Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Top Mud Sites News > Bugs and Suggestions
Click here to Register

Old 11-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
BrettH

BrettH is on a distinguished road
Post removed as much as possible.

I do want it to be understood that there was no intent to make an accusation. I do not, and did not, believe there were any shenanigans going on. I can understand, however, how the post would be viewed so I have edited this statement in its place.

Apologies for the confusion.

---Brett
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
TMSOne

TMSOne is on a distinguished road
We were hit with a DDOS attack several weeks ago which corrupted the review database. Due to the server changover etc backups were not taken correctly (cron job backing up wrong directory). They were restored to the most recent available backup and creation of new reviews disabled to prevent similar attacks until the review system can be reworked. A post indicating this was made at the time and anyone who tried to connect to TMS during that several hour period would have noticed it unresponsive.

That is all there is to it, end of story.

TMSOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
BrettH

Post removed; a detailed explanation was really unnecessary since the best thing to do was to simply remove the post.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
Kylotan

Home MUD: Abattoir (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Jellybean (Smaug)
Home MUD: ex-Dark Chambers (Merc)
Kylotan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kylotan Send a message via AIM to Kylotan Send a message via MSN to Kylotan Send a message via Yahoo to Kylotan
What, and then have anybody who saw your original post think that it got censored by the new management? That wouldn't have been a great move.
Kylotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
Perhaps it could reduce confusion by temporarily commenting out that section of the web pages?
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
BrettH

I think I'm just going to let people believe what they want to believe and not get involved at this stage.

---Brett
Old 11-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #7
TMSOne

TMSOne is on a distinguished road
We could, but there's years of reviews there still worth a read imho, with most muds not missing reviews at all.

Any muds adversely affected by this (negative reviews remain while positive reviews were lost) are welcome to drop me a note at webmaster-at-topmudsites.com to have reviews for their specific mud temporarily disabled until this is resolved.
TMSOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
Oh, I was just suggesting that the section be commented out from the top left of the main vote results pages, not that reviews be removed entirely. Those can still be accessed from the indivdual game listings, as I recall.
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road
Was the review database on the same server as something else that was the actual target for the attack? Because if not all I can say is that someone has some serious issues when they DDOS a website that is populated by many and harms none (except for Dragon Ball Z MUD "Owners" who get ****ed because of because of a review that puts their MUD in a poor light. Normally I'd expect this would be the reason except that 13 year olds can't usually pull off Denial of Service Attacks.) Then again I've seen people DOS MUDs as well when they were ousted as the leader of an in-game clan so I suppose people do stupid things like this quite often actually for what others would consider petty insignificate reasons.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote

Reviews and Impressions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reviews down. imported_Synozeer TMS Announcements and Feedback 4 01-22-2007 09:04 PM
Reviews Jarn Newbie Help 4 01-12-2006 03:06 AM
Reviews Fishy Tavern of the Blue Hand 7 09-13-2005 08:29 PM
Mud Reviews at TMS Delerak Tavern of the Blue Hand 15 08-16-2003 09:56 PM
Reviews Scorpcrys MUD Administration 4 10-03-2002 10:25 PM