Top Mud Sites Forum Return to TopMudSites.com
Go Back   Top Mud Sites Forum > Mud Development and Administration > MUD Administration
Click here to Register

Old 08-13-2002, 10:53 PM   #1
Crystal

Name: Crystal
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Home MUD: Advent of the Mists
Crystal is on a distinguished road
I've been building my MUD for well over a year now, and have been hosted with GenesisMUD during that time. And I have no problem with their packages or anything, except that you can NEVER contact them.

It's been almost a month, since I've e-mailed them with a simple question and no reply. I don't think they've ever answered any of my e-mails, and frankly, I'm getting really annoyed.

I've looked through some other hosts, Kyndig, Wolfpaw, Betterbox, but I wanted some input from people with more 'hosting' experience than myself.

In your opinion, who is a good host and why? Who do you suggest?
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 01:07 AM   #2
smadronia

smadronia is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to smadronia
My fiancee and I have had our mud on both Betterbox and Kyndig. Of the two, I'd choose Kyndig, they have better servers and support.

Every time we've had a problem they've answered out e-mails in less than 24 hours. They e-mailed us not that long ago to tell us we had a possible security problem, and that evening someone who worked there logged into the mud to make sure we'd fixed it. They send us billing reminders well ahead of time, and if it's close to the due date and you haven't paid they e-mail you and ask if you still want hosting. If they adjust pricingdown, they'll give you a credit back on pre-paid months if that happens, and if it goes up your pre paid months aren't charged the increase.

What I like best about Kyndig is the customizing of your package. Betterbox doesn't let you do that, and we had problems with that. We were pushing the ram limits on our package, and we didn't need all the stuff the next step up had. We had been told we could just pay extra for more RAM, but we never got an answer on it. With Kyndig we didn't have that problem.
smadronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 09:26 AM   #3
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
I've had experience with a few hosts, so far. Mainly from working on friends' MUDs with them. BetterBox, MUDs R Us (I think that was the name), Arthmoor, and a few others.

Out of all of those, the one I'd recommend is . (a website, not a MUD) has been hosted with Arthmoor since the creation of it, and I've not had a single problem yet, and Samson has never seem to have the least bit of problem in helping me out with getting something working properly. I also know a few people who are hosting their MUDs with Arthmoor, and I've never heard any complaints.

If you happen to need a list of MUD Hosts, you can find a list at MUD Planet, under the Hosts section. As far as I know, MUD Planet has the largest list of MUD Hosts out.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 10:48 AM   #4
Brianna

Brianna is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Brianna Send a message via MSN to Brianna Send a message via Yahoo to Brianna
Question

I would suggest Lancerochelle.com.

Lance is quick to respond to any questions or problems, his prices are reasonable, and there is very little downtime from the server as whole. Any scheduled downtime he notifies you in advance.

I would happily recommend his server to any mud.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:27 PM   #5
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

I'd recommend . Relatively new, but the rates are great and they're very responsive. Just moved OtherSpace to them in July.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:33 PM   #6
tresspassor

tresspassor is on a distinguished road
I highly recommend Wolfpaw

I've used wolfpaw for the last 1 1/2 years for my mud, all i can say is they've been really really great!

I've used their support system quite a few times and have gotten quick responses.

With a few very important issues I've given them phone calls, and usually Dale will answer and walk through the problem I'm having right there and fix it while i'm on the phone.
tresspassor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:53 PM   #7
Xanferious

Xanferious is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xanferious
i would go with kyndig or xidus, xidus.net is what i use and never had a problem with em but hey thats my 00.02
Xanferious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
Belgarath

Re: Your preference on a MUD Host

The MUD that I play hosts theirs on HostGator. Although a friend of mine was recently recommending DreamHost.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Zivilyn

Name: Dave
Home MUD: Ansalon.net
Zivilyn is on a distinguished road
Re: Your preference on a MUD Host

I used Wolfpaw for ages, Dale's great there.
In fact we moved there from Mudservices (*wipes a tear*) in 2000.
Even through a mud split and other servers I came back to him and had great service.
He's mainly doing more Virtual hosting and dedicated machines now, but still has some mud hosting.
We ended up moving to a Virtual machine with linode while I was away on sabbatical (divorce etc), and are still there mainly due to price.
Zivilyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Your preference on a MUD Host - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyndig as host? ScourgeX MUD Administration 6 06-11-2015 08:56 AM
MudMagic Host Provider Kyndig MUD Announcements 1 04-08-2004 04:31 PM
Host Sharing asura MUD Announcements 2 03-21-2004 01:59 AM
What will it take to host your MUD? Rhuarc MUD Announcements 0 12-27-2003 12:20 PM
Need Temp. host for my MUD Straud Advertising for Staff 0 04-08-2003 06:00 PM