Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Newbie Help
Click here to Register

Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
Sylar

Sylar is on a distinguished road
Offline mud

Ok i know this is going to sound very noobish but i want to know

I was looking around and was not exactly able to find what i was looking for and i am also a bit confused on how to put together a mud, My question is if i wanted to make a mud could i somehow download an already existing mud to my computer to play with it offline, I would not want to make it available online till i get a better feeling for the code and the way it works. Also if i am able to get it and download it to my computer where would i go and find something like that?
Sylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Newworlds
Legend

Name: NewWorlds
Home MUD: New Worlds
Newworlds will become famous soon enoughNewworlds will become famous soon enough
Re: Offline mud

Sylar,

It actually is not noobie'ish sounding at all. Many many people ask about this and this is a thread that was written specifically for your insight:

As to your specific questions. Almost all MUD libraries and engines (library is the rooms and basic code of the MUD, the engine is the functioning program that runs the mud) allow you to run the game in windows or unix depending on your platform. You just play locally. Instructions are in most MUD engine manuals.
Newworlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:15 AM   #3
Sylar

Sylar is on a distinguished road

Okay i took your suggestion and i now know i am not ready to start my own mud, Could you suggest a mud where i can go to where i can start off creating places and building objects? The mud i currently play has a set staff that i have noticed has been there awhile,so the chances of me becoming one is highly unlikely, And i would perfer not going to another one right now to start all over, So if there is one i would love to know the address
Sylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road

A good place to learn (if you have never done building on a MUD) could be . Though they use a specific codebase (tbaMUD) the general idea of what you should know can be learned there.

Perhaps other admins that frequent this forum may also be interested in training you.

Best of luck, and I believe the decision to learn more before attempting to start your own game is a wise one.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote