Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #21
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
Re: Death

I could not help but thinking of I read while browsing a MUD's forums. In general it tries to discuss what makes a good PvP game, what are the conditions etc. It touches many of the points that Threshold mentions as well as others that make no sense to me.

My opinion on the matter comes from a non-rp environment (as I see a RP'd death with no consequence an oxymoron), in general a death, for PvP to be healthy has to have either a negative impact on the victim or a positive impact on the victor, or some combination thereof.

Regarding the dumbing down of games, I believe many people have grown accustomed to have things given to them, you can clearly see it in the American society but I am sure it is also true elsewhere. You rarely have to 'fail' a grade in school anymore, your teacher has to accommodate things so that YOUR learning is enhanced, not you enhance your studying techniques or, God forbids, your parents being involved on your education, your government giving you a $300 dollars tax-credit check, etc, etc. This paired up with a greater availability of glossy-looking games force MUD admins to either dumb down things a little for the great majority lest the crowd gets upset an alienated and leaves in exchange of alienating the (let's call it ) hard-core thrill seekers or PvP addicts.

This dumbing down is not necessarily done through making death meaningless. You can make power acquiring an easy path, making those who stop to hone their PK skills at certain point be left behind with a considerable power disadvantage, you can make PK such that it is so easy to avoid that only newbies or people who really want to fight die, you can restrict PK out of activities that are liked by the general population (contests etc) but that require speed and skill, which a PvP combat will stun, etc.

I personally am more of a hard supporter of a good PK system that has enough variability in it that there is not a single method that works, based more on skill than mere grinding. I dislike auto-pvp (one or two people using a coded drone to fight) although some games are of such complexity that it may be required to have such in order to play regularly anyway. I also believe that having different types of players (uninvolved, semi-involved, involved) on the PvP scenario helps the growth of the PvP base while still allowing more risk-less options for those of softer stomach.

To sum it all, I believe in options open (out-out) over dumbing down, with some sort of reward/penalty system for when death occurs. Yet I am convinced that if you were once a thrill seeker PK'er and want now to look for something like you used to have, you will have a harder time finding it.
Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote