posts not the originator. Your point is well taken and my post should have been a new thread or on a different thread.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:19 AM   #8
scandum

scandum will become famous soon enough

1: 0.0134
2: 3.0000
3: me, myself, and I
4: haven't given that much thought, but we're certainly having a blast.
scandum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
Rhuarc

Rhuarc is on a distinguished road

Well, I am actually trying to get a feel more for how the various admins calculate this data, rather than for specific numbers (though those are welcome).

I am currently writing a perl script to parse through my player files on a regular basis and report on certain data, one of those pieces of data is the number of 'active' player files. In this regard, I cannot monitor time spent AFk vs time spent logged in, at least, not until I add more information to our player files to facilitate that.
Rhuarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
snoozer

snoozer is on a distinguished road

At my favorite MUD, all players logged in are considered "active". We're a roleplaying MUD and don't support idling. If they do idle, they get booted after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Here's how we keep track of active accounts vs. total accounts: we keep records for the past 24 hours, the past week, the past month, and the past year. But we don't do much of anything with the data.

Here's the data from 7am EST.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accursed Lands

In the game right now, there are:
6 "unknown" characters you have yet to meet,
0 "known" characters you have already met,
4 "hidden" character who prefer not to advertise their presence, and
5 creators working on the world,
for a total of:
15 currently online.
Active accounts in last day: 52 Active accounts in last week: 104
Active accounts in last month: 204 Active accounts in last year: 1904
Registered emails: 4977
Janda, the 18th of Halax, in the dead of winter of 405YT. 7/18/5

Oh, by the way, we only allow one account per player (although some people try to cheat from time to time).

Last edited by snoozer : 10-16-2007 at 07:06 AM. Reason: additional info
snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:22 AM   #11
bytre

bytre is on a distinguished road

Ancient Anguish:

1. Over the course of a day, minimum of high 20's, maximum of mid 60's online. Including wizards, about 25% may be idle.

2 & 3. 1568 in the last 30 days, 2531 in the last 60, 3352 in the last 90, 9039 in the last 365

4. not accounted for.
bytre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #12
Sandfrog

Sandfrog is on a distinguished road

The Eternal City the mud I play has about 100 or so active.

Peek hours theres about 75 online. Any other time it ranges from 25-50.
Sandfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #13
chaosprime

Home MUD: Lost Souls
chaosprime will become famous soon enough

1. 15
2. 103 'atman' accounts (which can each contain up to 15 'incarnos' characters), 431 characters
3. logged in within past 7 days
4. n/a
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #14
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road

1. 5-10
2. 34
3. 1 week
4. n/a

Note this is on The Builder Academy not a MUD in the sense of it being a game, so its statistics might be different than most MUDs.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:22 AM   #15
rendekar

rendekar is on a distinguished road

gives a rough but mostly accurate idea about how many are on .. but then again it won't give you any info about idlers..
rendekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road

Not will it give any idea about the total number of active players, only the average number logged on.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:42 PM   #17
lotusofro

lotusofro is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the OP may have been asking to find out how people are designating their "average players online," listing in the database for their mud?

I figured mine out by adding the average number online per hour (we keep track) and divide that by 24. Currently we're at 8.3 average.

We don't allow idling, afk people are designated afk, then booted after a short period.
lotusofro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #18
chaosprime

Home MUD: Lost Souls
chaosprime will become famous soon enough

No, he definitely wasn't. Language like "what you consider to be an active player file (last logged in more than 30 days, 90, 180,etc)" is clearly nothing to do with players currently online.
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
nass

nass is on a distinguished road

players get deleted after inactivity, 3 days for level <5
average number, it's based on the # and # of hrs
we've looked through the pfiles to calculate average per player
nass is offline   Reply With Quote