Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > TMS Announcements and Feedback
Click here to Register

Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
SISNAEK

Newest MUDs added

The section at the top of the homepage that displays the latest games added to the database has been the same for quite some time. I would like to suggest this be done away with, or just left to one side of the homepage (currently it is on the left and right of the MUD seearch box). As it stands now, it's just free prime location advertising for MUDs that have done nothing but be the last to add their game to what is a dying genre. Didn't there used to be a latest reviewed section here instead? Surely there is a better use of this space since it doesn't seem to be updated with anything new anymore. Maybe just promote a random game each day in place of this, or take it out completely and promote MUD clients or something. Anything seems better than the same list that has been there for who knows how long.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
realmsofvalor

realmsofvalor is on a distinguished road
Re: Newest MUDs added

I can take exception only to 'done nothing' & 'dying genre' parts. We've done plenty of fun and roleplay on Arantha and I am very appreciative of the amount of time I've had to brag 'We're on the top of the list at TMS!', even if it isn't true from a voting stats standpoint. It's also true that TMS has referred more new accounts than any other.
Thank you, Top Mud Sites! You are a credit to your audience and have sent us some of the best players around.

And dying genre? Baby, disco's dead, polio's gone, fax machine's still chuggin', and the MUD world appears to walk on. Live Long and Long Live the MUD!
realmsofvalor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
SISNAEK

I've invested 4 years into a MUD of my own, so I apologize if you've taken offense to what I assumed to be common knowledge. There's still a community for people like us of course, but I don't think my statement is inaccurate. I just felt more could be done with this prime location since it's clearly not taking in any newcomers.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
SISNAEK

I was going to start a new subject but to my surprise, here is an old, semi-related one from me! I had forgotten even making this suggestion, and definitely forgot about the way it came across.

Anyway, along these same lines, is there any plans to modernize TMS any? I'd love to see some expanded social media sharing options. TMS is a hub for the MUD world so why not create more ways to refer traffic back to the site? Speaking on behalf of a game that uses facebook and twitter as a way to remind fans of upcoming events, I think we'd make great use out of sharing interesting threads here with our own following, bringing a larger audience to the discussion.

Maybe the more popular social media sites are frowned upon by the administrators and this has already been discussed. I did notice that there are a few sharing options, but not necessarily the most used.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
dark acacia
Banned

dark acacia is on a distinguished road

I'd like to see some of the new, struggling, and declining MUDs get better publicity than the same dozen or so high performers.

Do Ateraan, Aardwolf, Armageddon, and the Iron Realms games really need all that much help? How much do they have to pay to be on the TMS top 20? How much do games 21 and below have to pay?

Last week I tried a game which used to have a big community, and people were rushing me through the levels because the game is struggling so much. It could use some help.
dark acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
arden

arden is on a distinguished road

then how about telling us if A) it is any good and B) what it's called so we can have a look
arden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
dark acacia
Banned

People complain when I do.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road

I'd also like to see something like this, and I recall posting something to this effect a year or so ago only to have it rather violently shot down (probably due to the technical details of the proposal.) I don't remember those details, but the basic idea was to rank games based on MSSP userload and average uptime.

- calculate a 30 day or 60 day userload and uptime using MSSP data polled hourly
- divide by four for any mud that has been around less than three months
- else divide by two for any mud that has been around less than six months
- derate the value further if there's meaningful downtime where MSSP data can't be collected

From this list, remove the top ten or twenty entries (these will be the 'popular' servers that don't need any help), and display the next 10-20 as 'up and coming muds' on the front page.

Reasons:

- a mud that can't attract any userload at all is probably not active enough to justify logging into. It only takes one dedicated admin actually being present and talking to players to get an audience of half a dozen, so a mud that can only manage a userload of 1 probably shouldn't be on the list, no matter who is working on it

- new muds should automatically be derated for their honeymoon period to avoid the list becoming a list of soon-to-be-defunct one-hit-wonders

- muds that have unreliable connections should be derated for obvious reasons

If there's issues with the same muds only ever being in the list, or if people want more variation, simply display every odd numbered entry, or perhaps every fourth or eighth entry. This would still keep the list ordered, but would give a lot more selection and variation of say the top 100, excluding the most popular at the top.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

Compared to the IRE games, Armageddon isn't that highly populated. On average, there are less than 100 players logged in at any given time, and often it's below 50.

There are other MUCH more massively-populated games, but their players choose not to vote for them, for whatever reason (the Simutronics games, in particular).

If your game is hurting, convince your players to vote. It's not that hard to make it to the top 20 list even if you don't have a lot of players. Each player can vote twice per 24-hour period.

No one is *paying* to be on the list. Our games are on the list, because the players have voted them to the list.

Last edited by Jazuela : 12-02-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
dark acacia
Banned

What good is voting if the game is already down to 5-10 people at most? There are a lot of games out there with very small communities--let's call them rump communities (like a rump state, which is a small country left over from a much bigger country)--with great people in them, but will they ever make an impact if they all voted as much as they could?

I was playing such a MUD last week with very nice people. They advanced me through the game very rapidly not just because it was something different to do, but because they wanted more active players. The problem is that I ended up becoming a high level player just by doing what was told OOCly, and as a result I lost interest because everything was all done for me. I was brought to the destination without the journey by people who wanted to keep their game going. The alternative would have been to refuse much of the help and be a body on the who list and a voice in OOC chat, but then I wouldn't have anyone to party through the tougher dungeons with either.

This is why I advocated the "Try a New MUD Day/Weekend/Week." I've been thinking about forming a sort of traveling guild of MUDders who set up a night every so often and work together in a new, struggling game and then write their impressions on TMS and elsewhere to try and help sell the game. I've been busy lately so I haven't done anything to create the guild except think it up.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough

20th place currently has 48 votes. It's December 3. This means that any game with a minimum of 10 players, COULD be better than 20th place, if they had each voted twice since the monthly reset.

There is no reason why any game with a 10-player playerbase can't have a presence in the top 20.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
Freela

Freela is on a distinguished road

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'd like to do that with you some time
Freela is offline   Reply With Quote