Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Coding
Click here to Register

Old 03-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Sargas

Sargas is on a distinguished road
GREAT NEWS, also Bad News. Need Help once again

Thanks for the help in the past folks its been really helpful however I scrapped the pure Diku went with a circle and its going GREAT however getting a error and crashing only crashing error I have so that is good.
Anyhow heres the ERROR that Crash's us.

Mar 13 00:09:04 :: SYSERR: Missed 541 seconds worth of pulses.
Mar 13 00:22:34 :: SYSERR: Received SIGHUP, SIGINT, or SIGTERM. Shutting down...
SYSERR: bind: Address already in use

Any help would be Appreciate Also if you know even a New coder we are looking for some Help.
More Brains would be helpful Again this is a CIRCLE3.1 with modifications.
Sargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Pymeus

Home MUD: tharel.net
Pymeus is on a distinguished road
Re: GREAT NEWS, also Bad News. Need Help once again

Can you put this into context for us? What's going on at or just before the time of the crash? Does the game indeed experience 9 minutes of uninterrupted lag?

Are we looking at a crash or is the game hanging? What I'm seeing here would be consistent with the game entering an infinite loop (or possibly blocked waiting for input) for 541 seconds, followed by someone hitting ctrl-c or terminating the process.

What kind of CPU usage is the game showing during this time? A blocked syscall would show no CPU usage, while an infinite loop would show very high usage unless another CPU-intensive process is running.
Pymeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Sargas

Sargas is on a distinguished road

THANKS for the response, as of the lag we have experienced some lag but not 9 minutes consistantly as far as usage I have no idea because I havent seen were I have access to that (I dont own the server)
and nobody has been hitting ctrl c. hope this answers the unasnwered questions.
Sargas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Fizban

Name: Brandon
Home MUD: The Builder Academy
Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Fizban is on a distinguished road

I have a strong suggestion. CircleMUD development ended 15 years ago. CircleMUD is now developed under the name tbaMUD. since it seems you have not modified much yet I sincerely it would greatly be in your best interest to scrap CircleMUD 3.1 and use tbaMUD 3.58 or preferably the SVN repository which we use between releases (there have been a few small bugfixes we've made since the 3.58 release you'd get that way). tbaMUD basically is CircleMUD 3.1 except with an active community behind it and it is still maintained by developers. A more complete description can be found below:

tbaMUD is an acronym for The Builder Academy Multi User Dungeon - And we use it to mean both the Academy for training, and the codebase that is made freely available to the community.

TbaMUD's vision is to provide the MUDding community a stable and functional codebase that includes an in-depth World and help files that makes it ready to be molded into a custom MUD by its coders and builders. We also provide multiple resources to allow for feedback, contribution, and the sharing of ideas within the MUDding community to ensure constant development and improvements.

TbaMUD is highly developed from the programming side, but highly UNdeveloped on the game-playing side. So, if you're looking for a huge MUD with billions of spells, skills, classes, and races, tbaMUD will disappoint you. TbaMUD still has only the 4 original Diku classes, the original spells, and the original skills. On the other hand, if you're looking for a highly stable, developed, organized, and well documented "blank slate" MUD on which you can put your OWN ideas for spells, skills, and classes, then tbaMUD is what what you are looking for.

tbaMUD 3.58 can be downloaded here:
The svn repository can be obtained by typing this in your shell: svn checkout tbamud.com/svn/circlemud/circlemud tbamud

Please do sign up to tbaMUD.com and ask any questions you may have on the forums and we will do our best to help you. If you have any questions you'd prefer to be answered "in person" log onto tbamud.com:9091 and ask Rumble, Jamdog, or myself. Usually one of us is at the keyboard, Rumble and I live in eastern US and Jamdog lives in the UK. (Just so you can get an idea of timezones which we are likely to be available.) There may be other people on the MUD but they are likely to be builders being taught and not staff that would be able to answer your questions satisfactorily.

Last edited by Fizban : 03-13-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Fizban is offline   Reply With Quote