Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 09-11-2002, 08:48 PM   #1
Wenlin

Wenlin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wenlin
Alright, this doesn't really belong is a forum for roleplaying, but it pertains to inside the mudding world. Move this post if you want, but I really didn't think an on-topic thing belonged in the tavern.

Alright, so the question. Does food affect your character?
I'm not talking like "Oh, my druid is a vegetarian" I'm talking:
-Eating too much fatty things will hurt you from cholesterol.
-If you ate something bland, your fighting prowess will be worse than if you ate something tasty.
-Eating the same thing over and over will have negative affects.
Oh, and if you so choose to reply, does anyone's 'create food' spell make anything besides a mushroom except Godwars\Dystopia thingamagiger?

I'm not suggesting anything, but I'd like to know how big of a role eating really is for some of you.

And if you play multiple things, try and use common judgement as to which is more beneficial to my inquiry.
Wenlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 10:28 AM   #2
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:39 AM   #3
Boggis

Boggis is on a distinguished road
Boggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Sanvean

Sanvean is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sanvean
We've tweaked this somewhat: your size affects how much you can eat and drink, and there's, by my last count, some 20 food types, each with their own taste message.

One of the tweaks I've been pleased by is what you mention - making the products of the create food spell vary according to guild, race, etc: the food produced by a templar's create food spell, for example, is very different than that produced by a nomad. We;ve done the same with some other spells - create mount differs according to the guild of the caster, create wine can be affected by your clan, etc. It's little changes like this that really please me.

Do people have to pay attention to what they eat? No, although they do have to eat to stay alive. But for the people who've decided their character only likes sweet things or whatever, there's plenty of options. And adding in the cooking code has made it even more diverse, as well as putting special scripts on some items, like hot peppers, which make the consumer break out into a sweat.
Sanvean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 06:41 PM   #5
CSmith_Fan

CSmith_Fan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to CSmith_Fan
CSmith_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:13 AM   #6
Enzo

Enzo is on a distinguished road
At our MUD, food affects nothing that has to do with roleplay. Not eating or drinking slows down your healing rate, but that is OOC. People who eat in roleplay just do it because.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 01:49 AM   #7
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
Newbies are safe on our mud from dying from lack of food and water, but after a certain point you will dehydrate or starve to death. Besides that it affects little.

Vampires on our mud can drink blood from fountains, and the blood will sate their hunger and thirst better than anything. They don't die from a lack of blood though.

I've seen spam on a mud, in place of magic mucshrooms. One mud had random things, birds nest soup, chow mein, a steak, carrots etc etc.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 08:28 AM   #8
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
One aspect of this is that most players seem to detest the 'You are hungry/thirsty' messages. I never really understood why, it can't be all that hard to type 'eat pie'? And unless the messages are set to occur so often that it gets spammy, it makes perfect sence to me, that hunger and thirst should affect you negatively. In our mud you don't die from it, but sometimes I am tempted to implement that...

Being a food fan myself, I put plenty of food in the zones, so there is no need to starve. You don't even need to buy the food, you can pick berries, nuts, mushrooms and roots, or fish and hunt. But you can also dine in style on roast venison and a noble Bourdeaux wine, or satisfy your taste for junkfood in our Future zones.

We try to make the food supply correspond with the theme for the zone of course, so on a Greek island you'd eat things like shrimps, marinated octopus, moussaka and shishkebab and drink retsina, and in an Old West diner perhaps baked beans, ham and pancakes with maple syrup to your strong coffee. And in Ancient Egypt you'd feast on antelope steak and cinnamon flavoured honey cookies and drink the famous Egyptian Elephantine Beer (yes, the old Egyptians did have beer).

It should all add to the Roleplay in my opinion. Maybe a mud with a more restricted theme would also have to have a more restricted menue, but our mud is after all based on Time Travel, so the variety makes perfect sense to me.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 12:46 PM   #9
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
Well...the MUD I played on didn't really do much in the way of hunger and thirst stuff. There was food, sure. But not eating for say....the entire time your char was in existance didn't make the char lose stats or drop dead from hunger. Of course...I haven't played for a while, so it could have changed.

Since it was IC for my char's race to do so, usually I'd have her go on an eating binge every so often and then just have her nibble at food when she thought about it the rest of the time.

Of course, there were things set so that it'd seem more realistic (e.g., Bards singing for long periods of time and losing their voices for a while if they didn't drink anything.) But pretty much, what you ate/drank and how much was up to you.
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 07:15 PM   #10
Inty

Inty is on a distinguished road
At the mud I play you can make anything you want with create food

I've made a gargoyle that ate nothing but edible rocks
Inty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 03:08 PM   #11
Santrilla

Santrilla is on a distinguished road
Santrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:10 AM   #12
Lovelorn

Lovelorn is on a distinguished road
In the game I play there are amazing foods available for purchase at various places, as well as pickable fruits, and some things also get dropped by creatures or are found in treasure boxes. However, this is all there for purely RP reasons. I haven't played a MUD that allowed your character to die if you didn't eat or drink, and doubt I would. I have played some that have affects other than death, and personally I find the messaging sometimes a bit annoying.

I would like to see drinking alcoholic beverages cause various stages of drunkeness put into the game I play. It would be a lot of fun to RP, imo.
Lovelorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:38 AM   #13
Ingham

Scary how close that is to reality, even though milk and coffee are better at that, at least IRL.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:15 PM   #14
Loremaster

Loremaster is on a distinguished road
Game design is not easy, and one of the more prevalent obstacles to negotiate is the balance of 'realism' vs 'playability'.

I remember one MUD I tried years ago that required food and water. My new character starved to death in part because the system required me to eat the RL equivalent of every 2-3 hours; also in part because coins were hard to come by and the MUD was not very newbie friendly.

One of my favorite MUDs does not require eating or drinking at all. There are several taverns, and places to purchase a wide variety of foods, but it is strictly for RP. (Except alcohol, which can make your character drunk.)

This is the way I prefer it. Of course it is not difficult to type 'eat bread' each time a hunger notice comes up. Heck, I've used triggers on MUDs that required eating and drinking.

My opinion is that eating and drinking should not be required, but a variety of appropriate comestibles be supplied to allow players the chance to RP.

"But eating and drinking is SO important! We should really include this, to make the game more realistic!"

My stock answer is this: "If its really all that important and you think it really is necessary to require it, then why not include defecation?"

The answer is not really 'because that would just be disgusting!' Rather, it is because including this feature requires additional code (with all the attendant development, debugging and tweaking times) for very little increase in the playability of the game. If a character was forced to find an outhouse or build a slit trench every so often, would this really make the game more enjoyable? It is EASILY RP'd with emotes if you so desire. ** quietly slips into the bushes for a few moments before returning. **

If a MUD has various foods and drinks available to players and they are RP'ers, they will buy, eat, and drink. Dropping the requirement doesn't hurt gameplay in my opinion; on the contrary, it may help ease MUD newbies into the environment by relieving them of the constant concern of having enough food and drink to actually PLAY.

Different flavours and emits make it an enjoyable experience for all. If a MUD desires to be RP encouraged or enforced, I believe food and drink are a wonderful addition. I just believe the game is more enjoyable without hunger and thirst nags.
Loremaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:44 PM   #15
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Eating and drinking, like almost any mud feature, can add to the game - and, like any feature, a poor implementation is often worse than no implementation at all. The fact that it is usually implemented poorly does not mean that it is a bad idea.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote

Food? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What fast food place is your favorite!? Zerop Tavern of the Blue Hand 19 05-08-2002 12:10 PM