Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Builders and Areas
Click here to Register

Old 01-28-2003, 10:42 PM   #1
Tocamat

Tocamat is on a distinguished road
I am the Head builder of a Mud called Necromium. One of our game features is an overhead map. I have been logging into some of the muds listed in the TMS Top 100 looking for another mud with this feature.

*What I would like to know, is how you, my fellow builders feel about overhead mapping?

*I would also like to view other muds with this feature if you could provide addy's.

Below is a link to our muds (under construction) webpage. We have included a few screen shots of some of our game zones.

If you are not familiar with overhead mapping, let me explain. These are not artists renditions. These maps are actually visible to players as they navigate a zone. What you see here is visible to a player in 4x4 or 6x6 sections.
Tocamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 04:34 AM   #2
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
That sounds like the map option that comes with the Wilderness Grid to me. We use it too, for the grids, but you have to type 'map' to display it. Didn't fancy having it on the screen all the time, it gets too spammy when you move around.

The maps are nice though, especially when you display them as 20x20 pics.

On a sidenote - not all our zones have the map function, just the grids.

Another mud I know that uses the grids is Lensmoor, there are probably tons of others.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:03 AM   #3
Zhymm

Zhymm is on a distinguished road
Greetings, Tocamat.

I'm not a builder but I'm familiar with a few MUDs that sport the feature you're asking about. This sounds a bit like the ascii 'tile map' that appears as you move around the terrain. In fact, I like this feature and it's one thing I look for when 'checking out' a MUD for potential play (I guess I'll have to look at Necronium, now <grin>). A couple also have a 'map' command which displays a large overhead view of the area or a portion of the zone where one happens to be.

Act of War ( port 4000 or bb11.betterbox.net port 4000) - sports an 8x8 tile map at left of screen during movement and its map command displays a 22x22 segment. Team pk (if you're into that), otherwise a pretty nasty place playerwise.

All Out War, a near twin of AoW above (aow.gotdns.com port 4000) - sports a 6x6 tile map during movement and a 30x30 map command (really nice map, here ... much 'prettier' than the one shown in the map command on Act of War). Playerbase has dropped to near zero.

Adventures Unlimited has(had?) the ascii tile map feature, though I haven't been there in awhile.

Hope this helps.

Zhymm
Zhymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:04 PM   #4
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 12:25 PM   #5
Soki

Soki is on a distinguished road
Soki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 09:25 AM   #6
jornel

jornel is on a distinguished road
On our mud we have a powerful automap that is command and argument driven, so what the map shows can vary and you don't get spammed every time you take a step (Zhymm, ask me and I'll show it to you).

We are currently putting specific parts of this automap into particular skills, spells and magic items that make IC-sense so as not to let automapping dominate the player's perception of the game.  Forgive me this small plug, but we do not want the automap features to disrupt the player's ability to remain totally immersed in the world evoked by our really top-notch descriptions!
jornel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 04:54 PM   #7
Eagleon

Eagleon is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Eagleon Send a message via Yahoo to Eagleon
Eagleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:25 AM   #8
Chapel

Chapel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Chapel Send a message via AIM to Chapel Send a message via MSN to Chapel
Angry

Normally I would say any visual enhancement to a text-based game is a good thing, however, as a once avid pkiller, I think an automap, especially one that signals the location of other players, will only serve to spoil me.

Usually I toggle those features off. The hunt is 80% of the thrill of PKing, the map serves to lessen that thrill my making it easy.

Chapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 02:00 AM   #9
Davairus

Davairus is an unknown quantity at this point
On Abandoned Realms when a player types map, he gets a map of either western thera or eastern thera, depending on which he is in .. and the name of the area he is currently in is highlighted. So the bare essentials for exploring pretty much. Maps of specific areas are found in game, as items.
Davairus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:02 PM   #10
xanes

xanes is on a distinguished road
Well, I'm not a builder either, I'm more of a coder, and I think that an automap Would be useful as long as it doesn't take up much space.

When I wrote an automapper, All it did was loop for two rooms recursively in each direction and then printed the room description side-on to the map. So, the extra scoll was the number of characters not the number of lines the map comprised.

The major drawback to this was that the code to format the room descriptions is a little insane, but that's better than reformatting all the area files.

-Xanes -=- Lone Coder WinterMUTE
xanes is offline   Reply With Quote

Building - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Art of Building Neranz Laverani MUD Builders and Areas 18 08-08-2005 08:13 PM
Mud building Sesshomaru MUD Builders and Areas 1 11-16-2004 11:56 AM
Building a new MUD Mierza MUD Coding 42 01-11-2004 01:59 PM
Building a MUD Shlim MUD Builders and Areas 1 08-21-2003 06:22 PM
Web based building Blobule Advertising for Staff 4 09-18-2002 09:47 AM