Old 05-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #81
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
The threads continue to re-occur because that is the only way to get those with power to change the status quo to listen; repeated lobbying. The chances are greater that Syno understands the importance of this topic in relation to his forum users the more often we bring it up, and does something about it.

It's just how things work.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:29 AM   #82
GuruPlayer

GuruPlayer is on a distinguished road
Oh Crapola Frye!!! You've been on a anti-the_logos rant ever since you registered on these forums! The only reason these threads are repeated is because of approx a dozen posters like you with an agenda, on both sides of the issues that feel the need to beat their chests repeatedly with the same tired arguments over & over & over. It's obvious to everyone that the website admins are aware of both sides' views, & choose not to change a thing, so grow up & live with it!

Oh, and Shane, why don't you try reading the 100's of pages of past threads re this pro/con commercial vs. non-commercial crap before you start throwing insults.
GuruPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #83
John

John is on a distinguished road
Should I have worded it as a thinly veiled flame?
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #84
Hadoryu

Hadoryu is on a distinguished road
I'm going to heartily agree with GuruPlayer here.

And seeking to force the site admin into doing what you want by keeping a wound like this open isn't exactly respectable. If you want something to change, you should just send an e-mail. One e-mail.
Hadoryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #85
Shane

Shane is on a distinguished road
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #86
cron0s

cron0s is on a distinguished road
I think a far simpler solution would be for you to stop trolling and try reading the forum before posting. You have made over 100 posts in under 3 weeks. Get a clue.
cron0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #87
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
1) One might ask who is the bigger problem: The person discussing the issue longer than you'd like, or the people who only post to complain that the thread is too long. The simpler solution is: If the topic no longer interests you, don't read it and don't bump it. It obviously interests the people who are discussing it, snce they're voting with their virtual feet.

2) If Synozeer didn't want suggestions (public or otherwise) on how to improve his website, he probably wouldn't have created this forum named "Bugs and Suggestions", and given it the description: "Please report any bugs you find on Top Mud Sites and post any suggestions you'd like to see implemented."
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #88
Valg

I assumed the initial question was rhetorical. Special treatment for those who spend extra implies 'unspecial' treatment for those who don't.

It's why we've made it clear to our playerbase that buying merchandise gets you merchandise, and not influence. Contrary to assertions made elsewhere in this thread, by all accounts they've been comfortable with that distinction-- I've handled the money for quite some time and I've only been approached once by someone who thought his financial support meant special favors. (It didn't. The ban he was protesting remains intact to this day.)
Old 05-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #89
HBDR

HBDR is on a distinguished road
Exactly, and anyone who expects otherwise just isn't right upstairs. Donations are donations, merchandise is merchandise. This kind of policy is what I can respect and think is an outstanding example of what other MU*s should follow.
HBDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #90
Shane

Meh, can't seem to find the delete button.

Anyhow, yeah. It agravates me when people try to control other people's conversation by insulting and bullying tactics. Can't seem to resist responding.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:45 PM   #91
Valg

I'd forgotten about this, but there are MUDs that actually advertise that you'll get better customer service if you pay more.  Taken verbatim:

Separate, Speedier Queues for Assistance, Referrals and Feedback! ... As a Premium member, you will gain access to faster assistance lines to reach a GameHost and faster referral lines to speak to a GameMaster. And letters sent to our Feedback department by Premium members are also routed to a special mailbox and answered first!

At least they're open about less-paying (but still paying, on this game) customers having to sit at the back of the virtual bus.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #92
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
I'm not sure what MUD you're referencing, but your implication that there's some analog between giving better customer service to people who pay more and segregationist policies is more than a little bit over the top.

Is it 'bad' when Disneyland sells less waiting in lines to people? Is it 'bad' when companies sell you different levels of customer service plans, such as Dell (along with many, many companies) do?

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #93
John

John is on a distinguished road
That's why I'm interested to see how Threshold copes with this phenomenon he claims is present in all muds.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:55 AM   #94
Hadoryu

1) At which point does it stop being a discussion? I'm pretty sure nothing new is being said, in fact, Donathin said it was actually 'lobbying'. Is that a proper use of the forum?

2) So how many times do you rehash something before it becomes 'a new suggestion'? Synozeer knows about what's being suggested already - the forum's served it's purpose.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:35 AM   #95
Shane

"1) At which point does it stop being a discussion? I'm pretty sure nothing new is being said, in fact, Donathin said it was actually 'lobbying'. Is that a proper use of the forum?"

It never stops being a discussion. A person can lobby for change through discussion, much as you are trying to lobby for a change of topic on this thread rather than starting one of your own. It certainly does not stop being a discussion due to length.

"2) So how many times do you rehash something before it becomes 'a new suggestion'? Synozeer knows about what's being suggested already - the forum's served it's purpose."

The most obvious point is that the forum is not labelled "new suggestion" forum. Aside from that, new people can sometimes have new things to say about an old suggestion.

Just as you say that the website owner knows of the suggestion, I feel fairly sure he also knows about the ongoing debates regarding it.

But these answers are all too obvious. Yet again I implore you, instead of trying to control other people's topics of interest, why not go and read or start topics of your own, and leave people alone who want to discuss something of no interest to you. There really is NO problem with that from any sector. You are free at ANY time to stop messing with this thread and go deal with other ones.

Seriously.... not to be combative or anything, just up front, what is your issue with people posting notes on a forum about muds that deals with marketing and business model information for muds? How can you take issue with that, even if it has been going on for ages? Who cares if it has been going on for ages? Why do YOU care if it has been going on for ages?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #96
Hadoryu

Is it still a discussion when neither side is listening to the other? I understand that you're new to the discussion, but it's beyond old at this point. At this point it isn't being raised so it's merits are discussed, instead it's being spammed in what seems to be an attempt to exhaust the admin to the point of compliance.

It bothers me because along with the rehashing come the rehashed veiled insults and insinuations, which are leveled against the owner of a place I've chosen as a virtual playground.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #97
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
Hey, if people want to go around in circles their whole lives, that's fine. Who knows, something might even change because of it.

If we're running under the assumption that Synozeer knows the arguments and knows the discussions, then I'm sure he'd have come down and made an announcement if he didn't want us saying the same things again and again. And he hasn't.

It's his site, and his whatever it takes to keep it running, and it's no skin off any of our asses if people want to play 'the chicken or the egg' the rest of their lives.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #98
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
It's obvious that this subject is still important an interesting to a large number of the active forum population. Until things change and people are happy, it seems likely that people will keep beating this "dead horse" until it wakes up and rides again.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #99
Shane

Old 05-13-2006, 06:38 AM   #100
Emil

Emil is on a distinguished road
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free mu*d FREE FOR ALL Enola_Phoenix Bugs and Suggestions 10 08-20-2004 08:07 PM
Web-design announcement thing Jenred MUD Announcements 2 03-28-2004 07:02 PM
The hardest thing Alajha Roleplaying and Storytelling 4 12-30-2003 02:51 PM
Anyone know of any free... Almondine War MUD Administration 5 02-22-2003 08:28 PM
What is your favorite thing in a mud? Xanferious Tavern of the Blue Hand 1 07-15-2002 11:40 AM