Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Promotions and Events > Advertising for Players
Click here to Register

Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Xine

Xine is on a distinguished road
Looking for Home

Hello! I've recently been out of a MUD to play, and now I am searching for a new home. I've been searching for a few months now and I"m having trouble finding a MUD that I can stick with. Maybe I'm just not patient enough. But if you could help me out that would be great!!

Some things that throw me off of a MUD right away:

** Too much color!: I want color in my MUD, but not with EVERY thing colored, and especially not BRIGHT colors, unless you can configure and change things then that's fine.

**Not being able to find your way around: Of course, first starting a MUD you will be disoriented, and this is normal a little bit. But what I really hate is when you're plopped in the middle of some place, with no maps, and you need to get somewhere to go any farther.. but you can't find the stupid place!! Yeah.. quite annoying.

**Excessive OOC talk: I want to be part of the roleplay almost immediately. I don't want to be submersed with real worldly things, I'd like to get to know the MUD and its environment in character. Some is okay if it is to help me understand the MUD better.

Some things that I enjoy in a MUD, and what I am looking for:

**Friendly environment

**Roleplay at least accepted, preferred encouraged or even mandatory

**Player Killing should be restricted, or backed up with roleplay

**A MUD that focuses more on Roleplay than 'Roll-Play': For this I will add a little something. I would like to be away from D&D type MUDs and similar ones to that, as I know NOTHING about that, and get really confused with excessive stats.

**A history or back story would be nice

**There should be some races, preferably original, and I do like classes

**Level-based as well

A minor side note: I like to be a part of a class right away, with pre-defined skills if possible. It isn't important but it is something that I enjoy more than picking and choosing skills/spells.

I think that's most of it. If you can suggest a MUD that fits some of these I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Xine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Hyena

Hyena is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for Home

connect: carlnet.ee 4000

There's a mud that perfectly fills some of your terms.
Arion knows that learning a new mud from scratch is painful and this is why anything is done to make the game as simple yet powerful as possible.

How restricted the player kill should be? There's a MUD that should be perfect for your terms others than player kill. Player kill is not allowed within the good and neutral races ( For example if you are a human then no other dwarf, human, elf nor hobbit will come to kill you. However, if you face a ghost in wilderness then probably you will be targeted).

In Arion you have total configuration over your ansi colors. Just type color or help ansi or help ansi2 and you will see the syntaxes (However, the most used ansi configuration is by default).
You can do almost anything with the colours.

There is almost flawless map and automap system (must see) that allows you extremely easily learn the world of Arion ( As I am used to these supportive fast maps I must admit I don't want to play any new mud that doesn't have automaps ).
AREAMAP - shows the small area of rooms around you ( rooms' exits included )
ZONEMAP - shows the large area of rooms around you ( doesn't consist rooms' exits )
MAP GLOBAL - shows the areal structure of the global map

If someone bothers you with anti-rp taling in public channels then there is quiet mode possible.

To keep it simple, arion has only 4 classes with only some overlapping skills/spells.

How they play Arion (brief)?
* You create a character ( Recommendedly a human, dwarf, elf or hobbit as these are the most newbie friendly races. Very good choice for beginners. )
* You listen the old man in the beginning. Then go to the north and enter the portal.
* You will find yourself from your hometown altar. Now you will explore the town. ( Beware elves as their hometown includes death traps on the valley edge. Way far down into the valley is a death trap. )
* You will practice skills/spells.
* You will type OUTFIT to receive basic equipment.
* You will kill rats and other low level mobiles to advance some levels. Then practice new skills and spells.
* You move to other areas and explore, trying to find gold or good exp. ( You will get killed a lot, don't take it personally because that's how you learn )
* You will exp and practice new skills/spells. Save money for better equipment. Eventually you will become level 51.
* Now you are a hero. You cannot lose level 51 ever by dying YESS!!
* Now you should be experienced enough to take part of the best: grouping with other heroes and raiding enemy towns or player killing the enemies.
* Further leves will be based on warpoints not exp. Warpoints can only be gained for killing enemies.

Due to small playerbase you probably won't see other players online when logging in at a random time. That is why we ( about ten persons ) have each other in our msn to coordinate the gaming. Anyone joining or interested in some other way should add me Zerich99 as a hotmail account to your msn.

Good races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit
Neutral races: Nomad, Giant, Ssrathi, Formian
Evil races: Orc, Goblin, Demon, Troll
Undead race: Ghost ( you can only become a ghost by suffering from real death of hero level ironman character )
Corrupt races: Fallen, Drow, Gollum ( Bad humans become fallens, bad elves become drows and bad hobbits->gollums )

Last edited by Hyena : 12-02-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Xine

Xine is on a distinguished road

Thank you, I'll give it a try
Xine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Sandfrog

Sandfrog is on a distinguished road

You should come and try The Eternal City. Everything you listed we have and more! Only downside its Pay to play, but really I think its worth, The quality of the mud is nothing like any other I have ever tried. Anywas give it a try you get a free month of play.

Skotos.net
Sandfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough

Hello Xine,

It is always a pleasure to see another player seeking a MUD to join. Not sure you've come by New Worlds Ateraan, but here are some reasons why you should:I'm also not a fan of a plethora of colors. You won't find that on NW and PK is allowable, but with RP reasons. We are Roleplay Enforced.

Some other MUDS I would recommend are and both are interesting and good systems in their own right. If you haven't tried some of Iron Realms games, you might find their format enjoyable as well.

Good Luck in your search!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough

Threshold sounds like a perfect fit for you. It has everything you are asking for, and a 12+ year history and backstory. If you need any help getting started, feel free to PM me here.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
Hyena

Hyena is on a distinguished road

About Arion I mentioned before there has been a slight change. It no longer runs on port 3000.
Now it is carlnet.ee 4000
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
Mugo

Mugo is on a distinguished road

Good day to you. I took a few minutes to reply to your questions as reflected below. I am suggesting you try my personal favorite mud Toril. I have provided connection information and such as well. I am just a player there so no hidden motives!

Love to see ya there! Mugo

I agree, untasteful / too much color is horrible. If a mud has color I want mostly like 1 color at a time!

here is a map of toril

The starting city is central and floats in the heavens (though you can enter the main portion at any time). There is a fairy solid player base and people hang out in Waterdeep (Middle), of Mithril Hall (North), or Viperstongue Outpost / Calimport (South)

Ooc = I dont know, I keep it toggled off. GCC = gameplay chat .. thats where its at

We are pretty friendly I think, though I can only speak for myself!

RP is heavily encouraged, and we have meetings / days set aside for RP events (see RPNews)

Pk is only allowed in certain areas (see Acheron)

This mud is mostly original (some based upon Forgotten Realms) and has been running for over 10 years.

14 Races and ..

Fighter ........ Priest ... Rogue ...... Magic-User ... Other
======= ====== ===== ========== ======
Warrior ........ Cleric ... Rogue ....... Enchanter Psionicist
Ranger ........ Druid .... Bard ......... Invoker
Paladin ....... Shaman . Bchanter ... Elementalist
Anti-Paladin ................................ Necromancer
Dire Raider ................................. Illusionist

50 levels

All classes have pre-defined skills .. some of these skills are honed/ gained through leveling. Including spells. / Some through questing for the highest possible spells.

Toril Mud rocks! *mosh 9999 [connect to torilmud.org 9999]

Last edited by Mugo : 12-02-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Mugo is offline   Reply With Quote