Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 08-25-2004, 11:10 AM   #141
Stilton

Stilton is on a distinguished road
Sinuhe, replying to the_logos:
ROFL, indeed- go look up "logos" if you don't understand why your question is funny.

For the people arguing with logos over free:

logos runs a business. He follows the TMS rules, but within the rules will try to maximize the voting scores for IR muds and make his listings as attractive to potential players as possible.

If you really want to have commercial muds flagged as such, then ask Synozeer for a "hobbyist/commercial" flag next to a mud listing instead of having the Nth annual argument over what free means.

Stilton
Stilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #142
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
If you really want to have commercial muds flagged as such, then ask Synozeer for a "hobbyist/commercial" flag next to a mud listing instead of having the Nth annual argument over what free means.

Yup.  However, before I go and make this kind of request, I wanted to hear out all sides, toss some compromise ideas out there, and see what the best approach would be.  Forums are usually good for this, assuming all parties are willing to talk.

This thread has an example of people (myself and others) doing exactly that, after IRE began bribing players to vote for them, among other tactics Threshold characterized (very accurately, in my opinion) as "particularly sleazy" ().  Everyone got a chance to talk, some proposals were floated, and Synozeer eventually stepped in and made a call ().

In my opinion, IRE deliberately mischaracterizes their service.  I offered some ideas for how their website could better clarify what they offer (*), but was rebuffed and told to take legal action via the Federal Trade Commission.

Several posters offered reasonable suggestions, generally centered around IRE calling themselves some variant of "pay-for-perks" instead of "free".  This was met with personal attacks, as well as sarcastic counteroffers like:

the_logos:  

When you're dealing with someone whose attitude is "I don't care if people get insulted by my opinions. I don't care if they get provoked by things I do." (), then I agree that it's the only way to handle the situation.  I also have to agree with Kavir's conclusion that it seems like the_logos is interested in killing as much quality conversation here as possible, by wading in, insulting swaths of the community, and using sixth-grade debate tactics, as Dulan is fond of pointing out.  (And then complaining that there isn't enough quality conversation.)

-Valg

(*): As another poster pointed out, they advertise that pay-for-perks is an incentive in their eyes, since it allows you to allegedly balance your own available-funds vs. free-time budget.  You'd think they'd want to make that clear, if they consider it an advantage.
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote

Top 20 muds - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old muds makila Tavern of the Blue Hand 13 06-08-2012 05:13 AM
Looking for RP MUDs Almondine War Advertising for Players 13 10-22-2005 02:07 PM
Any Muds? Asalyt Advertising for Players 6 03-10-2004 09:10 PM
RP Muds.....again Realedazed Advertising for Players 3 08-14-2003 10:43 AM
D&D Muds Muerte Advertising for Staff 2 06-26-2002 02:25 PM