Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Thagrahn

Name: William
Thagrahn is on a distinguished road
Returning to MUDs

I haven't played any MUDs since about 2002, but since I got my Associate's Degree in Game and Web Design, I decided to see about revisiting the MUDs, MUSHs, and Texted based games.

Currently, I am exploring Iron Claw MUD and Rusted Promises MUCK. Since it's been so long since I played, it feels like I am having to relearn a lot of the basics.

From the perspective of a Gamer and a Game Developer, a MUD is a lot more flexible and forgiving than most games since you don't have to worry about matching animations to actions, or creating all the creatures you want your players to be able to play as.

The things I hope to learn from the community here is relearning how to create rooms, areas, NPCs, and props. In addition I would like to learn how to code the core of a MUD so I can understand the parts used for character creation, classes, skills, and crafting.

While MUDs are simple in the fact that most of the game is handled in text, the underlying workings can be just as complicated (or more complicated) than games that focus on Visual Animations.

While I am not very familiar with the MUD specific languages, I have a working understanding of C Basic, C++, and C#. I want to be able to expand my understanding of coding and computer languages, as well as become more proficient as a coder.

I hope to see others looking to keep this form of Gaming alive, and also hope to be able to help take the MUD and Text Based games further into the abilities of using other technologies, and expanding the bases on which MUDs are accessible by gamers.
Thagrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Returning to MUDs

Welcome back to the desert of the real world of gaming Thagrahn. Hope you enjoy it!
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Lorana

Name: Joanna
Home MUD: End of Time
Lorana is on a distinguished road

Sounds like an interesting degree! Good luck in your pursuit of MUD studies :-)
Lorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Parnassus

Parnassus is on a distinguished road

Although this was an introduction and not a question, you might want to also check out these:

and

The information is very interesting and the communities are very helpful. Good luck and happy hunting.
Parnassus is offline   Reply With Quote