Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > MUD Players and General Discussion > Roleplaying and Storytelling
Click here to Register

Old 07-27-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Ever had a character that started out one way in your mind, when you first entered a roleplaying MU*, but had it evolve into something totally unexpected over time? Share those experiences in this thread!
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Yes! One that really stands out was my first character in the current game I play.

I created her just to test out the commands and syntax of the game. I picked what I felt was the most well-rounded city-based skillset, according to what I'd read in the documentation. In this way, I figured I could become useful as an employee of a noble house, whether as an aide OR a guard.

I had to explain why she suddenly showed up out of nowhere the first day I logged in, so I RPed that she was from the opposite end of the world, and had been abused by the farmers she lived with and ran away from home to explore.

She was intended originally to be extremely sweet-tempered, polite and well-groomed, with no particular twitches or anything like that.

She ended up as a double-agent secret spy for two different clans, set up the assassinations of one noble and several commoners, and hung out at one of the more notorious taverns in the city.

She also became a fanatic of devotion to that city's sorcerer-king, believing in her heart of hearts that everything she did was to benefit him.

Good times - she got killed by her secret clan boss.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 AM   #3
kalaazar

kalaazar is on a distinguished road
Me too! Though my experience was rather the opposite of Jazuela's.

I wrote said character with the intention of being a double-agent, working to overthrow the current regime of things. But I made the mistake of trying to show how 'evil' and morally bankrupt she was, so my imms gave me a good whack on the head, and I started playing more of the truth of my character. That she -was- incredibly sheltered and empathetic, it was merely her reasoning that was slightly skewed (according to the rest of the world, I still think she was in the right.

It made the RP all that much more enjoyable. And in the end she too got killed by her clan boss, though not her secret one.
Fun, fun!
kalaazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Benreece

Benreece is on a distinguished road
Kalaazar, and Jazuela where talking about Arm weren't they? anyway I had a Water Elementalist who was polite, kind, and very helpful, but over the course of time he slowly changed, and became an evil, spy who worked for the "guild", unofortauntly my Water Elementalist had no combat spells, and ended up getting killed a day later.
Benreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:55 AM   #5
Mnemosyne

Mnemosyne is on a distinguished road
Mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:24 AM   #6
kalaazar

kalaazar is on a distinguished road
kalaazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
tehScarecrow

tehScarecrow is on a distinguished road
tehScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
It's a common experience to have characters that move beyond your original concept. Same for life.

I've had characters that were designed to be poor end up well-to-do, characters that started out pious commit all sorts of deeds that violated their religion's philosophy (of course, the point was that they were able to "justify" in their own mind their acts, much like religious hypocrites today), and characters that ended up in places and lifestyles that they despised when they started. All of these were, to note, the natural progression of the character and not a case of me violating the character concept so much as their inability to fight circumstance. Just like life.

Unfortunately.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #10
Dalar Ragnos

Dalar Ragnos is on a distinguished road
Dalar Ragnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:41 AM   #11
Shiro

Shiro is on a distinguished road
My character went from being someone who avoided relationships at all cost and warned against them to being a well known heartbreaker and ladykiller, all because I was bored one summer day and decided to give another facet of the game a shot. He ended up having several relationships, one with a follower of an evil god his guild opposed, and betrayed the one woman who was almost totally devoted to him to get married to his first love.

It was quite a ride.
Shiro is offline   Reply With Quote