Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Tavern of the Blue Hand
Click here to Register

Old 06-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road
Is there a novel inside you waiting to get out?

Earlier this year I published my first novel on Amazon. I know. I know. You are already asking yourself what this has to do with MUDs.

Well, way back in the days of old, shortly after I played on my first MUD, I became a builder. For many years I’ve moved from MUD to MUD creating fun areas, memorable npcs and even a few quests that were a little more than just decent. Unfortunately, many of these MUDs never opened, or had a small player base which eventually led to the game being shut down or abandoned.

But, I liked to write, so I would do it again. And again.

There are probably a few builders out there who are nodding to themselves. Been there, done that. Right?

Here is my call to those of you who are builders, have been builders, or might be in the future, why not set aside some of that time to write a novel. Once it might have been too much of a hassle, or too difficult to get started, but that is no longer true.

You don’t need special tools to publish a novel. You can use OpenOffice for writing, GIMP to create a book cover and a GINGER for grammar checking. All free and easily available. There are lots of ways to distribute your book. Kobo, Smashwords or Amazon will serve for an ebook. CreateSpace or Lulu if you want a print copy. Even if you never sell one, you should have at least a print copy for yourself.

I’m pretty sure more people have read my book than have played in any single area that I’ve created on a MUD.

If you are running a MUD now, create the book tie in.

It isn’t easy, but hell, if you are a builder on a MUD you already know that writing is work.

Here’s my sales pitch. Not that it is really a sales pitch, since I’m not selling anything. When I started working on my novel I had to hunt and peck through a lot of resources to find what I needed. It was all out there, but it wasn’t always as easy to find as I hoped. I recently started trying to organize my notes on the steps I had to go through to publish my book. I’m posting them at

So far it covers the basic rules I followed when I use OpenOffice and provides a basic overview of how to make an ebook cover with GIMP. In the near future, I’ll be adding a section on on how to convert the OpenOffice document to html for Amazon and to a PDF for CreateSpace, and how to take the cover you made for your ebook and use it in a print copy.

If you have already published or are thinking about it, let me know. I’d love to see what the folks in the Mudding community can create. I’d be happy to post a link to your book (or your author web site) on my site.

And finally, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. At the very least I can suggest a few communities on Google+ which do a fantastic job of helping independent writers.

Take care.
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Lorana

Name: Joanna
Home MUD: End of Time
Lorana is on a distinguished road
Re: Is there a novel inside you waiting to get out?

I've always used the excuse that I started MUDding to perfect my ability to step into different characters for the purpose of writing. I've yet to actually write, though. Great tips - thanks for sharing!
Lorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Parhelion

Name: Sarah
Home MUD: Ethos
Parhelion is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Parhelion

If you are an amateur writer who just wants to get their feet wet, I recommend joining a community like Wattpad.

Sure, there's a lot of fanfiction, but a lot of independent writers who now publish through Amazon (successfully) got a start here. They also run a number of contests to try and challenge your writing skills.
Parhelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

Very nice and instructive page, Sombalance!

I actually have a couple of unpublished novels myself, lying in my drawers somewhere. Perhaps I'll be sufficiently inspired by your achievements to actually do something about them.
I'll have to translate them into English first, of course, they are written in Swedish...
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Darren Brimhall

Darren Brimhall is on a distinguished road

Actually Molly, you can publish in Swedish first...

Then publish in English.

It wouldn't hurt you know.

Darren Brimhall
Darren Brimhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough

I have to rewrite it anyhow, since it was so many years ago, that it was written on an oldfashioned typewriter.
Yeah - it was that long ago... We used Tippex and correction tape... Hard to believe these days, and actually a bit terrifying.

Anyhow, I can just as well translate it at the same time, that will at least make the rewrite a bit less monotonous. And if there is anything I gained for wasting over 15 years on creating Mud zones, it did at least improve my English...
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Darren Brimhall

Oh God...

I remember trying to write with Liquid Paper and sandwiched carbon sheets...

Darren Brimhall
Old 07-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae

I've actually begun work again on my novel that is the story of a character I had originally created for sort of "fanfiction" about the mud I played, and who I later created as a character in the game. I've found that my characters' stories become too big and involved to be contained in play on the mud though, and so I've had to turn to another medium to really develop them and say everything that I want to say. It's hard when there's so much inner detail and hidden secrets of their past that other players in the mud miss out on. And so it's nice to be able to fully tell their story. Now I just have to work on the self-discipline to keep writing every day.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Darren Brimhall

For Fiction, I try writing out one full page a day.

For Comic Book scripts, ten panels a day.

Some days, I simply fly--while others I struggle.

But do try meeting your own personal goals.

Its worth it.

Darren Brimhall
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Sombalance

Sombalance is on a distinguished road

One of the best, open sources for anything related to writing is the Writer's Discussion Group on Google+

If you have a question about anything, there is probably a dozen people there who will be able to give you some bit of useful advice.

I recently got some advice about Wattpad that is worth sharing. If you don't want to feel overwhelmed finish your story before you post it there. I've been thinking of posting a few things there, but I don't want to get too distracted from my current work in progress.

The advice here () seems like it might be helpful. It's sort of quick guide to how do write a short story. It might be one way to go if you do want to try getting your feet wet at Wattpad.

Sombalance
Sombalance is offline   Reply With Quote