Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Introduce Yourself
Click here to Register

Old 08-26-2004, 03:23 PM   #121
Rundvelt

Rundvelt is on a distinguished road
Rundvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:12 PM   #122
Dask

Dask is on a distinguished road
Except for maybe the fact that he HAS consulted lawyers and the fact that he is the owner of said game...and he's been doing this for what, 7 years now, without a lawsuit? Including banning some people that have spent into the thousands of dollars
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #123
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I want to make sure I'm understanding the concern here.

Some people pay for points that can be spent in the game on certain things.

Some people don't pay for points and get them anyway, eventually.

Some people earn points in ways other than "paying" or "not paying."

Those are the facts as I know them.

Another fact as I know it: Some of those things that points are spent on, are things that can be taken from characters if those characters break a rule or disobey an IC superior officer or otherwise "higher ranking" character.

Please note the above has no bearing on players - it's an IC situation and affects the characters after the points are distributed.

Now...using OOC means, you get IC benefits. Once you put those benefits to use, it becomes an IC situation and has nothing to do with whether or not you acquired those benefits ICly or OOCly. The reprocussions of abusing those benefits are dealt with ICly - by stripping the character of those benefits.

The issue as I think I understand it, is that some players are given the ability to strip another player's character of certain benefits, even though that player paid cash for the points that were exchanged for those benefits.

Do I understand that correctly? Yes? Good. Now we'll get to the issue at hand:

It is no one's business but the staff and the individual player that the player paid cash for those points. HOW those points were acquired - is not YOUR business. If you are playing a guild leader character, it does not give you the right or privilege to know that Joe Newbie paid cash for his points. That is confidential information.

How do you suppose the guild leader can say "Well he paid cash so we can't kick him out, but she didn't pay cash so she's outta here?"

And how do you feel this would affect the integrity of the game, if the "haves" in real life got things that the "have nots" didn't?

By arguing against an even spread of treatment throughout the playerbase, you are suggesting that paying customers receive benefits that non-paying customers aren't entitled to.

And THAT - is the REAL issue that started all this crap. The primary basic accusation that Achaea gives things to paying members that non-paying members can't get. And because that accusation is just plain wrong - false - untrue - BECAUSE of this non-truth - Achaea cannot allow those paying customers to abuse the privilege of acquiring points and spending them inappropriately, while preventing non-paying customers from doing the same thing.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:53 PM   #124
Rundvelt

Old 08-26-2004, 05:58 PM   #125
Spoke

Spoke is on a distinguished road
Cool

Spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #126
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Strange, because earlier in the thread the_logo clearly stated "...we're just very reluctant to mess with the structures players have created and empowered. They're important parts of the world and it's hard to know how radical changes to their level of power will cascade down to the rest of the world". So which is it? Do the staff interfere with the player structures, or not?

To which...

So it is true that another player could permanently strip me of something I've paid real-life money for, simply on an IC whim?

I've been roleplaying for 17 years, and was running an RP mud long before Achaea went online; I'm well aware of the differences between IC and OOC, and the consequences associated with them. Yet I still find OOC consequences for IC actions to be a poor solution in (almost) all situations, and when those OOC consequences affect real-life money, and can be applied by other players simply on a whim, I cannot help but shake my head in amazement.

It's not this specific example I'm talking about - I really couldn't care less about some whiner being banned. It's the policy in general, and the vast amount of potential abuse it opens up by placing so much real-world power in the hands of the players.

Or to put it in more simple terms: Allowing guild members to kick out players they don't like sounds perfectly reasonable, but why let them strip those players of paid-for assets? Why not refund them the credits back, or reassign them to something else, or allow the players to convert them over to the next guild they join?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 PM   #127
Moiraine

Moiraine is on a distinguished road
the_logos is John Kerry? Flip-Flopping? Waffling?  You mean in the post prior you did not say??? -->Hi there. The law isn't black and white, but this is pretty cut and dried. We've gone over all this extensively with our legal team. We are 100% within our rights to ban players and not refund them, at any time, just like AOL is.<--

Again Sen Kerry Logos.... The swiftmud vets ask... "And you are proud of being like AOHell?  And you are proud of having the power to rob your customers left and right, and be leagally protected?"

Me.young? Nooo Dear.  You could only wish that a MUD admin/builder with my talent and reputation would even grace your MUD with a login.  I have openly oppossed the so called "Pay-to play" scamuds.  In fact, my boss at my MUD has had thoughts along your line, and I have told him exactly how I feel about it.

My snide remark was in reference to the length of this thread on such a useless subject as some clown whining about a MUD stealing from her, when she was refunded...  And how  folks with less than 10 posts seem to magically appear in support of Iron Realms Entertainment.
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:04 PM   #128
Rundvelt

Fine fine, ruin my fun. *sob
Old 08-26-2004, 08:56 PM   #129
Cierel

Cierel is on a distinguished road
Arguing by insults gets us nowhere. Arguing that Matt can't write a decent MUD is even worse than that because, clearly, enough customers disagree that he can make a living. You may find him abrasive, obnoxious, and reprehensible, but that has nothing to do with the MUD in question. Leave the Logos out of it.

Now I'll take a crack at explaining the MUD.

Guild leaders have the power to kick someone out of a guild. If the person so kicked is below a certain rank in the guild, he or she loses access all guild skills. Those who are still of the apprentice rank get a full refund of lessons whenever they leave a guild, whether by choice or by executive outguilding. Once past apprentice rank, anyone who leaves a guild, either by quitting or by being given the boot, receives back only a portion of the lessons invested. At a higher rank, a character who is ousted from a guild or who chooses to leave it retains all class skills. Should the character quit class, a different process, it loses all class skills and receives that percentage of lessons back.

Clearly there is a window in which players can strip other players of what they have earned through an investment of time, money, or both. However, the scope of those who are able to do this is limited. The guildmasters are democratically elected by guild members, and the guildmaster in turn appoints secretaries. GM and secretaries have the power to outguild. Since one is chosen by the guild as a whole and the others are chosen by this trusted person, one can hope that all these individuals are worthy of the powers granted to them, much like we hope that our government officials, both elected and appointed, are doing their jobs right.

Is there potential for abuse? Yes. Someone could arbitrarily punish another player with an outguilding for no reason at all. In practice, however, outguildings are very, very rare. It is far more common for a character unsuited to a guild to quit by choice, usually before they incur a loss of lessons in so doing. When Matt says that the admins don't interfere, it's because they don't have to. Players self-police enough that it simply isn't a problem.

This is Matt's assertion, and I second it. The burden of proof is on you to find evidence of abuse of the system. As far as I have seen, it has worked quite well as a system of justice and enforcement. It is extremely effective when used, but it rarely has to be used. More than anything else, outguilding is a deterrent and a punishment of last resort. Find examples of when the power has been misused, not when it might be misused, and you have a case.

On another note, the worry about snooping on tells is understandable but unjustified. The ability is costly enough to prevent casual use. It is always clear when it might be in use, though not necessarily when it is currently in use. Thus, one can avoid sensitive tells (incoming and outgoing), and use the more private message system instead if necessary. I have seen the ability come up in diplomatic settings, where incautious individuals end up giving away organization secrets to more canny counterparts on opposing sides, and nowhere else. It's scary, but it's not as much of a potential abuse as it may first appear, especially when players are well aware of when and how their conversations may not be entirely private.

Finally, your argument of making a case in court over lost credits is ludicrous. The disclaimer states that "your actions have consequences, and the actions of others can result in consequences for you." Your credits are guaranteed, and they are never stripped in the absence of criminal activity. What you do with those credits becomes your problem.
Cierel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:16 PM   #130
Hardestadt

Hardestadt is on a distinguished road
Hardestadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:14 AM   #131

Tells are IC communications snoopable by players?  Is there any non-player snoopable OOC communications on this game?
Old 08-27-2004, 06:28 AM   #132
Valaria

Valaria is on a distinguished road
Valaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:39 AM   #133
Dask

So sayeth the person with 5 posts....
Old 08-27-2004, 06:40 AM   #134
Dask

Messages are undetectable and commonly used for such OOC communication
Old 08-27-2004, 06:42 AM   #135
Harker

Harker is on a distinguished road
If I may add what is undoubtedly a "yes man" comment, I have been in a position of power in Achaea and abused it, and was censured heavily for it.

When I was active in Achaea, a novice who was kicked out of a guild received back 100% of their lessons spent on guild skills, and lost the guild skills. A probationary member who had not yet reached the third guildrank who was kicked out received back HALF of them.

Now, my guild was an assassin style guild (the Naga), and that class's novices are more deadly than most novices. That class gains the ability to afflict paralysis on someone, the cure for which was a rare and expensive herb which few novices had. So one troll decided he hated druids. He made a string of characters which would join one of the four assassin guilds, paralyze druid novices in the novice areas, and then kick them to death because they couldn't move or cure paralysis.

I despise that. Novice areas are inaccessible to older players (level 21 and up) and so the druids could not get help or be defended. So I made an alias which would use my guildmaster power to title the troll appropriately (Farty Pants _ McCankersore was by far my favorite. The alias then PROMOTED the troll within the guild structure and then outguilded him. The crucial promotion part means that the troll loses 50% of the lessons spent. That negates the use of that character. At level 5, all the lessons you have are what you gained on the tour, and you can't go back through.

It didn't take long (perhaps a day) for an announcement that such activities were over the line and that it was not to happen again. The announce post did not call me out directly but as I'd been crowing about the punitive effects of it, I got the point.

A few days later one of my guild secretaries who had not seen that announce did the same thing to a troll newbie. The secretary received a 90 day disfavour, lowering his skills, increasing the damage he takes, decreasing the damage he deals, and increasing the need for food and sleep. It's quite a burden. And the usual penalty is for 3-7 days.

The_logos' team acts this sternly against someone who cost a newbie 200 odd lessons that they did not pay for. And they were outguilded for sexual harrassment and use of an anatomically explicit epithet for the pudenda. But even so richly deserving of a beating, the_logos decided we'd beaten the kid too hard.

"Reprehensible?"
Harker is offline   Reply With Quote

ACHAEA RIPP OFF WARNING - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Abusive Player Warning!! Lazerous MUD Administration 15 06-19-2005 03:30 AM
A warning about GoDaddy.com Brody Tavern of the Blue Hand 32 02-03-2004 04:15 AM
OtherSpace: Storm Warning published Brody MUD Announcements 0 02-26-2003 09:18 AM
Achaea at GDC! the_logos MUD Administration 3 02-12-2003 06:24 PM
warning to all wheel-of-time mud admins nass Advertising for Staff 0 07-03-2002 06:31 AM