Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > Bugs and Suggestions
Click here to Register

Old 07-24-2004, 12:03 PM   #21

Oh that's vague.   Define harassing. ;-)
Old 07-25-2004, 06:36 PM   #22
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:02 PM   #23
Valg

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
Valg will become famous soon enough
Valg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:53 PM   #24
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
You know, I was wondering why he'd started posting here again, after telling us all that he was no longer going to participate in these discussion forums...
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:24 PM   #25
Jedediah

Jedediah is on a distinguished road
Going back to the idea that muds are racist-- I don't think that's true at all, unless you're playing NaziMUD using the DiKKKu codebase.  Because you say elves have higher intelligence than trolls is not racist, it's simple fact, much in the same way you can say parrots are smarter than turkeys.  

Let's call them specist, instead.
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 02:32 PM   #26
Enola_Phoenix

Enola_Phoenix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via MSN to Enola_Phoenix Send a message via Yahoo to Enola_Phoenix
Since this topic no longer applies to the title the author created it with, seeing as how the flame war began with the_logos give the guy a break if it weren't for him and Kavir how interesting would these things be? More informative yes, interesting not really.... With that said with no point and really no meaning I will go twiddle my thumb and continue to see what hilarously funny stuff comes out next.
Enola_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:58 PM   #27
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
No, there are not many. Unlike here where there ARE many posts, but they're largely noise. I mean, I learned more from one of Bartle's posts on Mind's Eye than I ever have here, despite the much-more-frequent postings here.

Do I feel qualified to comment on how to run a site like Topmudsites? Yes, though it's got nothing to do with Mind's Eye. Remember that TMS and Mind's Eye have explicitly different purposes. TMS exists for...well, I'm not quite sure. Probably some pocket money for Synozeer along with a general good feeling he gets for running a site that's well-respected by mudders. Mind's Eye is explicitly non-commercial and was put together to allow people with actual successful experience to share that experience with each other. Unfortunately, there aren't that many text mud people with actual successful experience and there are a lot of concerns that commercial muds have that non-commercial ones don't.

What I'd love to see is for Topmudsites to improve the signal to noise ratio where it was similar to Mind's Eye, but with more participants and more traffic. I'm not sure if it's possible. Perhaps we will just open Mind's Eye to more people but simply ban all flaming or ad hominem attacks (*ahem*) and all advertisements so as not to compete with the content here or at Mudconnector.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:20 PM   #28
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
How about when you say wood elves have a lower intelligence than high elves? Sounds to me like saying Caucasian humans have a lower intelligence than Asian humans.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:00 PM   #29
John

John is on a distinguished road
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:12 PM   #30
Kenjar

Kenjar is on a distinguished road
I think horrible reviews should stay up. Why? Well, reviews are supposed to influence your choice in whether or not to play a mud. So if a mud has a whole slew of reviews that you think are terrible, that tells you that the playerbase are not a bunch of people you'd want to spend any amount of time with. There ya go. They did their job by influencing your choice.
Kenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:21 AM   #31
Jedediah

Jedediah is on a distinguished road
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:18 PM   #32
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Personally, I tend to prefer systems that may impose some preset limits on the 'individual', over ones with different attributes based on other factors, like species. However, there are often good reasons for it in high fantasy settings, where there are definite and obvious differences. But this brings up the comment I think I read in Dragon or some place, "The players are the heroes, not just the normal population. It should be expected that they don't quite fit the 'norm' for their race." It is a complicated issue and on the mud where I play it is so slipshod that quite a few races are almost totally useless, since their attributes make them incapable of doing well in every guild in the game. I suspect, due to the way the combat and other systems work, and the lack of alternative methods to really advance, that they would never do well in 'any' guild. But yeah, keep the RL stuff out of the game.

The stuff 'in game' needs to be based on in game issues, like people going around killing innocent foxes... (inside joke)

P.S. Thought I smelled a Troll on these forums Gemini.
-Kagehi Kossori grins at you.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:12 AM   #33
Cyre

Cyre is on a distinguished road
As true as this is, one can only do so much while maintaining any form of consistency throughout all of the systems in a game. If you allow players to just define their strengths and weaknesses at will, the majority will just min/max their way to greatness. It isn't very exciting when all of the PC trolls of the world are suddenly leaps and bounds more intelligent than the NPC trolls because a high intelligence for a troll makes for a tanky mage. People will metagame any system they can, and this has to be taken into account when designing how racial characteristics are ascribed. Certainly some degree of variation from the behavior of NPC's of the same race is to be expected, and desired of course, but this should be handled through roleplay moreso than through code support, as it quite simply makes balancing issues almost impossible to deal with, as evinced by your comment about the various useless races on the realm you frequent.
Cyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 12:13 AM   #34
Cyre

Cyre is on a distinguished road
As true as this is, one can only do so much while maintaining any form of consistency throughout all of the systems in a game. If you allow players to just define their strengths and weaknesses at will, the majority will just min/max their way to greatness. It isn't very exciting when all of the PC trolls of the world are suddenly leaps and bounds more intelligent than the NPC trolls because a high intelligence for a troll makes for a tanky mage. People will metagame any system they can, and this has to be taken into account when designing how racial characteristics are ascribed. Certainly some degree of variation from the behavior of NPC's of the same race is to be expected, and desired of course, but this should be handled through roleplay moreso than through code support, as it quite simply makes balancing issues almost impossible to deal with, as evinced by your comment about the various useless races on the realm you frequent.

~Cyre
Cyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:43 PM   #35
Kenjar

Kenjar is on a distinguished road
I have brought this up before, and I don't know if you're still talking about reviews, but I say that in certain cases a horrible review should stay. If, for example, a MUD had a slew of terribly written reviews "OMG, liek, u will LUV THIS GAME OMG!" then dosen't that give you a good idea of the people that are in that game.

That, combined with one of the other Runescape reviews (There are three- two are quite bad) would give me a good idea of what i'd find in Runescape. And I would be right- anyone who has played that trash heap (Getting a bit off topic, ahem) knows. If a game has a ton of bad reviews but the owner really thinks they are unwarrented, they can be removed. (If the owner is mature enough to ask them to be removed in a calm manor, that's all the convincing i'd need to help 'em out)

-Kenjar, he of the unpopular opinion.
Kenjar is offline   Reply With Quote

Bigots, Idiot Reviews, and Cheese Gone Bad... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reviews down. imported_Synozeer TMS Announcements and Feedback 4 01-22-2007 09:04 PM
Reviews Jarn Newbie Help 4 01-12-2006 03:06 AM
Reviews Fishy Tavern of the Blue Hand 7 09-13-2005 08:29 PM
Like Cheese? Want to see Bob die? Click here! Amnon Advertising for Players 1 07-30-2004 07:03 PM
Reviews Scorpcrys MUD Administration 4 10-03-2002 10:25 PM